is Wesnoth too hard to be fun...?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Doc

Post by Doc »

When I first got Wesnoth, I dove right into HTTT on easy. While all didn't go swimmingly, I managed to survive the early scenarios by throwing large quantities of low quality units at the enemies. Then I got to the Hasty Alliance scenario and got my posterior handed to me.

I noticed that Li'Sar's troops were doing fairly well while mine were getting chewed up so I looked at what she recruited. I then realised that maybe a few higher quality units might be desirable. It was a valuable lesson. This is why I feel easy shouldn't so easy that it rewards bad tactics.

Might I suggest adding a closing dialog in the tutorial urging new players to try one of the introductory campaigns first? It might give us a chance to hone tactics and skills before trying one of the regular scenarios.
Kel

Post by Kel »

Nimiria wrote:I agree, the AI propably has better chances. Very often my troops miss with 60 %, let us say3 units with each 4 hits, and all they can do together is one, just one (from 12!) hits, while the AI has 40 % and hits with 7 from 9 hits...

Against the AI I have this hmmm strange hit/miss very often. Even 2 mages miss with 70 % almost all atacks against a half dead unit. Something must be there that imrpoves the AIs luck ;p

One time I had 4 Fighter units with 3 and 4 atacks against one unit from the AI with 60 % chance to hit, the unit just needed 2 hits to go down, all 4 together just did one hit and the AI super unit missed a mix from 40 - 60 % just one time, so after this fight it still was there and 4 of my units where taken half down.. thats not fair :(
Check your EV vs. actual damage at the end of a campaign; you might be surprised. My roommate and I have played through several campaigns, [censored] about our luck the whole way through -- only to find that we're 7-8% over on damage inflicted and sometimes nearly 10% under damage taken.
Vexator

Post by Vexator »

I've put together a simple chance to hit vs chance to miss spreadsheet for everyone to play with.

You can adjust your %to hit and %to miss values to calculate how likely you are to score x number of hits against your opponent.

The spreadsheet is "protected" but there is no password so you can modify it if you wish.

See attached.
(it's a very simple representation of what chance you have to hit x number of times out of 1 - 4 swings)
Attachments
Wesnoth_Hit_Miss.zip
Simple spreadsheet to show your hit vs miss percentages
(2.94 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
Quitch

Post by Quitch »

The problem is this game relies on leveling, and as you take units from one mission to the next, as well as gold, you might win a mission but not in a way that allows you to win the next one.

I don't think many people find replaying an already beaten mission to get the "right" result all that fun, and I think that's where a lot of the fustration with the campaigns come from. That and the way luck can affect the outcome.