Sustainable Scenario

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Rugrast

Sustainable Scenario

Post by Rugrast »

So, something that fascinates me are the large line-up-your-army-and-hold-the-line battles. For example, in HttT, my main tactic in the final scenario was the recruit all of my beasts (magi, paladins, fighters, etc.) at any cost and hold the line until the storm breaks. In TRoW, I pulled a similar tactic at Clearwater by taking hold of the two fort hexes and fortifying it with healers, heavies, and other strong units.

I'm interested to know if there is some sort of endless, or nearly endless, scenario like this. Better yet, is there a scenario in which the two sides compete endlessly, fighting for control of the center?

For those of you who have read 1984, this may be a familiar concept. I want a scenario in which two or three factions hold an equal portion of the land and fight endlessly in a game of eternal tug-of-war. Does this exist?

In short, is there a near-endless defense scenario with endless waves of enemies crashing across your water-tight defenses? And is there a near-endless, self-sustaining scenario in which two factions play a game of push and pull, with just enough villages to support their never-ending war, and just the right balance of power and factions that allows for a never-ending war? (That wasn't short at all, now that I think about it.)
CeltiK

Re: Sustainable Scenario

Post by CeltiK »

Rugrast wrote:So, something that fascinates me are the large line-up-your-army-and-hold-the-line battles.

Try the scenario "Human Alliance" in the campaign Legend of Wesmere :P
Rugrast

Post by Rugrast »

CeltiK wrote: Try the scenario "Human Alliance" in the campaign Legend of Wesmere :P
I'll be sure to do that. Is there any way I can play a scenario in particular? I realize that I would be at a major disadvantage hopping into a scenario with an empty recall list. I've never played Legend of Wesmere all the way through, but I'll be sure to soon. ;)

I'm considering trying my hand at WML with a single-scenario campaign in which you hold a mountain pass from hordes of orcs. Basically, the Battle of Thermopylae. It'll be a fun adventure into learning WML and making this dream scenario of mine. ;)
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Rugrast wrote:
CeltiK wrote: Try the scenario "Human Alliance" in the campaign Legend of Wesmere :P
I'll be sure to do that. Is there any way I can play a scenario in particular? I realize that I would be at a major disadvantage hopping into a scenario with an empty recall list. I've never played Legend of Wesmere all the way through, but I'll be sure to soon. ;)

I'm considering trying my hand at WML with a single-scenario campaign in which you hold a mountain pass from hordes of orcs. Basically, the Battle of Thermopylae. It'll be a fun adventure into learning WML and making this dream scenario of mine. ;)
Go for it, it's fun and the best way to get started with wml. I did something similar and made scenario just for myself, defending a big castle against numerous enemies, somewhat the reversal of Showdown from NR.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
kuhlbeans

Post by kuhlbeans »

Eternal Night of the Descent into Darkness campaign is something like what you're looking for,
Spoiler:
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

kuhlbeans wrote:Eternal Night of the Descent into Darkness campaign is something like what you're looking for,
Spoiler:
It's too small of an army until you have done it for so many time. And it's a crappy battlefield.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
Araja

Post by Araja »

The World Conquest add-on always works out by this. There will be multiple AI sides with big keeps, that recruit several keepfulls each. Winning is mostly a matter of holding the meat grinder until they finally run out of soldiers, something that seems to stop happening after several maps.

In a nutshell, you get to play as a flood barrier.
Xelthor

Post by Xelthor »

Is there any way I can play a scenario in particular?
Spoiler:
Sorry i could not be more help... :cry:
"An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind"
--Gandhi
"If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?"
--Thomas Jefferson
alexanderthegre

Post by alexanderthegre »

Although it doesn't look like it, SotBE #2 "The Human Army" is a very difficult "hold-the-line" scenario-- I beat it by hiding in the upper right-hand corner around the signpost.

AFAIK, there isn't an endless one of these; but with some simple WML you could easily write one.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Spoiler:
Another suggestion^
Kymille

Post by Kymille »

If you still have Wesnoth 1.8, you might want to check out Aethaeryns Maps; there's an MP scenario there called Fortress Assault where three armies attack a fortress defended by one player. Playing the defense side and cranking up the starting gold and income of the three attacking armies can work pretty well. (or you can play one attacker and give the defender a lot of money.) There are some other interesting maps in the same pack.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be available on 1.10, but it might give you ideas.
quantumfleet

Post by quantumfleet »

I've been thinking of ending a campaign I've been working on in a fashion like this -- squash the player between two ai sides, and give the ai endless reinforcements until the player dies. It'll be months before I reach that point, though.
Currently working on various ideas using 1.9.8.9
taptap

Post by taptap »

quantumfleet wrote:I've been thinking of ending a campaign I've been working on in a fashion like this -- squash the player between two ai sides, and give the ai endless reinforcements until the player dies. It'll be months before I reach that point, though.
For obvious reasons players will love this.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Luckystars

Post by Luckystars »

In order to skip to seperate scenarios go into debug mode
:debug
then type :cl
pick the scenario
Since you will probably need much more units, you can try right clicking while in debug mode to create units
create what ever units you want.
other potentially useful commands in debug are
select a unit and type
:unit hitpoints=xxx (up to 999 i think)
:unit moves=xx (up to 99)

I think that there is probably a way to give your opponent gold (for an endless survival mode) but I don't know how Maybe someone can help? if you can figure that out I am sure that you will be able to create the ultimate survival scenario with ease

Edit
Ok I just figured out how to give your opponents gold
When you are in debug mode type :gold XXXX (x= amount of gold) on THEIR turn. This will give the current turn taker that much gold which equals endless survival
Also I should add
:turn_limit [number] can set the turn limit if no number is provided or it is -1 the turn limit is turned off Have fun and I would appreciate if you told me what you do in the end
Thanks! Good luck
perseo

Post by perseo »

I really believe you can give gold to a certain side with debug mode but I don't remember how. Read the help part of comands in order to understand all this kind of things better.
BTW: When I'm developing a scenario, a bottleneck is one of the thinks I try to avoid but it can be endless coz of the simple definition of bottleneck; one side with few gold can rotate its units without many problems and the other side will never pass (I guess this kind of things are funny when you're blocking the pass and are the most horrible playing experience when you're trying to pass :lol2:
ANyway, we're talking of a game with a luck factor so a perfect balance is nearly imposible though I've played multiplayer games that were impossible to end due to the balance between the players skills.
See ya!
"I was pulling a barrow, when I saw a stalking horse
what a beautiful day!- he said- for visiting a red herring
and getting hoarse."
Working on this campaign: The septentrional tower