Fellowship of the Clay Hints and Walkthrough

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ken42965

Post by ken42965 »

NOTE: This isn't really a full walkthrough but mainly hints. I put the word walkthrough in to help people find this article and get some much-needed help on the Fellowship of the Clay, since there seems to be none.

The Fellowship of the Clay is an entertaining (though somewhat weird and often very frustrating) campaign that fits in the Wesnoth timeline between the Rise of Wesnoth and the Legends of Westmere. The creator of the campaign seems to be a bit of a sadist and I found several of the scenarios nearly impossible so here are some hints to make the campaign more enjoyable:

1) The very first scenario is one of the most infuriating. Every one of your units (except for a mage and a woodsman) must live or you lose the scenario. On turn ONE, rush everyone into the city. If you wait until the storyline makes it obvious to do that, it's too late and a warg rider will kill one of your peasants or you lose.

2) SAVE THE GAME A LOT!!! Most of the scenarios will have at least 6 units to upside 20 units that will cause you to lose the scenario if killed. I was saving at least twice every turn, once at the start and once when I finished my attacks.

3) Peasants are your friend (except for the first scenario). They make great fodder to diving in front of nasty Yetis that are going to slap your heroes to death. You'll want 3-6 of them in most scenarios. No unkeep on peasants is an added bonus.

4) Mages are crucial. Clyde and Snow-White (I did mention “somewhat weird,” didn't I?) do minor healing but nothing special so do yourself a favor and level up the mage in the first scenario to a white mage and recruit a at least 4 more as soon you can and turn 2 into white mages and 2 into red mage. Do this because one of the scenarios involves 12 turns in a row on night against an undead invasion and mages are the only units that do any real damage.

5) Level up your heroes (units with the crowns on them that must survive every scenario they are in) as fast you can. Make that a priority like the leveling the mages. The stronger your heroes are, the less likely they are to die.

6) Keep an eye on the number of turns left. The author of the campaign does a lot of changing Scenario Objectives in the middle of the scenario. Don't assume you have all of the time in the world. You may 10 turns left and think your done and...boom...now you have to do something.

7) The scenario where endless waves of goblins and a set of Trolls to right is really hard. Here's how I beat it: (on the 4th try) Just do a couple turns of builds. Move 2 fodder units to each of the 2 land bridges in the swamp. Move the main force to the east and kill off the trolls as quickly as you can. Send 3-4 units down to the allied commander and just leave them near him to protect him. Using the trolls encampment, load up on dwarves and elven archers. Fill up the encampment and put dwarves in the hills surrounding it. Don't forget healers!!! Then sit tight. Don't get aggressive. This is a “resist until turn ___” scenario. This scenario is ridiculous. The enemy could swarm and destroy you easily but they don't. They slowly move forward. You can beat it if your careful. If you lose, it will probably be because of the death of the allied commander so defend him but don't get aggressive your units near him either. Just protect him and nothing else. (I may be getting confused here. This isn't from the Legends of Westmere, is it...?)

Hope this helps,

Ken Baumbach, author of Mayageddon 2012 and The Heretics' Power and fellow Battle of Wesnoth addict.
ken42965

Re: Fellowship of the Clay Hints and Walkthrough

Post by ken42965 »

Another hint:

In scenario 15, Army of Darkness, Harriett Porter is the one who dumps the rock into the lava.

Ken Baumbach, author of Mayageddon 2012 and The Heretics' Power and fellow Battle of Wesnoth addict.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

I suggest putting it into the wiki (use the "Play" link at top of the page).
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Hints are a good idea for this campaign. Even better would be a full walkthrough like we have for the official campaigns.

I agree that magi are crucial, and I think the most important ones are silvers. There are many large maps, and as you mentioned, the changing objectives sometimes require you to be on the other side of the map suddenly. I had five besides the heroes, and it was not too many.

(I don't agree that constant save-loading should be a hint. Some of us don't feel like that's a valid way to play a campaign.)
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Reval

Post by Reval »

I feel like I shoud add afew lines. :)

- First hint from my side: The three difficulty settings realy make a difference, so choose according to your taste: E.g. the hint for scenario 1 is probably falid on hard but not so much on easy. (If you read through early posts of the development thread, it was often complaint that the campaign was to easy. SO we changed at least the hard difficulty to be challenging.)
- Second, hints are often already included in the conversations of the characters.
- Yes, objectives sometimes change during the campaig, but (correct me is I am wrong) it is naver the case that the earyl abjectives stand in conflict with the later - you should not be afraid to follow them full-heartedly.
- For sceanrio 14 (the one with the endles waves) the idea is realy that you sneak through the gaps in the waves - so do not try to engage the undead to much.

And of course thanks for the interest!
The Wesnoth Unit Quiz by Flametrooper:
You Scored as Arch Mage - Arrg, just Arch?!?

The Fellowship of the Clay