multiplayer - poachers/trappers vs drakes

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elven

multiplayer - poachers/trappers vs drakes

Post by Elven »

Hello. I recently won a game against drakes with only poachers/trappers. So i try it again and again and still, I think this guys are very good. How can you stop poachers/trappers as drake player?

they are fast, good in villages and difficult terrain, can kill all units and they have no weaknesses.
Creator of Greenie knižnica and Greenie Linux and Wesnoth unofficial LiveCD; Slovak/Czech translator and creator of many campaigns. Everything is here on one place.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Re: multiplayer - poachers/trappers vs drakes

Post by Atreides »

Elven wrote: March 6th, 2021, 2:02 pm Hello. I recently won a game against drakes with only poachers/trappers. So i try it again and again and still, I think this guys are very good. How can you stop poachers/trappers as drake player?

they are fast, good in villages and difficult terrain, can kill all units and they have no weaknesses.
I recall playing an add-on where you have to free Drakes (Drake Rescue I think) and your main opponents are poachers. It was too hard for me and I removed it a long time ago.

Maybe I'll try it again, I've become an OK player now (well I can beat the AI, hehe).

My guess would be clashers. Melee units and less pierce vulnerability. The lizards would be another possibility. Probably need the Augurs to dig the poachers out of villages/terrain. So Clasher, Skirmisher, Augur? Worth a try.

p.s. Oh this is regarding multiplayer... then I haven't a clue. :-)
Last edited by Atreides on March 11th, 2021, 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Computer_Player
Multiplayer Moderator

Re: multiplayer - poachers/trappers vs drakes

Post by Computer_Player »

When you are facing poachers, you are probably facing knalga as a faction. They can be outlaw heavy (that is, mostly chaotic units) or a mix with dwarves.

When it comes to drakes, the strategy for the first configuration is overwhelming day attack (poachers can die from 1 drake fighter + 1 anything else). Saurians can sneak through Zone of Control to get those final hits in if 2 hexes is not enough. Of course avoid any confrontation at unfavorable times (dusk, night), as they level up quickly and can trade with your units favorably (your units are much mroe expensive to replace).

As for the second configuration, the same mostly applies, just keep in mind out-maneuvering possibilities vs the slow dwarves and maybe get a burners to break through dwarf strongholds.

Don't be afraid to retreat and give-up 1 vil or two if it means denying kills from the enemy / continue killing enemies safely. If you find yourself being overwhelmed by numbers, try to reduce your expensive units (clasher / burner) in favor of cheap firepower (fighter). Saurians I think are more for utility in this match up, though it is sort of viable to use a saurian heavy mix, I don't recommend it as they die easily vs dwarf fighter / thieves / footpad and you really don't want to give xp to the knalga player.