How do you sort/classify multiple replays/save file branches from same/different campaigns?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Mawmoocn

How do you sort/classify multiple replays/save file branches from same/different campaigns?

Post by Mawmoocn »

Greetings,

I’m having trouble on sorting multiple save files due to restarting the campaign from a certain spot (scenario checkpoint?) or start from scratch.

The reason I keep these save files/replay is to, watch/save time/(because it’s interesting) and testing other strategies, but it already has grown more than manageable because I keep getting new ideas (which isn’t bad).

Sometimes, I abandon saving replays/save files because It’ll grow more if I don’t stop.

The problem is, I have multiple replays with saved games on multiple folders for one campaign (they have different paths), because I made a mistake and didn’t realize until many scenarios have passed.

I don’t know what I should delete or keep or how to keep it organize.

For now, I’m sorting it based on campaign -> scenario A -> (new folder if part of this scenario A “branch”) -> (new folder if scenario B is better) -> (gets new idea) -> (restart the whole campaign/from a checkpoint) -> new folder for every scenario “branch”.

Disclaimer: What I mean by scenario branch is, all save files/replays are connected to this one scenario, but if I restarted the scenario before or after it, all files from the other scenarios are kept in a new folder.

Basically it’s similar to how trees have different branches without “interfering” each other branch.

So, how do you sort/categorize multiple save files and replays?
Bonus question: How do you name your folders and replays? What basis do you use for naming them?
Zrevnur

Re: How do you sort/classify multiple replays/save file branches from same/different campaigns?

Post by Zrevnur »

I dont have/keep so many thats its a problem. If I ever will I will do it probably in the following manner - this may or may not be exactly (or almost) how you do it - I dont fully understand your description:

1) Put everything from a campaign start into one directory.
2) If I create a branch (for whatever reason) I make a new directory and put everything of the branch into it.

"branch" := loading anything other than the latest save

The name or the new directory would obviously include the starting point of the branch (or if thats clear then not) and potentially the direction/strategy - like scenario name or strategy description.
Mawmoocn

Re: How do you sort/classify multiple replays/save file branches from same/different campaigns?

Post by Mawmoocn »

It's similar.
Zrevnur wrote: January 20th, 2020, 7:16 pm "branch" := loading anything other than the latest save

The name or the new directory would obviously include the starting point of the branch (or if thats clear then not) and potentially the direction/strategy - like scenario name or strategy description.
"branch" = keeping different "what if I choose to do this scenario path" and loading the scenario from the start (no auto save from mid scenario) but that also works (though I try to avoid it)

I suck at naming things so that really helps to visualize my ideas.

Thank you for your time!