Newbie complain about The Ilse of Anduin.

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Frank the tank

Newbie complain about The Ilse of Anduin.

Post by Frank the tank »

Ok, I'm new to wesnoth, played the tutorial, read through the Manual and forum; I made lvl 1 and 2 of the first scenario at my first attempt, and now I'm stuck on lvl 3 like for 3 days. No matter which tactic, recruiting more this or that, trying to rush or play defensly, the orcs beat the crap out of me............ I will not play on easy, so anyone got a replay for me to watch and learn ? Btw, I only have one troop on lvl2 from the lvl before, does that matter ?
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

hmm couple of advices/questions

why don't you play on easy ?

you shouldn't rely on other game experience, wesnoth's easy seting is actually quite hard, and is just right for people experienced with other games that are discovering wesnoth, I wouldn't recommend medium and hard for someone who hasn't one the campaign once on easy

how many leveled units do you have

at this point 3/4 seems a minimu... going back a couple of scenarios to have more gold/level more units is considered a normal tactic in wesnoth, maybe you should do that...

do you know ALL the rules ?

wesnoth's rules arn't very complicated, but compared to other strategy game (particularly real time ones) it is important to know and master them all

do you attack and retread in sync with day and night
do you choose your defense terrain wiesly,
do you recruit the right type of unit with the right type of damage ?

I'd like to put a particular emphasis on that last point... in most other strategy games I know, the base campaign gives you more units as you progress, the new units being more powerfull/more powerfull than the previous ones... this is not the case in wesnoth, the units you will be allowed to recruit as you progress arn't better. They give you more strategic possibilities, but they are not better. It's not because you have mages that you should recruit only mages and flood your ennemies with mages. your oather units are still mandatory to win, and balanced troops are always the most effective...

hope this helps...
Gimli

Post by Gimli »

I was stuck at the same level some time ago. I've replayed the scenarios before that, paying attention to gaining XP, then I've beated IoA in no time.
You should have at least one ranger/marksman, one hero/captain, one knight/lancer and maybe a druid (or a shaman close to level up).
Retart the campaign, it isn't very hard to level up 2-3 units and it is worth the effort.
Bye
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

One level 2 unit should be enough on 'medium'. Even with no level 2 units at all it's very possible.

The AI only has 100 gold on medium, and the player is guaranteed at least 100. The AI does start with lots of villages, but the player has Delfador. Good tactics, especially good use of day/night and use of the forest, being wary of the hills, should set you on your road to victory.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
PrinzMegaherz

Post by PrinzMegaherz »

Obviously this map demands that you split your forces. I would recommend to send one force with Delfador over the river and thwart the enemies attempt to capture all villages. I usually send one fighter, archer and healer to the west. Everything I build afterwards goes south trough the big forest. West side needs to buy your main army enough time so they can defeat the enemy commander.

Notice that the battle results are very random. If your units keep missing the enemy getting hitts in return, feel free to reload the turn and hope for better results. Some might consider this to be cheating, but after three days you should give it a try :D
grochti

Post by grochti »

I wonder if it is an error or a bad joke that i can´t recall units in this level any longer ... :roll:

BtW : Why do I have to recall Delfaldor in lvl 2 ( and why do i have to recall my father in lvl 1 of RoW) ?
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

grochti wrote:I wonder if it is an error or a bad joke that i can´t recall units in this level any longer ... :roll:

BtW : Why do I have to recall Delfaldor in lvl 2 ( and why do i have to recall my father in lvl 1 of RoW) ?
These all sounds like bugs....what version of the game are you using??

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
grochti

Post by grochti »

Hi Dave :lol: ,
don´t take this postings to seriously. I use the CVS-version , and I know where to post a bug report.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

ahhh I think this is from Integral's patch. Might be fixed in CVS HEAD though.

David
Integral

Post by Integral »

Dave wrote:ahhh I think this is from Integral's patch. Might be fixed in CVS HEAD though.
It does sound like a side effect...but I playtested up to level 2 or 3 and was able to recall. That's not to say he couldn't have found a weird case, but it seems unlikely to me.

I think, though, that you would get this effect if you load a game saved with (for instance) 0.8.4 with a patched Wesnoth; while I sort of attempted to load old saved games correctly, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it doesn't work. (in fact, now that I think of it, that code might have been removed when I went from indexing players by number to indexing them by name) Probably if there is an old-style recall list and/or gold available, you can just hand them to the first player you see (under the assumption that there's only one interesting player anyway).

Daniel

PS - I notice my patch doesn't appear in the ChangeLog. If I send in more patches, should they include a ChangeLog entry, or do you prefer writing them yourself?
silene

Post by silene »

I think, though, that you would get this effect if you load a game saved with (for instance) 0.8.4 with a patched Wesnoth
Yes, it's what is currently happening. You can't recall units from games saved with older version of wesnoth. And it's has been confirmed by a lot of people on #wesnoth-dev fwiw.
grochti

Post by grochti »

I´m getting "these effect" playing with an uptodate CVS-version of the game. Even if i start playing at lvl 1 , I am unable to recall at the Isle of Aduin and Bay of Pearls.
The bug only seems to affect HttT .
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Okay, we really don't want 0.8.5 to not be backwards compatible with 0.8.4, so we're going to have to work out how to fix this....

David
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I have committed an attempted fix to the backwards compatibility problems of the save game formats.

David
grochti

Post by grochti »

Seems to work flawlessly. Thanks a lot. :twisted: