Wesnoth Strategy Guide for competitive 1v1 on the Ladder of Wesnoth

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Cackfiend

Wesnoth Strategy Guide for competitive 1v1 on the Ladder of Wesnoth

Post by Cackfiend »

Download Link:
https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1uPTeu1H ... t=download

View in-browser Link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uPTeu1 ... sp=sharing

I am excited to announce the release of my Wesnoth Strategy Guide! I first started working on this 8 or 9 years ago and have spent most of my free time these last 3.5 months finally finishing it. It is 93 pages and over 15,000 words! My hope is that it helps everyone become a better competitive player :)

The Ladder Discord is now open to all multiplayer players, not just Ladder players, so please feel free to join the community! https://discord.gg/8aV2xUKuK8

Feel free to discuss the guide here or on Discord.

If you are interested in competitive play please check out the Ladder! https://wesnoth.gamingladder.info/
"There's no love in fear." - Maynard James Keenan

I'm the guy who's responsible for 40% Gliders in all hexes... I can now die a happy man. =D
Wesnoth Strategy Guide for competitive 1v1 viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54236
ArthurMitchell

Re: Wesnoth Strategy Guide for competitive 1v1 on the Ladder of Wesnoth

Post by ArthurMitchell »

Cackfiend, I would like to thank you for taking the time and effort into compiling this guide.

I gave it a quick read through and it looks very comprehensive, if not all-encompassing, but that's the nature of a game with so many variable. The screenshots included also do a good job of illustrating the points you make. There's definitely a lot of fundamental and some advanced tactics for competitive PvP inside. Due to your guide I also found Chekhovs_Cannon on twitch and several people who are streaming my favorite turn-based strategy. It's nice to see the Wesnoth community still going strong and your contribution to the ladder (and the recent tournament) is definitely worthy of respect.

Once again, I'd like to thank you for all your work!
Cackfiend

Post by Cackfiend »

ArthurMitchell wrote: April 26th, 2021, 6:23 pm Cackfiend, I would like to thank you for taking the time and effort into compiling this guide.

I gave it a quick read through and it looks very comprehensive, if not all-encompassing, but that's the nature of a game with so many variable. The screenshots included also do a good job of illustrating the points you make. There's definitely a lot of fundamental and some advanced tactics for competitive PvP inside. Due to your guide I also found Chekhovs_Cannon on twitch and several people who are streaming my favorite turn-based strategy. It's nice to see the Wesnoth community still going strong and your contribution to the ladder (and the recent tournament) is definitely worthy of respect.

Once again, I'd like to thank you for all your work!
Thanks so much, that means a lot :)

I'm the guy who's responsible for 40% Gliders in all hexes... I can now die a happy man. =D
Deki

Post by Deki »

Great guide, thank you very much. I was thinking to join the ladder but didn´t think I have the skill required. This guide will help to understand.
Cackfiend

Post by Cackfiend »

My favorite feedbacks so far:

"When i saw it first, i was thinking whats that 93 pages? But when i read it was fine. It is easy to read and to understand. Also good picture, that give more input for specific situations. I can say for me im impressed- it is for sure helpful for beginners, also for others"

"This isn't a guide, this is a thesis!"

"This is great. The page count was daunting, but with all the screenshots, it didn't take very long to read through."

"I love how many of the quotes appear to have been extracted from arguments, haha"

"There's a lot in here that's super helpful, like explaining the concept of a banking war or using a notepad for keeping track of enemy units ... it helps to breakdown all the different complexities into smaller pieces that can then be discussed. It's almost like a textbook in that way, which I mean in the best way possible"

patience_reloaded

Post by patience_reloaded »

Is this guide linked somewhere else on the wiki or in a pinned topic on the forum too?
I think it might make a fine addition to the Strategies&Tips resources, and I definitely think this guide should be linked somewhere where it's not at risk of getting buried below newer forum posts.
custardlongjohn

Post by custardlongjohn »

Thank you for making this guide. I did not know about many of the strategies discussed in it.
ForPeace

Post by ForPeace »

I think this guide might easily get lost in the forums. Would be a pity for the best Wesnoth strategy guide ever written. It should be either pinned here or added to the wiki.
Polish BfW fansite | Polish BfW translation | My Ladder profile

"When I say I've been playing for 10 years people come saying they've played for 15 years and that I know nothing about this game because I didn't use to play when the TRUE pros were playing xD" ~Hejnewar
hitandrun

Post by hitandrun »

hi!Could you send it to me?Google was baned in China...thanks very much!
Calm down!
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

hitandrun wrote: June 16th, 2021, 6:20 am hi!Could you send it to me?Google was baned in China...thanks very much!
Attachments
wsg.zip
(5.52 MiB) Downloaded 347 times
Okeanos

Post by Okeanos »

Great work, super easy to read and understand. Very well used bold font. I am really impressed and would love to read more if there were any ^_^
Cackfiend

Post by Cackfiend »

Okeanos wrote: June 25th, 2021, 5:26 pm Great work, super easy to read and understand. Very well used bold font. I am really impressed and would love to read more if there were any ^_^
Aww, thanks so much! This means a lot. I am really happy to hear all the feedback that it has been helping people. It was a project that I'm really glad I finished.

Poison

Post by Poison »

Thanks for this!
Calmdown

Post by Calmdown »

Hey!i want to apply an ladder account..but discord was banned in China..What should I do?
Cackfiend

Post by Cackfiend »

Calmdown wrote: July 14th, 2021, 8:02 am Hey!i want to apply an ladder account..but discord was banned in China..What should I do?
VPN?