What Kind of Player Are You?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Great_Mage_Atari

What Kind of Player Are You?

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

Are you a player who likes to rush into combat right after the beginning gong sounds? Or do you like to lay low and gather forces before making your strike? How about letting your enemy come to you? This topic is purely for discussion, and is not meant to be a repetition of past topics (if there were any). This is supposed to be used to discuss whether it is better to be a charging bull or a stalking tiger, ready for the kill.

If need be, please feel free to post a certain scenario in which you would use the tactic you prefer (i.e. along a river or in the forest).

Thanks for your time and happy submitting! :D
Caphriel

Re: What Kind of Player Are You?

Post by Caphriel »

It depends on the factions and the map. Most maps start at dawn, and chaotic factions generally need to push for an attack during the first night. Therefore, lawful factions usually start off a bit defensively. Terrain is whatever is available; when defending, it's usually safer, if possible to stay out of range of your enemy or form a straight line than to scatter your units around on good terrain.

It also depends on the other player's behavior. If your opponent is banking, and he can out-bank you, you'll have to attack in order to force him to recruit. If he's building up units, you can bank, and recruit when he attacks. If he's not attacking, then you just move forward as far as is safe and wait for good time of day.

All that said, I'm a fan of more aggressive and less conventional strategies (HODOR!) I find Banking for Wesnoth to be quite boring to play and play against.

Clarifying edit: I only play, and almost always only discuss, multiplayer, vanilla Wesnoth.
Last edited by Caphriel on July 28th, 2011, 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobknows

Post by bobknows »

I usually find a defensive spot and weather their first attack, then when they have little gold I go for a kill.

I have been playing against the ai mainly in campaigns and this seems to work well
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

Can't see the forest for the trees? ... Attack the trees! :evil:

PS - Did you know that with BBCode you can make the entire quote block a link? :eng:
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
powershot

Post by powershot »

Sit back, well when I use Vulcans.
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
The heck m8? I thought you left... No seriously... go... serious...
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

shadowmaster, forgive me! :cry: I was going to change it and return a smile to your skeletal, Xykon-ish face, but then I realized that your post would no longer make sense if I did that. Hmmm :hmm:
Shinobody

Post by Shinobody »

Well, I don't play multiplayer, but that's what I do against AI:
I always like to check for defensive possibilities; Carefully, analyzing XP of units around, time of day now and in next turn, and how far enemy will be able to move in his, I put my units on carefully selected positions, making sure they're properly backed up and not uncovered; And that no valuable unit will have chance to die (since I know, that [acronym=how you dare not to know the name of RANDOM NUMBERS GENERATOR!]RNG[/acronym] is just waiting to give him "slim chance"); Then, I put my plans to work, I click end turn...
And realize I've forgotten something, something imprortant. PEOPLE DIE THEN.
Then, I save-scum, trying to find optimal troop combination, I always miss something.
Then, I cry... and turn on Debug Mode. :P Yep, I suck at this game. (somehow I still like it though... :hmm: )
Artist, writer, game designer for hire.
Art portfolio: https://shino1.artstation.com
Writing dump: https://shino1portfolio.wordpress.com/
My itchio for video games and TTRPG stuff: https://shino1.itch.io/
powershot

Post by powershot »

I don't care about time of day. Vulcans are Choatic and have no traits beside fearless.
My new account is: Power_Pixel_Wannabe. Yea. Yea.... Why are you still reading this? What the heck m8? You have some kind of problem? Yea. I draw. NO I'M NOT 5 ANYMORE!!! Little brats.
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Seriously powershot, you should not bring up your vulcans in such discutions about mainline. It's cool that you found your own way to make the game easier and enjoyable to you besides using debug mode (and I'm not saying it's a bad thing to use debug mode or any way of cheating - I use it myself in SP), but frankly nobody else uses them and probably nobody else really cares much about them. Not in discutions about mainline stuff, anyway.

As for the disctuion at hand, I am more the leaping tiger type. I like to have my troops in position before attacking, and when I do so, I like that most of them can get in good spots while still managing a retreat. I especially have trouble doing chaotic first-night-rushes, because in those cases you just can't place your units carefully, you have to fling them at the opponent as fast as possible.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I don’t really play multiplayer a lot since I only play with people I know from the forums or (especially) IRC, but when I do it’s usually 1v1s.

I try to come up with what I believe to be a strong strategy at first depending on the map and my oponent’s faction. If I don’t know the map beforehand I’ll always lose — no exceptions. However, I still lose most matches at the end because I either get impatient or my enemy manages to acquire a L2 (or in one match, a L3 Royal Harbinger of Loyalist Doom Guard). I especially stuck at mirror matches.

I don’t play 2v2s since I am even worse as an experienced player’s ally.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Huumy

Post by Huumy »

I'm more of a defensive player nowadays. Before I was playing more (and being better at this game) made it possible to be more agressive and actually win games with good attacks. I think the hardest thing in 1v1 is to do good attacks, tho of course it's also hard to defend vs strong players.

So is it better to charging bull or stalking tiger? I think you need to be both and you need to know when to switch between them.

Which one I am? Stalking tiger 100%. I really need to practise and take ton of stupid losses before I can be a good charging bull.
Some players, I am sure they are naturally better playing more agressive and they need to practise to play better when defensive, tho I think any1 who plays a lot can be good at both and be good at this game if they are willing to play out of their comfort zone and take some beating on ladder. :)
"And the girl that you want is directly out in front, And she’s waving her caboose at you, You sneeze achoo, She calls you out and boom!"
The offspring, trolling you since forever.
powershot

Post by powershot »

When I use drakes I summon a few saurian healers and use some drakes to defend, then I may attack a little(or a lot! :twisted: ). I mean, the best defense is a good offense right?
ok bye m8. I'm serious.
Boldek

Post by Boldek »

my strategy is to recruit half of my army fighters and the other half scouts or archers, then, depending on my alignment, await the proper time, meanwhile defending by making a line of fighters, any healers behind lines, archers directly behind fighters, and send scouts forward to natch villages and break up enemy concentration. then, after weathering the attacking, at dawn, or dusk, charge the ranks and keep my fighters to grind and keep a nice line, send my archers through any holes created by fighters, and pick of the key troops. if any of my scouts are alive, use them to steal more villages. once they run out of money and soldiers, charge witha new keepful of recruits with my leader and exterminate enemy leader. works against ai, but not against human cunning. and the strategy takes a lot of gold.
Guys I never thought I'd come back to this forum after 8 years this is wild