eastern invasion evacuation

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

knight20

eastern invasion evacuation

Post by knight20 »

Great campain so far..even captured was not too bad..until....EVACUATION..!!!

played this 12 times it is impossible. I have tried reruting a whole castle of spear men to halt the orcs..then another to halt the trolls then send my men through the middle.....this is the only tactic that works and I still only make it with about 5 men and lose my white mage etc. which I will ned later I guess...

is this possible to do with saving most of your men and how..???

why does the people who make this great game have to make certian levels so hard....a challange is great..fustration and anger isnt :( help me..!!!
Breeblebox

Post by Breeblebox »

What difficulty are you playing on?
Bear, as in Fozzy,Bare, as in Arms,Beer, as in Free.
Distro | Browser
knight20

Post by knight20 »

On easy..!!!!!!

:(
claus

Post by claus »

The most important part is speed and Spearmen are pretty slow and weak.

The top right orc should be no problem (I left him a village, he recruited two Orc Warriors and captured the village in range of my castle, which resulted in his death (if i remember correctly one Arch Mage, one White Mage and a Mage of Light killed him) and the Orc Warriors trying to flee into the mountain).
I rushed the second Orc (level 2 Owaec and a Royal Guard reached him in turn 1 (I had to modify my save and the scenario to get the automatic recall of the two start units from Captured, but the Scenario WML looks like you should have them from the beginnig (if not the rush will be harder) ) he then recruited 4 Crossbowman and left for a village. I managed to kill him and two of the Crossbowman in turn 2 (several Knights (two per killed Crossbowman, I do not remember if i needed one for the leader) with some lucky charges (one out of two attacks hit), the Royal Guard and Owaec). The two surviving Crossbowman again tried to flee.
The Troll took some more time, but had no real chance versus my entire army.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

I like using Horsemen to kill the enemy leaders. Both Orc leaders go to villages right away, so an initial castleful of Horsemen can get lucky and kill both. Another castleful can break through enemy ranks and kill the troll leader.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Zorro

0.9.3, easy

Post by Zorro »

Evacuation is the toughest scenario I have played so far. I didn't manage it yet and I think that all presented solutions are "lucky" versions of how things could be.
In my first tries with evacuation, I tried to rush the southern leader. This strategy was impossible because he built 6 new units and left his castle for a village in the south. His 6 new units blocked my way, so a kill was impossible. I also had to retreat my three rushing units because in his second turn, the southern units were able to kill two of the three rushed units leading to an immediate loss.

Then I changed my tactics and went for the eastern Orc. Killing him was easier because he only built two new units. Sending 3 to 4 support units in his direction to assist the three starting units lead to his death on turn 3 or 4. Others have stated, that the newly units fleed into the mountains not counterattacking the mages. This was not true in my tries with evacuation. Sometimes the leader did not attack but in most cases, the new units and the leader made at least one counterattack. In some cases (I guess about 33%) the result was Dacyn's (?) death.
But while doing so, the southern leader became a huge problem. He seems to have infinite funds and built 6 new units each turn. On turn 3 I had a very long frontline and started to advance. But killing the enemy units was very tough because of the terrain. My units were on the plains, his ones in the hills. My chances hitting his units were so low that I sometimes need 6 units to deliver one successful blow ! To stop his units poisining my complete army, I positioned one white mage in the back of three front units so that the mages automatically healed my troops on the next turn. While loosing some weak units and killing 2 to 3 enemy units, the southern leader was still recruiting new units and simply outnumbered me.
At this point, the western leader (a war troll ?) started also recruiting masses of lv2 and lv3 trolls and did a wonderful flank attack on my troops.

At the moment, I am trying a new strategy: Just fleeing to the bridge with the units recruited on turn 1 but this will result in the loss of many experienced lv2 units. The massive recruitement of new troops of the southern and western leader are a severe problem to this strategy, too.

I think that more balancing is needed to make this scenario a good experience for the complete campaign. To kill all three leaders must be a very difficult task. But perhaps its possible to reduce the ememies gold for turn 1 so that they could recruit less troops. Then it would be easier to run to the bridge (how this scenario is meant to be played).
Last edited by Zorro on July 6th, 2005, 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Zorro wrote:At the moment, I am trying a new strategy: Just fleeing to the bridge with the units recruited on turn 1 but this will result in the loss of many experienced lv2 units. The massive recruitement of new troops of the southern and western leader are a severe problem to this strategy, too.
I'm the campaign designer, and this is the strategy you are intended to use. Don't try to kill the orcs, you'll probably fail if you try. Yes, this will result in the loss of many experienced level 2 units. That's the point.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
(S)elfish weirdo
Location: Trying to finish Mystery campaigns without losses, have completed 0% of the maps so far.

Post by (S)elfish weirdo »

really? see, I killed all leaders on hard without losses, the first two leaders can be destroyed on the second turn by horsemen and/or Mages the third leader is a little trickier, but while you have most of your army destroying the forces the first two leaders recruited, have a few high dmg units apporach the third leader before night falls, with a little luck his bodyguards (due to dayness) will retreat while the leader will stay, allowing you to finish him off, the main problem is to finish off the first two leaders before they can retreat into their castle, but this should be doable with a little bit of luck, horsemen and mages
A statement within a signature is a body of absolutist assertions designed to shelter those who cannot abide the cold, hard realities of actually having to prove their claims.
Kamamura

Post by Kamamura »

With patience and lot's of reloading, nothing is impossible.

"Gee, I saw that troll's club landing on my head, but then he tripped. I managed to stab him three times in the right eye, killing him instantly!"
"I was quite lucky too! A salvo of arrows aiming on me, and all of them missed!"
"So, is anyone missing, or wounded?"
"No, everyone's fine - hell, I even won a brand new suit of armor while playing dice in the camp. I got 6 seven times in a row, would you believe that?"
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Kamamura wrote:With patience and lot's of reloading, nothing is impossible.

"Gee, I saw that troll's club landing on my head, but then he tripped. I managed to stab him three times in the right eye, killing him instantly!"
"I was quite lucky too! A salvo of arrows aiming on me, and all of them missed!"
"No, everyone's fine - hell, I even won a brand new suit of armor while playing dice in the camp. I got 6 seven times in a row, would you believe that?"
Ahh... i remembered the jokes thread.

Happiness :) .
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

Right, and very amusing, your vignette -- maybe it would be worth writing a campaign in that vein?. What we need now is an artifact to simulate the effect of reloading, without the bother of having to keep hitting those buttons. Hmm, an Amulet of Infinite Luck, reduces all enemy random numbers by 50% and doubles all of yours...
This quote is not attributable to Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
(S)elfish weirdo
Location: Trying to finish Mystery campaigns without losses, have completed 0% of the maps so far.

Post by (S)elfish weirdo »

If that's directed to me, I'm squirrelhating-ish to inform you that I did not load a single time during that lossless completion of evacuation

(I restarted loads of times thought, so the last one was quite lucky, but there was no loading other than to the scenario start)
A statement within a signature is a body of absolutist assertions designed to shelter those who cannot abide the cold, hard realities of actually having to prove their claims.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

(S)elfish: I have a different system that I use now: I allow myself to saveload, but I keep a count of how many times I've tried, which is multiplied by the number of save-loads at any point, including the beginning of the scenario. That way, I don't just do tons of scenario-start saveloading, which is just more boring.

As an example, let's say I tried a scenario three times. The first time I did no mid-scenario saveloading, the second time I loaded one save twice, and the third time I loaded two different saves.

The first try counts as one try of the scenario. The second counts as three, since I tried that one situation three times. The third counts as four; since I did not continue the first situation after the first save, I estimate that I 'would have' saveloaded the same amount of times if I'd continued, so I multiply them together. The total tries for the scenario would be 8.

Thus, on average, it would have taken me 8 reloads from the scenario start to win. That would be much more boring, and not really more fair.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I recruited Cavalrymens and sent to the south-east leader the majority:they have good defense against the assassins (30% resistance to blade) and they can be letal in day vs orcish assassins (10-3!!!) they are "cheap" and with that damage the intelligent ones could evolve really fast (i dont tell you the damage of a Dragoon or a Cavalier!!!!!)
If you have less than 100 gold you are ruined(you can try but the result isn't the max.
Great Mage Nicolas
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

how many gold have you?
Great Mage Nicolas