Drakes against treehugging freaks

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Are saurians overpowered?

nah, they are balanced, it's just that you suck.
29%
nah, it's just that they are really good against the (S)elfish ones.
15%
yes, increase the amount of xp they need to level.
2%
yes, make them neutral.
7%
yes, nerf them somehow else (please specify if you feel like it)
12%
someone should introduce caffeine cheese... mmmmm... caffeine and cheese
34%

Total votes: 41

(S)elfish weirdo
Location: Trying to finish Mystery campaigns without losses, have completed 0% of the maps so far.

Drakes against treehugging freaks

Post by (S)elfish weirdo »

greetings, fellow mortals! I would like to inform you that the dubious one just kicked my ass on my very own map, blitz! the dubious one picked "random" as race, resulting in a bunch of drakes, it was one of the better games I've played, and I managed to take control of the sea and after a long battle, my western front, but by then my eastern front had already been completly overrun (and my leader was soon killed), you know by what?
Saurians
when I think about it, I've never defeated a good drake player, they always manage to kill off units close to leveling with saurians and tribalists, the few times I have beaten drakes, it has been when either my enemy was [censored], or luck was heavily on my side - I tend to win fairly often against good players using other teams.
therefore, I came asking for strategies with (S)elfish ones against the drakes, no, against the saurians: It's always them and the tribalists that beat the hell out of me, the drakes can be handled with archers and hunters, it's always the saurians that cause the most havoc against me.
personally I think these two units are overpowered: they are damn fast and require very little xp to level, they are also chaotic in a lawful team, making them all too useful during nights.
this thread is meant both as discussion wether the saurians are overpowered or not, and as a place where you discuss anti-saurian strategies.
A statement within a signature is a body of absolutist assertions designed to shelter those who cannot abide the cold, hard realities of actually having to prove their claims.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Yes, Southerners are still overpowered. I usually have to rely on getting lucky (or at least not getting unlucky) *and* my opponent being unskilled (which Drake players usually are... grr) to win.

It's a pity no one can agree on what to tone down about them.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Anyar

Post by Anyar »

I don't have a problem with the tribalist... but the skirmishers are enormously annoying. In my opinion, taking away a hit or taking away ranged attack for the level one unit would make them much less overpowered.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

I think is ok. You have units that freak the drakes out, they have saurians to freak you out. And if he didn't buy much drakes, the saurians should have been enough to overrun your side.

Now if you ask what to do against skirmishers, i don't know, they freak me out.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Disto

Post by Disto »

Caffiene and cheese is at this moment doing the best. :D
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
telly

Post by telly »

I prefered it back when they had regen instead of skirmish.

Anyway, rebels vs drakes. Only recruit elf fighters. No archers, no scouts, no mages, no woses, no shaman. Only fighters and maybe mermen if there is water like on blitz. Unless you play on a silly map thats all sand or something, I can't see how you can lose really. Saurians have the hp of a piece of cardboard.
MRhe

Post by MRhe »

I find that a Fighter/Archer mix is best. Fighters can slice and dice Saurians during the day and Burners/Gliders whenever, while Archers are useful for taking out Gladiators and Drake Fighters (and Saurians).

I agree with Telly though about the Saurians' HP - very weak. Just slaughter them during the day.
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

telly wrote:I prefered it back when they had regen instead of skirmish.

Anyway, rebels vs drakes. Only recruit elf fighters. No archers, no scouts, no mages, no woses, no shaman. Only fighters and maybe mermen if there is water like on blitz. Unless you play on a silly map thats all sand or something, I can't see how you can lose really. Saurians have the hp of a piece of cardboard.
I think you can't be more wrong telly, I think the Saurian is just perfect. While you were away the saurian rush became an unbeatable strategy, especially when in the hands of a skilled veteran like Soliton or Doc Patterson. With the Changes they are fairly balanced. Saurians are night fighters, and in a pinch a unit to kill off other units in the day. They have one of the best defensive modifier type. Their above average movement and good movement type, allow them to easily disengage forces during the day, thus making their flaws less obvious. This is a further advantage over other factions that are very time dependant like the undead. Really the unit that kills the saurian most effectively is the mage, but a good player won't let that happen. Furthermore the Saurian is complemented by the clasher during the day, a strong unit that is designed to be a counter to archers. The trick with Drakes vs Elves is not to attack the elves in forest terrain unless one has overwhelming numbers during the day. One must use drake's speed to attack elves outside of forests or isolated groups of elves with overwheliming numbers, and disperse quickly.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.
dalk

Re: Drakes against treehugging freaks

Post by dalk »

(S)elfish weirdo wrote:greetings, fellow mortals!
I'm immortal!
i decided to never die
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

dalk wrote:I'm immortal!
Just like me. Let's not get sidetracked, though.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
SaintDust

Post by SaintDust »

skilled veteran like Soliton or Doc Patterson.
where is my name?

I totaly think the saurians should be neut.
To think of a team of lawfull units mixed in within a chaotic army is to off.

Everything else about them is fine.
I remember when they only costed 13 gold and the tribalists had skirmish.
Those where the days.
Hurry up and take your time
Only the dead have seen the end of war
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

telly wrote: Anyway, rebels vs drakes. Only recruit elf fighters. No archers, no scouts, no mages, no woses, no shaman. Unless you play on a silly map thats all sand or something, I can't see how you can lose really.
I would love to do this match with you, so tell me when you'll be on the server.

With you only using fighters, I'll have a lock on two-thirds of the battle field before you even make it to the middle ground. You'll have a low income and a high upkeep. Are you seriously telling me you've beaten any half-decent Drake player this way, on a typical map like Charge?
Last edited by Doc Paterson on July 31st, 2005, 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

(S)elfish weirdo wrote:greetings, fellow mortals! I would like to inform you that the dubious one just kicked my ass on my very own map, blitz!
And who is this "Dubious One?" :D
Dubhe, perhaps?
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Sea Elf

Post by Sea Elf »

Saint Dust said:
To think of a team of lawfull units mixed in within a chaotic army is to off.
off topic but chaotic doesnt mean evil exactly. It just means they like Chaos which GENERALLY is kind of evil.
I got lost in thought, it was unknown territory.

The Outcasts need your feedback

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9449
(S)elfish weirdo
Location: Trying to finish Mystery campaigns without losses, have completed 0% of the maps so far.

Post by (S)elfish weirdo »

hmmm... despite the fact that most people have voted for caffeine cheese, none has given me a decent tactic against the drakes and their overpowered saurians, you'd think that they'd come up with something with brain boosting caffeine and kolesterol in their bloodstreams, wouldn't you?

the fighter/archer/merman is what I usually use (sometimes throwing in a shaman or two in an attemp to level, but due to saurians and drake impact resistance, this is pretty much impossible), yet good drakes can usually overwhelm me using their superior speed and the fact that they can fight with advantage both day and night, mages are really nifty against saurians if they do reach them, but a good drake player will never let that happen, especially during day - when they withdraw the saurians - and against the drakes mages are pretty much worthless.
even if they did sacrifice a saurian to draw a mage, they swarm it the next turn and kill it easily due to their skirmishing and it's low hp - saurians are cheap.

to the cartographer: indeed, that is the dubious one.

I personally think a 20% pierce weakness among gliders burners and fighters instead of the 10% should make them more balanced (currently the only elfs who can take advantage of their weakness at all are dexterous archers and mermen during day) and making saurians neutral as well as increasing either their cost one or two gold or slightly increasing their xp recuirement should make them balanced, now listen to me, for I bring tinfoil! *holds up an empty box* *looks into the box* damned squirrels...
A statement within a signature is a body of absolutist assertions designed to shelter those who cannot abide the cold, hard realities of actually having to prove their claims.