Heir to the Throne walkthrough updated

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ott
Inactive Developer

Heir to the Throne walkthrough updated

Post by ott »

See the Wiki page
http://wesnoth.slack.it/?ScenarioDiscussion
for updates to the walkthrough of Heir to the Throne. The text for scenarios 5 to 25 is all new.

Thanks to those who created the page originally and wrote the first four scenario overviews. Please contribute if you have something to add.

Warning: lots of spoilers.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

i changed it by both updating many HttT scenarios and making it so there can be info on all of the campaigns.

Basically, i made it so MainlineScenarios has links to HeirToTheThrone, TheDarkHordes, SonOfTheBlackEyeChapterOne, TheEasternInvasion, and TheRiseOfWesnoth. Each of those can have the walkthrough for that campaign.

also, perhaps links to replays could be put there, for those who don't understand the suggestions? :D
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

Nice reorg.

It would be good to see descriptions for the other campaigns, and some more expert advice for the later scenarios in HttT. For instance, does anyone have a way to beat Test of the Clans without lots of knights?
allover

Splitting further

Post by allover »

As it stands now, it is very tempting to just read all the walkthroughs. In the interest of keeping walkthroughs for those times when you just can't figure out how to beat a level, maybe it would be nice to put each walkthrough on its own page, and then the main page can just point to all of them?

I think replays would be nice. It should be pointed out, though, that (a) a replay is pretty specific advice, and (b) on my wesnoth 0.8.4 at least, a replay can serve as a saved game, that is, you can play onward from it. Whether these are good things I don't know. I have a few replays (of early scenarios) I'd be happy to conrtibute, but while I won them (without cheating), I'm not sure my strategy can serve as a positive example. Can replays be posted on the Wiki?
turin
Lord of the East

Re: Splitting further

Post by turin »

allover wrote:As it stands now, it is very tempting to just read all the walkthroughs. In the interest of keeping walkthroughs for those times when you just can't figure out how to beat a level, maybe it would be nice to put each walkthrough on its own page, and then the main page can just point to all of them?
interesting... not sure its a great idea, but interesting.
allover wrote:(b) on my wesnoth 0.8.4 at least, a replay can serve as a saved game, that is, you can play onward from it.
wesnoth will not stop you from cheating. (quote miyo). if you want to cheat (by playing from a replay you didn't make... thats your problem, you're just making the game elss enjoyable for yourself.
allover wrote:Can replays be posted on the Wiki?
No, you must post them as attachments on the forum, then link to them..

its probably best if the campaign designer puts the replays on, since they know the campaign the best. That, or the campaign designer can give someone else the task of putting on replays... having replays by non-experienced people would be acceptable, but not desirable...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Re: Splitting further

Post by turin »

allover wrote:As it stands now, it is very tempting to just read all the walkthroughs. In the interest of keeping walkthroughs for those times when you just can't figure out how to beat a level, maybe it would be nice to put each walkthrough on its own page, and then the main page can just point to all of them?
interesting... not sure its a great idea, but interesting.
allover wrote:(b) on my wesnoth 0.8.4 at least, a replay can serve as a saved game, that is, you can play onward from it.
wesnoth will not stop you from cheating. (quote miyo). if you want to cheat (by playing from a replay you didn't make... thats your problem, you're just making the game elss enjoyable for yourself.
allover wrote:Can replays be posted on the Wiki?
No, you must post them as attachments on the forum, then link to them..

its probably best if the campaign designer puts the replays on, since they know the campaign the best. That, or the campaign designer can give someone else the task of putting on replays... having replays by non-experienced people would be acceptable, but not desirable...
The World of Orbivm
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

allover wrote:
As it stands now, it is very tempting to just read all the walkthroughs. In the interest of keeping walkthroughs for those times when you just can't figure out how to beat a level, maybe it would be nice to put each walkthrough on its own page, and then the main page can just point to all of them?
Agreed. However, for the sake of not creating unnecessary work, as the walkthroughs grow they can be split off into separate pages. Until there is substantial content on the page, it's probably best to keep them together.

Have now added descriptions for The Dark Hordes, to
http://wesnoth.slack.it/?TheDarkHordes

Someone has now made a start on The Eastern Invasion, at http://wesnoth.slack.it/?TheEasternInvasion
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

ott wrote:Someone has now made a start on The Eastern Invasion, at http://wesnoth.slack.it/?TheEasternInvasion
Me. :) So you know the strategy is, if not the best, what the designer intended, and you can complain if the tactics don't work.
The World of Orbivm
Invisible Philosopher

Post by Invisible Philosopher »

ott wrote:For instance, does anyone have a way to beat Test of the Clans without lots of knights?
Lots of Assassins, Dwarvish Lords, and other powerful level 3 units, along with ~500 gold. ;)
Play a Silver Mage in the Wesvoid campaign.
Doros

Post by Doros »

Hey, where'd it all go? All I get now is a strange, orange page...
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

Doros wrote:Hey, where'd it all go? All I get now is a strange, orange page...
It's fixed now...
hey buddy, we have backups :finger: and you are a l00ser! -- Jaramir
Fulk d'Anjou

A Very Pleasant Surprise

Post by Fulk d'Anjou »

Very pleased to see the walkthroughs I started are now beautifully reorganized and completed. I had no idea HTTh was so vast... I am still working on early playthroughs and Revenge scenario attempts (I have won but would like to do so without so much carnage). Well done and I am gratified that the Wiki portion of this remarkable game site is now being used as it seemed to me that it could, and should be ...
Many thanks. BTW the players of this game seem vastly skilled ...
Fulk is King!
Hex is Queen!