Easy Strategy that always wins: using the Elvish Sylph

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Glowing Fish

Easy Strategy that always wins: using the Elvish Sylph

Post by Glowing Fish » September 28th, 2010, 5:24 am

I would have said, for a long time, that there are no "easy answers" in Wesnoth.
But I finally found one.
The Easy Answer to Wesnoth is the Elvish Sylph. If the Elvish Sylph wasn't so fun, it would be unbalanced. It is only unbalanced the way that eating an ice cream sundae is an unbalanced meal.
(Of course, obtaining an Elvish Sylph is not at all easy, since it requires the type of XP that only comes about in long campaigns)

There is almost no situation where an Elvish Sylph will not prevail. It deals almost as much damage as a Great Mage, but unlike a Great Mage, it has a slow attack. It can slow down almost any mellee unit to the point where it can not do much damage, especially considering that the Elvish Sylph has great or good defenses on almost every type of terrain. And it can move fast too, floating where it needs to go.

I would say there is almost no unit that can stand against the Sylph, but there would be situations where it would be outmatched, such as a battle against an unending supply of Lancers on plains, or against a horde of Berserkers on cave. Otherwise, there is not much that it can't do.

Also, isn't she pretty?
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.

PriestLizard

Re: Easy Strategy that always wins: using the Elvish Sylph

Post by PriestLizard » September 28th, 2010, 9:07 am

Hi there :)

Basically you're right, the Sylph is an awesome unit. However as you already pointed out, it is Lv.4 so untill you finally got a Sylph, most multiplayer games are already over. I can't remember that I ever had a Sylph in a MP game... :hmm:

For campaigns, yup, Sylphies kick ass. It will indeed prevail in most if not all 1v1 situations. Nevertheless it has some weaknesses. Engage it with strong high level melee and/or orcish assassins and it will go down quickly. I really believe that Wesnoth is quite balanced (at least the multiplayer part, campaigns are, naturally, not always balanced).

Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish » September 29th, 2010, 12:29 am

PriestLizard wrote: For campaigns, yup, Sylphies kick ass. It will indeed prevail in most if not all 1v1 situations. Nevertheless it has some weaknesses. Engage it with strong high level melee and/or orcish assassins and it will go down quickly. I really believe that Wesnoth is quite balanced (at least the multiplayer part, campaigns are, naturally, not always balanced).
Well, if it gets engaged by a strong melee unit, it is in trouble. The thing is, since it has such good movement, it is more likely to be engaging first, with an attack that slows. If it does a slow attack on say, a Royal Guardsman or Orcish Warlord, that unit isn't going to be able to do much damage, if the Sylph is in halfway good terrain.

As for Orcish assassins...only if the enemy is willing to suicide them. A little bit of poison versus A LOT of magic.

ShakeZula

Post by ShakeZula » September 29th, 2010, 6:05 pm

In order to keep something like a troll warrior or royal gaurd slowed though, you would have to use the lesser damaging attack over and over (6-5 i think? 30 damage max, while a slowed royal gaurd would do what? about 15-20?) while they would still be doing decent melee damage, and those things have massive health bars while the sylph is not made for tanking, I don't know though, it would be an interesting experiment. I don't think I've ever seen a sylph in MP, but if I had to kill one I guess I would want to surround it with cheap melee and skirmishers to damage it, then bring in something big & nasty to finish it.

Plus, if its a long enough game for you to make a sylph there's no telling what other players could have.

Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish » September 29th, 2010, 7:50 pm

I was talking almost totally of campaigns, where you are fighting the AI, and might have several Sylphs, and a Shyde.

I played HttT on medium, recruiting only Sylphs, and by the time I got past Siege of Elensefar, I basically just pointed, clicked, moved and killed.

ShakeZula

Post by ShakeZula » September 29th, 2010, 9:54 pm

HttT on medium is the only campaign I have ever played, and I only got about half way through it before I started playing exclusively on the server. In that campaign I had one sylph, which is the only sylph I have ever personally controlled, but yea your right, it pretty much did mop up anything that came near it. An army of pwn fairies sort of takes the fun out of the game though, don't you think? lol

I have tried to make leader sylphs in orocia and whatnot, but I can never keep a game going long enough to get it up to that level without putting it in constant danger and someone putting "??!?!?" labels all over it, as they often do when you leave one hex open next to your leader, meanwhile their line units are getting passed around like a bangkok wh... we'll never mind that's another issue altogether.

Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish » September 30th, 2010, 12:30 am

ShakeZula wrote:HttT on medium is the only campaign I have ever played, and I only got about half way through it before I started playing exclusively on the server. In that campaign I had one sylph, which is the only sylph I have ever personally controlled, but yea your right, it pretty much did mop up anything that came near it. An army of pwn fairies sort of takes the fun out of the game though, don't you think? lol
Although not all the time, there are times when just being able to MOP THE FLOOR is fun.

You might be familiar with Heroes of Might and Magic II, where you could play as a necromancer who could raise dead enemies as skeletons. There was one scenario in a campaign where you could fight thousands of enemy cannon-fodder, and raise a gigantic army of skeletons, and then stomp through the countryside laying waste everything. It was pretty fun.

And that is what having a bunch of Elvish Sylphs is like.

laddiebuck

Post by laddiebuck » August 7th, 2019, 8:11 pm

I love Sylphs for campaigns. Yes, their Achilles heel is tanks with blades (Knights/Lancers/Guards/etc), but they are still about evenly matched with those kinds of units, while absolutely mopping the floor with other units given their combination of heavy hitting magical/arcane attacks, high defense on almost any terrain, and fantastic movement. I like using them as the backbone of a campaign army with some tanks and healers in support.

Here is a replay of them wiping out the enemy in the final scenario of HttT. I recruited a line of Dwarvish Guardsmen as front-line shock absorbers, recalled a few keepfuls of Sylphs, and some Grand Knights, Paladins, and Mages of Light to round it all out. The Sylphs dealt most of my offensive damage, and it was a lot of fun. Maybe too easy, but it was a fun payoff for leveling them up throughout the campaign.
Attachments
HttT-The Battle for Wesnoth replay Sylphs.gz
(54.5 KiB) Downloaded 30 times

shevegen

Post by shevegen » August 9th, 2019, 9:44 pm

I like them a lot, mostly due to mobility, but of course also due to power.

Only problem is amassing the XP which, in campaigns, can take a little while.

I realized that I can not play with units that are slow, such as these shock troopers, so I cater to quick units in general.