How to beat Hasty Alliance?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

oaq

How to beat Hasty Alliance?

Post by oaq »

At hard difficulty please, how can one beat Heir to the Throne's scenario Hasty Alliance?

I can recruit plenty of dwarvish guardsmen and some dwarvish thunderers, and I can recall leveled-up mages, too; but no matter what I try, the princess will get herself killed. Added to other foes in this circumstance, the three troll warriors seem too many to handle.

My troops can swing great hammers, spout fire, even call lightning down from the overworld; but since none of my troops can seize an ally bodily and carry her to safety, I know no tactic to save a heedless princess's life. Do you?
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Re: How to beat Hasty Alliance?

Post by Anonymissimus »

Watch her gold. You should be able to see it since she's allied. As soon as she's about to recruit her last wave, prepare to move units into her castle to cover her.
However, if you've done a good job previously in killing quickly, she may even have 1 or 2 units left in the end. Your first wave should consist of guardsmen only. I usually recall Moremirmu (healing, kills trolls) and Elrian (kills trolls). Other than that, dwarves for taking the heavy damage and for better movement.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Interesting. I play that somewhat differently. I reall those two mages also, but only get a couple tank units for the most exposed hexes. For the most part, I recall a lot of units with high-powered ranged attacks and play very offensively. Since the map is small, I don't really care about mobility and only recall/recruit a couple dwarfs. I usually have all the close-by trolls killed before the troll warriors even arrive. By that time, Li'sar still has plenty of gold and units left and you can just follow them and let them suicide themselves against the warriors and finish them off.
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

It's actually possible to win this by recruiting only thieves
michae1211

Post by michae1211 »

Well, No doubt this is late, and you have already beat the level, but here's how I beat it. I had a lot of experienced unit's, (that I had trained up from previous engagement's (Use whatever holds the line, guardsmen shoudl work I believe)) take up the left, then sent the mage's to the right, then spammed dwarf's, and sent them all right, and gradually pushed the trolls on my left flank to the choke point, and had 3 units stationed there, incase one needed a rest, And sent the rest of my forces to the right, and just pretty much jammed whatever else i had left at their forces, (I suggest keeping your more experienced unit's behind the main line, and allow some more unit's to level up, it will be helpful during further conflicts) And eventually you will get the ball goin, and the rest is up to you. And if you have already beat this level, then great, and nice job.
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

michae1211 wrote:Well, No doubt this is late, and you have already beat the level, but here's how I beat it. I had a lot of experienced unit's, (that I had trained up from previous engagement's (Use whatever holds the line, guardsmen shoudl work I believe)) take up the left, then sent the mage's to the right, then spammed dwarf's, and sent them all right, and gradually pushed the trolls on my left flank to the choke point, and had 3 units stationed there, incase one needed a rest, And sent the rest of my forces to the right, and just pretty much jammed whatever else i had left at their forces, (I suggest keeping your more experienced unit's behind the main line, and allow some more unit's to level up, it will be helpful during further conflicts) And eventually you will get the ball goin, and the rest is up to you. And if you have already beat this level, then great, and nice job.
cool i like the idea of using the chokepoint