Multiplayer: finish off vs. distributing damage

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

helling3r

Multiplayer: finish off vs. distributing damage

Post by helling3r »

Hi there, i wonder about the smartest move in a specific situation:

Context: multiplayer, northerners vs loyals. Loyals on the turn at daybreak. Facing lots of numbers.

I wonder if it is better to wound as many enemy units as i can, in order to impede his nighttime assault, vs focusing more on killing them. The difference would be more enemy numbers, but unable to fight at night; vs. lesser numbers but remaining units in better shape.

What are the generic pros and cons to these approaches?
NEW LoW Linux automated friends script: GitHub project site | Forums post
patience_reloaded

Re: Multiplayer: finish off vs. distributing damage

Post by patience_reloaded »

Every enemy unit that is dead is guaranteed to not deal further damage. That's one side of the coin. However, units that are close to dying can't attack well, since the counterstrikes can easily kill them. That's the other side of the coin.
I don't think I can give a general solution, it's too heavily dependant on the situation.
- Are many of the enemy units ranged, while many of your units don't have ranged attacks? ->Kill them, since only wounding them wouldn't hold them off. They could still deal their full damage, even with only 1hp left.
- How much does the enemy value the survival of his own units? There's the concept "Fight and die, so your colleague can finish the job", a concept that you intentionally send an injured unit into a fight where it probably dies, and then you send a second unit to the same spot to finish off the now injured enemy. That concept can be very effective in breaking through chokepoints. If the enemy is likely to deploy that concept, only injuring his troops might actually play into his hands.
- How is your army going to be placed when killing the enemies, and how is it going to be placed when only injuring them? If for killing more enemies you have to place your units in a bad formation or in bad terrain, it may not be worth it, because then the enemy can kill you more easily too.
- Is simply running away an option? Depending on terrain, you might be able to just run away, which can cause your enemy to get into either a poorly organised offense allowing you to kill exposed troops, or he might loose time while following you, and can't deploy his full strength during the first turn of the night. If you don't expose yourself, running away might sometimes be more effective in reducing the damage you take during the night than any other measure you can take.
helling3r

Post by helling3r »

Thank you, very helpful toughs!
NEW LoW Linux automated friends script: GitHub project site | Forums post
Poison

Post by Poison »

Even one unit less can make a huge difference, most of the good players I've seen go for the kills if they can.
Krogen

Post by Krogen »

This is something that 100% depends on the situation. You have to judge each of them independently.
Having said that, if you are not sure, go for the kills. Overthinking can sometimes hurt as much as not thinking at all.
"A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep." - Tywin Lannister
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

Always kill, unless you are risking very heavy retaliation damage (it doesn't happen often if you actually have a high chance to kill a unit), or if you are sure the unit is trapped and is not likely to escape. Or it doesn't have to be trapped, it can also be just too slow to escape.