What should I have to win Princess of Wesnoth?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Filin

What should I have to win Princess of Wesnoth?

Post by Filin »

Hi All.

I have troubles with Princess of Wesnoth.
As far as I know this scenario supposed to be easy, but it's NOT EASY for me at all!

I play in normal difficulty and it's my 2nd try in Wesnoth.

I have:
320 gold,
2 3rd level units (Elv. Outrider and Elv. Sharpsuter),
10 2nd level units (Elv. Captain, Elv. Lord, Elv Druid, Elv Rider, Red Mage, 2 White Mage, Knight, Rogue and Merman - with trident),
plus Konrad (2nd level) and Delfador of course.

Is it enough? And if it isn't what should I have?

Pleeeease help me - or I'll go crazy!
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Hmm. I usually start with more gold in this scenario. The Princess's units are nasty if you fight on the grassland, so if you're going to rush the enemy, you need loads of cannon fodder. The other strategy is the fortify the forests on the near side of the river and let the AI suicide its units against high-defense defenders, although you still need a bunch of cannon fodder.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

It's not an easy scenario. It's the first time you face a significant amount of level 2 troops, and have to beat them (not run away).

You have a few levelled units, but no substantial fighters! Apart from the Elvish Captain, there's no one for the front line who can soak melee damage and deal it in return. When I played that scenario, I was holding the bridge with an Elvish Marshal and a couple of heroes, and I had three or four knights which could often deal a death blow to the mages before the reached my lines, and could contest the villages on the east side of the river.

What you need to do then is to be prepared to lose a lot of fighters - and you'll need patience. If I were you, I'd wait in the forests for the enemy's first wave to come to you. Their cavalry will have a hard time there, but you need to be careful not to give them too many villages. Beat them during the night, retreat or stay put during the day. Do this until most of the second wave of mages and swordsmen are gone. Then you need to race to finish the map in time...

If you want to do the previous scenarios again, make sure you level more fighters. Your gold is fine otherwise. But I'm sure the map can be beaten with what you have, but the margin for error is minimal. :)
Filin

Post by Filin »

Elvish Pillager wrote: Hmm. I usually start with more gold in this scenario. The Princess's units are nasty if you fight on the grassland, so if you're going to rush the enemy, you need loads of cannon fodder.
Yes I feel lack of money - but I don't sure that I can gain mach more from the Crossroads...
Rhuvaen wrote:It's not an easy scenario.
Glad to hear!
Rhuvaen wrote:If you want to do the previous scenarios again, make sure you level more fighters. Your gold is fine otherwise. But I'm sure the map can be beaten with what you have, but the margin for error is minimal.
Oh. I'll try this nightmare again then - with what I have... Thank you!
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

Good afternoon!

I remembered princess of Wesnoth as being easy, but I checked my save and I had started with 860 gold...

You can milk crossroads for gold, the armies aren't too strong and you can rush east and kill the orcish leader fast, even if you get a little less xp. Still, there aren't that many villages. The best way to save up money for this is to have had a good 'Siege of Elensefar'. Turn number is a little low except on easy, but there's a good number of villages. Finish early, and you should have a good bonus...

The princess's army is skilled (plenty of lvl 2's) but rather small. Surround and destroy...

Apart from this, my favorite tactic is to make a sort of wall of fighters (they're cheap) to soak up attacks and have archers and knights behind it. The fighters die but the archers weaken down the ennemy and the knights finish them off. It works great against most of the ennemies except spearmen/pikemen where I use only archers.

P.S. One thing really did bug me when I did the scenario : swordsmen have 4 hits and deal a lot of damage, so I found them to be hell on mages.

P.P.S. It's also somewhat easier to finish the scenario through a shortcut. The princess's army moves south towards you, is kinda slow and often too small to effectively block passage towards the camp. Concentrate your regular forces on the northernmost of her units, then a few lancers can easily sneak by and kill the princess while half her army is still on the field...
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

A nice tactic I used is to move most of the troops to the bridge and the forests near it, and send a lancer and other fast riders over the river far down south, and when the main army of the princess is going for the bridge and that direction, assassinate the princess with some fast horse units.

This strategy doesn't bring that much xp, on the other hand.
Elvish_Pillager

Ankka wrote:This strategy doesn't bring that much xp, on the other hand.
Oh, I don't know about that. If you're in a position where you know you can end the game this turn, you can afford to be very reckless in XP-grabbing.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

And then, your units miss six times in a row and you lose half your army having been too reckless (possibly Kalenz or Delfador too)... Seriously, I always have the worst of luck when I do a reckless charge because I'm sure to win.
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
Ankka wrote:This strategy doesn't bring that much xp, on the other hand.
Oh, I don't know about that. If you're in a position where you know you can end the game this turn, you can afford to be very reckless in XP-grabbing.
Except when there aren't that many enemy units close enough and you haven't recalled/recruitted that much guys to try the plan I posted above..
Gandledorf

Post by Gandledorf »

Gold isn't an issue on this level, it's whether you have trained a good mounted contingent. You only have a Knight and an Elvish Outrider :( I would recommend going back a few levels and promoting at least 4 Knights.

This level is easy if you have the right material... just recall your Grand Knight and/or Lancer, a Paladin for healing (quick Shyde is even better!) and zoom straight for Li'sar. The AI scatters that gigantic army, it's easy for you to penetrate to the keep.

You can beat Gryphon Mountain the same way actually.
Disto

Post by Disto »

Gandledorf wrote:Gold isn't an issue on this level, it's whether you have trained a good mounted contingent. You only have a Knight and an Elvish Outrider :( I would recommend going back a few levels and promoting at least 4 Knights.

This level is easy if you have the right material... just recall your Grand Knight and/or Lancer, a Paladin for healing (quick Shyde is even better!) and zoom straight for Li'sar. The AI scatters that gigantic army, it's easy for you to penetrate to the keep.

4 Knights! Are you in your right mind! All you need a is maybe 2 knights max and a outrider or a couple of riders. A lancer is useful. Your overpowering you play mate, the amount of xp to get a grand knight is huge and a shyde too, your even suggesting a paladin, this is like 7 levels into the game.

I suggest you get them to try and get most of their forces to try and cross the river in the north, if it is unlikely you'll be able to take the princess out with the knight,outrider and the other rider , then take the Elvish Lord any maybe the druid following the coast and cross the river in the south.

Northerly take Konrad and Delfador with 1 white mage and some lvl. 1s, 2-3 fighters and 2 archers, and try to fight around the bridge. Don't cross the river untill all of the opposing forces are wiped out.

Along the river, quite far upstream but not quite near the bridge, have your Captain, Red mage, White and Rogue, hopefully with the Lord and the Druid as well, with as many level 1s you can still afford to just hold them there and damage them. Have the Merman in the river ready to shoot off between the Northerly battle and here to catch anything which stays in the water. Preferably here you want to keep fighting on the river bank but if you start to get too stretched try to retreat back to the forest. Make sure you don't directly use your white mage too much.

Once the forces in the North have been taken out, cross the river, most of their forces will be going to fight in the centre there so try to cut off the units coming from the princess with this small force, hopefully by now you'll get a few more to level.

Your small mounted force should have either killed the princess or not been able to reach her because shes pumping out too many troops. If you can't reach her ride off to the battle at the river or the Konrad and aid the weakest force, i suggest you go to the river though because the faster you finish them off the more force you can use to help Konrad and Delfador and that small force.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Disto wrote:
Gandledorf wrote:Gold isn't an issue on this level, it's whether you have trained a good mounted contingent. You only have a Knight and an Elvish Outrider :( I would recommend going back a few levels and promoting at least 4 Knights.

4 Knights! Are you in your right mind! All you need a is maybe 2 knights max and a outrider or a couple of riders. A lancer is useful. Your overpowering you play mate, the amount of xp to get a grand knight is huge and a shyde too, your even suggesting a paladin, this is like 7 levels into the game.
One lancer with little luck is really all that's needed. :)

2 hits at daytime out of three, it's quite a low chance to hit those, but if it does, it's pretty effective. :)
Elvish_Pillager

If you have enough cannon fodder and/or other advanced units, it's pretty easy to pick up Knights on the two scenarios leading up to the Princess. 4 is a bit more than I'd go for, but still, it's not excessive.
Gandledorf

Post by Gandledorf »

Well, people have different leveling priorities... you have to husband the enemy XP and decide where you're going to allocate new levels. For example Filin had 2 White Mages and a Red Mage at the beginning of this level, plus a Rogue. It took me until Sceptre of Fire, I think, to get my second White Mage, and I never levelled up outlaw units. I also never got Lancers or Elvish Riders.

If you have any Quick Avengers or Sharpshooters they can serve just as well as mounted troops... for now. But when you get out of the caves you're going to need tons of riders and you really only have until Dwarven Doors to promote em.
dtw

Post by dtw »

two white mages i'll be handy in the near future there tho
Signature dropped due to use of img tag