Help On How to beat the level "The Isle Of Anduin"

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

energyman76c

Post by energyman76c »

Hi,
I usually send Delfador, some mages and horsemen to the left (west) and some elves (everything that is leveled up or close to it) south.

Delfi will take some damage, but with a little bit of luck and no fear to retreat, when appropriate, the mages and horsemen will make some xp.
The elves will hide in the forest near the orcish castle (one shaman is a good choice as supporter), wait for the opportune moment (when the first wave of orcs is crushed and Delfi, the mages and horsemen are close), and than attack the Leader.

Anduin is easy - Valley of Death and Princess Battlefield are a lot harder ;)
Stiles

Post by Stiles »

Easy!?

This morning I had the computer on the ropes by taking all of his villages, but i run out of turns - that orcish captain is a real hoss.

I had some sucess leading the mage down as his magic attack is really strong, but he ended up biting the dust.

I'll have another go, last time I used mainly archers, scouts and shamans - this time i'll try mages.

Thanks!
'Are you mad my lord? Are you out of your princely wits?' (The Duchess of Malfi, 5.2.53-54).
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

You need about 4-6 units going south and then west to kill the orc leader. It helps a lot, if you have a marksmen going with them. He hits 60% all the time and he can lower the hitpoints of the orc leader real quick. Him and two archers or maybe a horsemen can finish the leader in one turn. Make sure that it is day when you reach him.

Also try to wait, until the main force is far away and can't get back in time, then rush for the leader.

In the north, you must hold ground against the main orc army. Luckily, it does not get there in one piece. The wolfriders are fastest and will reach you first. One option, as others already said, is to establish a defence line at the river. The problem is, that the line is quite long and your units have no good defense (still better than the orcs in the water though). So you need enough units to enable cycling through. If the line gets broken somewhere you have a big problem: You are standing on grassland, having bad defense and probably are outnumbered. So if you feel like you can't hold the line anymore, retreat into the woods near the castle. There you have excellent defense (with elves at least) and should be able to withstand, even if being slightly outnumbered.

Keep Delfador in the north to help against the main force as well as Konrad to supply new recruits. If the orc wave is broken, march forward and kill the rest. But at that time you already should have assasined their leader.

In this scenario i wouldn't care about collecting money in the west. Playing on a difficult level (normal/hard) you most likely will not be able to hold the villages. You might want to try to get a couple before the orcs arrive. It gets a little bit extra income and you need every piece of gold you can get. Much more important is to end the scenario early. That gives you more gold than village collecting can do.

Another tactic which was also mentioned before is to send one or two scouts in the (north-)west and collect villages. They are doomed for sure but they distract a couple of orcs and get some extra income. I am not sure though, if it's worth it.
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Stiles

Post by Stiles »

I tried again, and ripped through the orcs.

I did establish a front by the river, but I made sure I brought Dal along. I had archers, warriors, shamans and a few mages going west, and then I had a party of archers, warriors and scouts going south.

I took all the buildings in the west and found that his army completely dried up, leaving me to pile in on his leader.

Thanks for the advice everyone, now I've got to try and beat the Bay of Pearls mission!
'Are you mad my lord? Are you out of your princely wits?' (The Duchess of Malfi, 5.2.53-54).
Huche_wawa

Post by Huche_wawa »

ah... this is the patheticly easy one that comes after the one where you get horsemen right? just make some horsemen and send them away with Delfodor leading.
[/rant]

kill one man your a murderer
kill ten men your a monster
kill a hundred your a hero
kill a Thousand your a legend
Beleth

Post by Beleth »

Huche_wawa wrote:ah... this is the patheticly easy one that comes after the one where you get horsemen right?
I don't think it's "pathetically easy" if you haven't played the game much before. I certainly didn't find it to be that easy. :)
anatelos

more boots

Post by anatelos »

I started badly in this scenario, too, spending my 100 gold on recalls. Now starting with fighters and a shaman, I send two guys south for the villages and defend the village just across the river west with mages and troops.

As the gold comes in I can recall.

Works also on hard.
Beleth

Re: more boots

Post by Beleth »

anatelos wrote:I started badly in this scenario, too, spending my 100 gold on recalls. Now starting with fighters and a shaman, I send two guys south for the villages and defend the village just across the river west with mages and troops.
Huh... I'll have to give that a thought sometime. :) Thanks!
im the one you think of

Post by im the one you think of »

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7064

if your having trouble with any of the first few levels than this is a great thread to use

but if you just want everyone else to tell you than ill give it a go although im not very good at wesnoth compared to most of the people on here

by this level you should have between 2 and 5 level 2s (obviously some first timers wont have that) in those level twos should be a druid and an elvish captain for healing and leadership. recall as many level twos as you can with any money left over buy level ones that you think your army needs send a scout or ahorseman south to collect villages if your lucky they wont be challenged, then send the ret of them east, use delfy to collect villages (he shouldnt kill anyone he doesnt get level up apart from amla) put your 4 strongest units in the forest thats there and back them up with your captain and druid if knorad is level 2 he can provide leadership for the mage and other level ones you may have bought. use archers to weaken enemies then finish them with the mage for xp (so he can level into whatever mage you choose i suggest white mage for healing) then put fighters in the front line to defend from the counterattack keep this up until youve beaten the first wave then advance picking off the units that will be on their own and tak the enemy castle in one ture

hope that helps
Ssshh! I'm secretly male.
Huche_wawa

Post by Huche_wawa »

Beleth wrote:
Huche_wawa wrote:ah... this is the patheticly easy one that comes after the one where you get horsemen right?
I don't think it's "pathetically easy" if you haven't played the game much before. I certainly didn't find it to be that easy. :)
really? i beat it first time round right after installing it.
[/rant]

kill one man your a murderer
kill ten men your a monster
kill a hundred your a hero
kill a Thousand your a legend
Beleth

Post by Beleth »

Huche_wawa wrote:really? i beat it first time round right after installing it.
You must be more of a natural than I am. :)
krunzi

Post by krunzi »

yeah i had a relatively easy time at this map too, but htis is how it's relatively easy to do it.

i recall wahtever lvl 2 units i have from before, otehr than that, mages and archers, and a single elvish scout. first round send elfador up to the house north-west of base camp, and get the mage, send the mage across teh water to the little island and take the camp.
turn two send elvish scout south to start taking all the houses down there.
send mages etc, including delfador, across the water, keep archers etc. in the forests/on houses. wait for their few fast riders to get up there first, your archers, mages and delfador take them out and walk a bit south, the next will be some scattered riders and soem archers, these shouldn't be that hard. remember that there are alot of houses here, and you regain hit points when you stand on them, so if you have a lvl 2 unit in danger just move him on a house for a few turns.
while this is going on your rider should be getting more houses, and you get more money, save them if you want, or use them on troops if need be, and then just continue down and kill the orc leader. thanks to all the houses this map can be done with minimal loses if you do it carefully, or if you have alot of 2nd lvl units, you can rush through and get alot of extra money for doing it quickly.
ponkan

Post by ponkan »

The main thing you'll want to do here is to divide the orc leader's army, that always makes any scenario much easier. Send units in both directions, either fast units that can harrass a squad, or sturdy units that can take a beating for longer, giving your main force time to acheive its objective. Remember to consider terrain and time of day when making tactical decisions, and you should do fine.

I wouldn't say that this scenario is pathetically easy, but it's definitely do-able; I didn't have any level two's when I started this scenario, but the cavalry from the previous scenario and the mage in this scenario definitely saved my bacon. Charging during the daytime rocks, and I'm happy anytime I have a guarantee'd 70% chance to hit.
There is no good, nor evil. Things are; that is all.
Dwarvish Bard

Post by Dwarvish Bard »

ponkan wrote:The main thing you'll want to do here is to divide the orc leader's army, that always makes any scenario much easier. Send units in both directions, either fast units that can harrass a squad, or sturdy units that can take a beating for longer, giving your main force time to acheive its objective.
That's what I've settled on. I send my main force westward, and start working my way southward. I advance slowly at first, so the enemy troops will be scattered as they reach you and you can pick them off piecemeal. This also allows time to build up my own force.

I use a couple of elvish scouts to grab the towns to the north, then send them way around to the east of the lake. They can grab the cities in the woods to the south, and a lot of the enemy will be drawn off the main front to contest control of the cities. The scouts can survive pretty well in the woods, and if things get too hot they just run away back toward my base.

On the main front, be sure to use enough troops to change them out of the line when they get hurt too bad, and some shamans to back them up. Use Defaldor to blow away any serious threat that develops, but mostly let your grunts do the work so they'll get the experience. I usually keep Konrad at the base to provide a steady stream of recruits/recalls until about mid game, by which time I can go on the offensive on both fronts and usually get Konrad there in time to reap some of the experience.

I get some recruits as well as recalls, and use the ones with the least promising attributes as cannon fodder and as screens when approaching the enemy keep. By the time of the final assault I usually have enough missile troops to take out the enemy leader without too much risk of losing any of my good units.
Lanarkian

Post by Lanarkian »

Don't use scouts! Rather, use a horseman to go South and a horseman to go West with the rest of your army. I do this because Scouts are wimpy and pathetic and a Knight/Lancer could kick a Rider's A** soooo easily!