What should I have to win Princess of Wesnoth?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Keelta MacRonan
Location: At Helm's Deep,assisting in the final defence of the Hornburg

Re: What should I have to win Princess of Wesnoth?

Post by Keelta MacRonan »

Filin wrote: plus Konrad (2nd level) and Delfador of course.

Konrad should probably be lvl 3 by now.
Filin

Post by Filin »

I did it!!! :D And I'm happy now.

...And I did it with what I had.

The main problem was my ill-balanced army. And lack of money of course...
The trick was - "less levelled units, more cannon fodder". Levelled units were TOO expensive and died too often without protection (mages not good as main fighters).
I used many Elv. fighters (forests) and a few horsemen (days) - their main task was not to die very quickly.
I was very attentive in defense and village stealing.

Now I have more levelled units, but my army still ill-balanced and I must fix it or I go back.. and fix it.

Thank you all for your help!
Filin

Post by Filin »

Gandledorf wrote:Well, people have different leveling priorities... you have to husband the enemy XP and decide where you're going to allocate new levels. For example Filin had 2 White Mages and a Red Mage at the beginning of this level, plus a Rogue. It took me until Sceptre of Fire, I think, to get my second White Mage, and I never levelled up outlaw units. I also never got Lancers or Elvish Riders.
Oh, it were eventualities rather then priorities - I just didn't know what types
of units whould be better for next levels...
Glowing Fish

Mermen?

Post by Glowing Fish »

Did you have any Mermen? They are good at holding the river.
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
Disto

Post by Disto »

Gandledorf wrote:Well, people have different leveling priorities... you have to husband the enemy XP and decide where you're going to allocate new levels. For example Filin had 2 White Mages and a Red Mage at the beginning of this level, plus a Rogue. It took me until Sceptre of Fire, I think, to get my second White Mage, and I never levelled up outlaw units. I also never got Lancers or Elvish Riders.

If you have any Quick Avengers or Sharpshooters they can serve just as well as mounted troops... for now. But when you get out of the caves you're going to need tons of riders and you really only have until Dwarven Doors to promote em.

I'm out of the cave and i haven't got many mounted units, only 2 Outriders, a grand knight, paladin and a lancer. What i find, is i try not to use any units which can't level, which gives me more of a challenge but also means i can't waste any xp.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

I'm not nuts about using units that can't upgrade, but I have two max-level units that I always recall : a dextrous/quick sharpshooter and a strong/resilient lancer. I always recall them because they can take out just about anything. The sharpshooter is hell to keep alive but deals 11-5 damage on range with marksman (nearly as good as Delfador!!!) ; the lancer, in broad daylight and if the ennemy doesn't have any resistance to pierce deals 32-3 damage (ennemy deals double damage too, though), and I can lead him... he becomes something like 39-3. I very rarely use smilies, but :twisted:
Disto

Post by Disto »

Casual User wrote:I'm not nuts about using units that can't upgrade, but I have two max-level units that I always recall : a dextrous/quick sharpshooter and a strong/resilient lancer. I always recall them because they can take out just about anything. The sharpshooter is hell to keep alive but deals 11-5 damage on range with marksman (nearly as good as Delfador!!!) ; the lancer, in broad daylight and if the ennemy doesn't have any resistance to pierce deals 32-3 damage (ennemy deals double damage too, though), and I can lead him... he becomes something like 39-3. I very rarely use smilies, but :twisted:
The valley of Death is sooo fun... i had been training white mages through the entire campaign, thats why i had 3 white mages and a red mage. But a lancer with holy water, you can just plonk on the village with holy water and he would kill the WCs and wouldn't wear down untill he managed to AMLA and then he was full again.
Creator of the Marauders
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

I used an Elvish Champion with Holy Water against them once. He took them down in one hit and they usually missed him too, even though he was on Grassland...
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Disto

Post by Disto »

I don't like using my lvl. 3 units, i much prefer use level 2 units, it's why i have so many level 3s, i train level 1s and don't give the level 3s a chance to get killed.
Creator of the Marauders
ChowGuy

Post by ChowGuy »

Well I made it through without losing anyone, and without recruiting any new units here or in Crossroads (except the two loyal Elves) but for all the units she throws at you I didn't get any new levels from her either. OK, one, a poacher I brought back who only 2XP down to begin with. I sent him South because I didn't like the look of that mine shaft, and he was one the best mountain units I had yet still expendable. He got was 2XP at the point of a crossbow but hey, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger :p. Didn't get the kill though, Stormy the Merman who was supposed to be lgrabbing villages got that.

Unfortunately my one Lancer, himself the formerly "expendable" Horseman who survived Elensfar, got more kills then anyone else, knocking off at least four cavalry and a mage, but going too deep in the red zone twice. The loyal Red Mage picked up 32 on Li'sar plus an ogre, with a strong assist from Delf who the ogre had gone straight for in melee.

Was lined up for the kill when her last remaining cavelry bugged out, she made some nasty comment about "not enough force" and pulled another squad of heavys out of thin air. Total tiime to finish them off, 13 turns. *sigh* Easy is way too easy.
unsung

Post by unsung »

you need knights and horsemen to battle on the plains. other than that use a bucnh of level ones witht the captains leadership to beat the enemy. and level him up while your at it, because level three leaders are useful.

I cant be of much help, becaus eI don't understand how this scenario is difficult.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

In general, I'll recall 1-3 level 3 units to help out the level 1s and 2s as they level up. If the level 3s ever drop to near critical levels I play very cautiously with them and/or drop them on a village for a while, but mainly it's the lower-level units that are at risk.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Filin

Re: Mermen?

Post by Filin »

Glowing Fish wrote:Did you have any Mermen? They are good at holding the river.
Do you mean that you used mermen as your main defence force in this scenario?
unsung

Post by unsung »

I always recall every level three I have unless, they aren't effective in the map I'm on (no maulers in caves.). otherwise, why level them up? :roll:
of cours eI usually finish with onl yhalf the turns used up, so I don't even need to care about upkeep. :D
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Re: Mermen?

Post by Rhuvaen »

Glowing Fish wrote:Did you have any Mermen? They are good at holding the river.
Holding the river against what? At least when I played this scenario, my merman didn't arrive in time before the enemies were well driven back over the river...