Royal Rumble: Classic strategies

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

batoonike

Royal Rumble: Classic strategies

Post by batoonike »

Couldnt find a topic on this.
Tips:

*if you equip the "Charisma" item before reqruiting, all your units reqruited afterwards have 0 upkeep, even though it doesnt say that. Its not totally imbalanced, since in some cases its still better to take another item and not charisma, but I think everyone should know this.

*Equip midas on turn 1, so you get +2 gold for the "shopping" turn aswell.

*If youre not player 1, equip all lifespawn items (regeneration etc) on turn 1, so if someone decides to rush you right away, you stay more healthy.

*Always hide all the items you took as long as possible. This is especially true for skirmish and sometimes the "-50% xp needed" potion. Notice that if you take the potion and your xp turns into something like "13/10", you have the xp needed but you wont level up before you battle something. Skirmisher starts working the moment you swallow the potion.

So what kind of strategies have been working best for you :D?

I tried going lancer as the leader + skirmisher potion (which you hide as long as needed) + midas + something else. The midas means you pretty much get +10 gold every other turn, since your leader just rides through everything. Skirmisher enables you to take care of some more risky archers and mage-leaders that would get you trapped otherwise. Most of the time I missed most the regeneration ability, so I'd take regeneration as the third item, though +2 damage and any other lifespawn item looks good too. The +2 damage turns your day attack from 30x3 to 35x3. (somehow it does, tested it).
You are somewhat screwed though, if opponent gets too many pikemen.

One of easiest ways to win seems to be abusing trolls. Get troll leader + crown item + anything you like besides that. If you get crown, I wouldnt get any other leader-specific item, since the idea is that you level up the trolls and then losing your leader doesnt matter that much anymore. Make a wall of trolls so that nothing can be attacked from 2 or max 3 directions and try to move around with the wall getting some xp on trolls and taking advantage of your whole army having regeneration.

If there arent many mage units around, wraith with skirmish + resilient + regen doesnt seem to die ever too. The bad thing is, that there usually are some mages around. Lich is also very bad, even if you get resilient skirmish regen sceptre against it.

Since theres no room, I find drakes very hard to play as.
Bellerophon

Re: Royal Rumble: Classic strategies

Post by Bellerophon »

*sigh* how did it ever come to this...

First off, any decent RR is played with random leaders cuz otherwise you get like ummm...all mages/sorcerers/steelclads if memory serves me correct?

Anybody can win with leaders such as those, true skill is shown trough the proper analysis of your opponents and choosing the appropriate items and that's pretty much it.
batoonike

Since theres too little talk about drakes anyway...

Post by batoonike »

Im still curious, what you do if you turn out to be like a drake warrior for example?* Lets say theres a sorceress, knight, thief, elvish marksman and elvish hero. All the games ive seen so far the drakes just get eaten up as a fastfood, since they cant run anywhere at night and theres always someone who can kill any of your units in 1 or 2 attacks.
batoonike

Re: Royal Rumble: Classic strategies

Post by batoonike »

I cant figure out how to survive with troll. Anything with melee attack hits back very hard, especially since the defense is 40% in castle. Got all health-support items, still die on turn 3.