Best two units

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Superking

Best two units

Post by Superking »

Simple challenge:

Design the best possible faction which has any 2 units picked from the default wesnoth multiplayer factions, that would be optimal for playing on the default 1v1 maps.

For example, I would choose
1) Troll Whelp - Excellent HP/cost, resistances & regeneration. Cheap, and deals impact damage (that few units resist). blade & Peirce Resistance.
2) Cavalryman - Excellent speed, blade & impact resistance & performance on plains. Most cost efficent scout.

Between these two units I have Lawful & Chaotic, Pierce resist and Pierce vunerability, Optimal on plains and optimal on hills, fast and slow. Units optimal against one are largely vunerable to the other.
What I would lack is ranged attackers and village holders (though I could get ranged attackers when somthing levels).

Will be interesting to see which units people think are most indispensable!
lover de wesnoth
powershot

Re: Best two units

Post by powershot »

1) footpad
2) Wose

Love footpads. And Woses totally pawn Trolls. :D
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
The heck m8? I thought you left... No seriously... go... serious...
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

Superking wrote:Simple challenge:

Design the best possible faction which has any 2 units picked from the default wesnoth multiplayer factions, that would be optimal for playing on the default 1v1 maps.
Playing against who? Against other such 2-unit factions, against a particular mainline faction, against all mainline factions, against any faction anyone can think of?

(I think the combination of elvish shaman (or one of their level-ups, or goblin pillager) and dwarfish ulfserker/berserker is quite useful.)
Superking

Post by Superking »

against other 2 unit factions from vanilla wesnoth multiplayer, consisting only of units that are normally recruitable (eg. l0 & l1)
powershot wrote:Woses totally pawn Trolls. :D
on anything but a 1:1 vs a troll basis, they most certainly do not :D
lover de wesnoth
Jaume

Post by Jaume »

pauxlo wrote:(I think the combination of elvish shaman (or one of their level-ups, or goblin pillager) and dwarfish ulfserker/berserker is quite useful.)
Damn, you beat me to it. :)
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Assuming I'm fighting another such combination (but don't know which one ahead of time) and that I'm playing as p1 on a mainline map with default schedual, I would pick orcish grunts and dark adepts or thieves and saurian skirmishers both of which are very efficient combinations with great breaking power and village stealing potential.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Not sure how well it would work, but I'd be tempted to try Elvish Shaman + Drake Clasher

(Then again, I'd hate to have a unit with cold weakness considering the high likelihood my opponent will field Dark Adepts.)
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
MRDNRA

Post by MRDNRA »

Probably dark adepts and spearmen.
blueknight1758

Post by blueknight1758 »

powershot wrote:1) footpad
2) Wose
And what if your enemy resists impact?

I would pick a dark adept for it's high damage and a heavy infantry man for its high resistance and fearless trait so at night they'd be a decent owning duo.

Or I'd pick an elvish shaman for it's healing and an elvish archer and then stick to the forests for woodland devastation.
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

1. Footpad
2. Ulfserker
Great_Mage_Atari

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

Heck, why not:

1) Dwarvish Fighter (good defenses, hardy, healthy chance for a trait)
2) Dark Adept (good ranged ability, counters drakes and blade/ impact resistant units where Dwarvish Fighters cannot)

Between these two I have picked a combination of brute force and meticulous ranged capabilities, allowing for dominance over almost any enemy that comes my way. The combination of impact and arcane allows me to slaughter the normally hardy and resistant undead, whilst the cold ranged attack gives me an edge over the Drakes. The sheer offensive and defensive prowess of my Fighters allows them to protect my melee challenged Adepts so that they can advance and not be wiped out so quickly.
Jaume

Post by Jaume »

1. Orcish Assassin - for the non-lethal poison damage
2. Soulless - to deal the finishing blow :mrgreen:
powershot

Post by powershot »

Of course it always matters who you're fighting.

In that case, if I was fighting these two faction teams I would use:

1)Ghost
2)Hakim
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
The heck m8? I thought you left... No seriously... go... serious...
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

The best combo
1. Elven Archer
2. Dwarven Fighter
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

Spearman and Mage.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf