Scrolling Survival

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

JoJocage

Scrolling Survival

Post by JoJocage »

Someone passed this mission? How?
We came up to a maximum of castle lizards that at the exit of the cave. Went cave, couldn't sail. :(
I am sorry for my bad English.
roidanton

Re: Scrolling Survival

Post by roidanton »

Did you send your entire army through the caves? That's likely causing disaster because the Elves that you avoided fighting in the forest will wait for you at the other entrance and the narrow caves with the three choke points will also make it very hard to quickly kill enemies. You'll basically only attack with two or three or your units, with the rest of your army packed and squeezed between front line and lava.

Send a small elite force through these caves and the majority or your army up north. You should also be able to kill the first two bosses - the Dwarf Lord and the Trapper with at most one or two losses, it is possible to do it with zero losses if you get a bit lucky.

Choose a faction with a healer such as Loyalists or Rebels. Also pick a leader with leadership, not a healer as leader. Healers should be behind the front line, ideally surrounded by 8 units for maximum healing effect - but you really want to use your strong leader to fight in battle and its leadership is very valuable. The Loyalist's Grand Marshal is really awesome in this regard because it's a level 4 unit and will thus also provide leadership to lvl 3 units. I actually like Loyalists much better than Rebels for this map because of their higher hp and lower price on their fighter units. It's also easier to level a Mage than a Shaman; a Mage gets 12x3 ranged during daytime with leadership bonus, that's a lot of damage for a lvl 1 unit! Get a Mage of Light early, but don't level all your Mages into White Mages, you'll also want a Red Mage or two.

Make sure to use the "Dov: XP" Add-On and also use that Era - it will make it a lot easier because its upgrades are much more valuable than the normal AMLA.

This map also becomes easier to play when you lower the XP requirement or choose another Era. I have won this a few times, but never with the Default Era - once with Age of Heroes Loyalists and lowered XP requirements and also with Ageless and War of the Gods.

If you set the XP requirement to 30% (lowest possible value) and village gold to highest, then you will have an army of lvl 3 units when you're at that cave / wood junction. See attached save, I quickly set this to "god-mode" and played for about half an hour, this is turn 23, just past the cave / wood junction with a super strong army.

Now, the idea is to stay alive, it's more important to keep your units alive than killing enemies - so don't rush into the woods to attach the Elves on forest, you still have a couple of turns until the lava gets to you, so let them come to you and use 60% castle defense.
Attachments
Scrolling_Survival_Turn_24.gz
(82.5 KiB) Downloaded 1488 times
a7114276

Post by a7114276 »

in some faction it s best not to go to cave at all!
i take the healer from the side and go back to center (using a skittering) then when i clean the center I have time to go the cave from the up side in order to get the gold from there. This work great for me. try it!
Coffee
Inactive Developer

Post by Coffee »

I like playing this scenario with default undead. For the cave part you can get the healer and go back to the centre to pass through where the elves are. The gold from the cave area can be taken later with a nightgaunt at night without taking on the troll leader properly. You could also take him on with a wraith.

IMO healers in the faction are unimportant as you get a druid and saurian healer as part of the scenario.
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

I must say that I have seen quite a few full replays of people winning this on default era on default settings without abusing load-save. It is very impressive. Even after watching how they did it, I still can't beat the map...
Scrolling Survival is a true test of skill.
gavenkoa

Post by gavenkoa »

max_torch wrote:I must say that I have seen quite a few full replays of people winning this on default era on default settings without abusing load-save. It is very impressive. Even after watching how they did it, I still can't beat the map...
Scrolling Survival is a true test of skill.
I visit recent http://replays.wesnoth.org/ replays. Most of them end in 16 turn and many of 30 and more turns replays can'r be opened by my client.

My careful plays move me not far then to 16 turn...
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

In replays.wesnoth.org it shows the number of turns of the entire replay in one of the columns beside the file. You have to look for the replays of scrolling survival that are 60 or 65+ turns in order to see someone play it all the way, or you have to find one where they played halfway, saved, and then reloaded their game. Also I wonder if it is the general consensus that default era is harder than most factions in ageless for winning this scenario?
gavenkoa

Post by gavenkoa »

max_torch wrote:In replays.wesnoth.org it shows the number of turns of the entire replay in one of the columns beside the file. You have to look for the replays of scrolling survival that are 60 or 65+ turns in order to see someone play it all the way, or you have to find one where they played halfway, saved, and then reloaded their game.
In http://replays.wesnoth.org/1.12/ I found only up to 32 turns for 2 players. Now I can advance to 20-24 on Default era, to 32 on Era of Heroes or to 36 turn with Default era but +4 gold/day income instead of default +2.

I found that elf Druid joined to team, which is +1 healer and next Soothsayer joined if you enter to swamp village which is another +1 healer.

I use loyalist with Leitenant/General for leadership ability and advance 2 mage to White Mage for mass-healing.

I also try several plays with Notherners and Assassin is helpful to kill bosses, but lack of healers make game hard. Troll Whelp help to hold flank but they lack of ragne attack...

How play this map without healers?
max_torch wrote:Also I wonder if it is the general consensus that default era is harder than most factions in ageless for winning this scenario?
I try Era of Heroes - having lvl3 leader make game somehow easy as you can place leader as tank in weak places.

I add extra +2 gold income per turn (this can be achieved in GUI without modding WML sources) and this definetly reduce randomness and help keep team large so you can build defence line. For example I hire Fencer to deal with Ulfserker and don't afraid to lose it.
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

gavenkoa wrote:How play this map without healers?
I played on default a game to show you a demo. I didnt finished for becoming bored, a wml error with unit type and... well, I probably will die :whistle:

I didnt played very well, and I forgot some scenario stuff (got ambushed by Ranger :lol: ). But got beyond turn 50 just to show you some general tips: Pasive behavior, damage on retaliation and... lava use to kill enemies :P

Without use lava I have no clue how could I have dealt with loys (I was undead). Replay attached.
Attachments
Scrolling_Survival_Turn_56-demo.gz
(103.14 KiB) Downloaded 1042 times
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
gavenkoa

Post by gavenkoa »

tekelili wrote:
gavenkoa wrote:How play this map without healers?
I played on default a game to show you a demo. I didnt finished for becoming bored, a wml error with unit type and... well, I probably will die :whistle:

I didnt played very well, and I forgot some scenario stuff (got ambushed by Ranger :lol: ). But got beyond turn 50 just to show you some general tips: Pasive behavior, damage on retaliation and... lava use to kill enemies :P

Without use lava I have no clue how could I have dealt with loys (I was undead). Replay attached.
Thanks you for your effort! I frustrated with your attachment. Seems that it is regular save file, but seems each save file have full game history so I save your game as replay and then open it for playback.

I found your game style interesting - you a bit passive and usually wait for enemies in back positions while my game style more aggresive and mostly in front border. I make exeption for dwarf wave as Ulfserkers easily kill lvl2 Archers - so instead take decition to them I run to them with Fencer from back positon.

Also I see how valuable is Gost and Wraith. As with Nothern - unit with poison attack (Ghoul, Assassin) make good job with BOSSes and high HP passive units.

Another interesting thing - at late game (after drakes) you lose a lot of your team but quickly build and level up new army.
gavenkoa

Post by gavenkoa »

tekelili wrote:But got beyond turn 50 just to show you some general tips: Pasive behavior, damage on retaliation and... lava use to kill enemies :P
I try stay at front border to get gold chest from troll - you don't do that. I kill drakes and in fight with mermen when 2 Fencer used to get chest (they worth it).

Staying in back position make possibility to select how effectively bite enemy.
gavenkoa

Post by gavenkoa »

Quick review of map there:
Scrolling_Survival_Turn_62_(85136)_overview.bz2
(31.2 KiB) Downloaded 848 times
Some long plays (and so good plays) with Default Era from 2014-2015:
gavenkoa

Post by gavenkoa »

I search for long played games in http://replays.wesnoth.org/1.12/ and retrieve them by:

Code: Select all

$ mkdir sroll_surv
$ cd sroll_surv
$ wget -e 'robots=off' -nc -c -np -A index.html -r http://replays.wesnoth.org/1.12/
$ find . -type f -name index.html | while read f; do p=${f#./}; p=http://${p%index.html}; command grep -o 'href="Scrolling_Survival_Turn_[5-9]._[^"]*\.bz2' $f | while read s; do s=${s#href='"'}; wget $p$s; done; done
Many replays based on non-Default eras I reject these replays by (but not all, still get error when try replays to load):

Code: Select all

bzgrep -l 'EoW\|AE_\|WOTG\|levite' *.bz2 | xargs rm
Rest of them I tested manually and only few of them may play on my Wesnoth. A few more for investigating game strategy:
For period from 2014-11-22 to 2015-08-20 there are no replays that finish game in Default Era.

There are list of nice replay links:
WML code shown that game stop scrolling at 70 turn, so it is possible to think that game end near 80 turn.
marvalis

Post by marvalis »

I just finished scrolling survival on default with elves and no modifications.
Wesnoth 1.12.4

Replay attached.
Attachments
Scrolling_Survival_replay.gz
(83.76 KiB) Downloaded 846 times
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

I wish there was a like button so I could "like" the above post. Nice, more interest in Scrolling Survival. This add-on needs more attention it's one of the best IMO.