Is lieutenant overpowered?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Yes.
9%
A little bit
23%
No.
45%
I don't know/I have no opinion
23%

Total votes: 22

Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

When playing a Ladder 1v1 match I have heard some players talk about Lieutenant being too strong, is this true? What do you guys think?
ForPeace

Re: Is lieutenant overpowered?

Post by ForPeace »

Lieutenant has two big advantages: 6mp and leadership but it's compensated with low 40 hp.
To me it's the second strongest loyalist leader, after Red Mage. (And drake leaders are stronger than both)

I think the discussion regarding overpowered leaders goes in the wrong direction. Leaders should be strong to let the players use their potential. I would rather discuss strengthening the underpowered leaders.
Polish BfW fansite | Polish BfW translation | My Ladder profile

"When I say I've been playing for 10 years people come saying they've played for 15 years and that I know nothing about this game because I didn't use to play when the TRUE pros were playing xD" ~Hejnewar
patience_reloaded

Post by patience_reloaded »

Disclaimer: I'm not a good player, and can only compare stats.
I'll try to compare the lieutenant to some units I think are comparable.
Spoiler:
Oh, and another little thing: If you were playing a ladder match, they could have been talking about ladder era, which I'm not familiar with. It's possible that this makes a difference.
ForPeace

Post by ForPeace »

patience_reloaded wrote: August 11th, 2020, 8:40 am I'll conclude my little analysis with the answer: Lieutenant isn't too strong compared with the other leadership leaders, also, he's not too strong compared to the other default loyalist leaders. I don't consider him as too strong, UNLESS the value of the leadership ability to the loyalist faction is considerably higher than to the rebel or drake faction.
I'll add my two cents: leadership with 6mp is worth more than leadership with 5mp: you can give the bonus to more units in a single turn and reach further from your keep.

To me, Lieutenant is far stronger than Javelineer and slightly stronger than Longbowman, Pikeman and Swordsman. Javelineer deals little damage and is 5mp, the latter trio deal more damage but are still 5mp and without leadership. And I prefer Lieutenant to the White Mage because the White Mage is very fragile and even though he has the healing ability, he deals little damage, especially at night when he's most likely to be used in combat (as loys are defending at night).
Polish BfW fansite | Polish BfW translation | My Ladder profile

"When I say I've been playing for 10 years people come saying they've played for 15 years and that I know nothing about this game because I didn't use to play when the TRUE pros were playing xD" ~Hejnewar
patience_reloaded

Post by patience_reloaded »

according to the stats, the damage the white mage can deal is 9-3 arcane magic ranged whereas the lieutenant can deal 8-3 blade melee. HP of L is 40, WM 35. That's not that much of a difference imho, both are fragile and deal little damage, especially at night. However, L can boost the damage of allies, which is a point for him.

Leadership with 6mp: I'll fully admit I didn't see this. I usually play undead, which have no leadership, so I have no practical experience using it. Therefore, I don't know what is required to use leadership to it's full potential.