Legend of Wesmere - Costly Revenge: 1.7 is super tough

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

lotsofphil

Legend of Wesmere - Costly Revenge: 1.7 is super tough

Post by lotsofphil »

I am having trouble beating Costly Revenge on medium, 1.7.5. No healing from villages. No healing from shaman line. Here is my recall list (including units around without recalling):
(level 3)
1 marshal,
4 sharpshooters
3 champion
(level2)
1 outrider,
3 heroes,
1 marksman,
1 rider,
(level 1)
1 fighter and archer both almost leveled

I have 402 gold so I can recall all of them and a few other units.

I get fairly close to winning but am stuck between staying in safe terrain and running out of turns (the saurians are not that aggressive) or playing aggressive and getting ground up. Does anyone have any tips? I think I will replay the previous scenario and try to get more money.

Aside from tips, this seems much more difficult than in 1.6. I think my recruit list is pretty decent for medium but I seem incapable of winning with it. I'll post a replay if anyone's interested. I believe the last attempt was of the "throw elves and saurians into grinder, hope more saurians get ground up" variety.
Max

Re: Legend of Wesmere - Costly Revenge: 1.7 is super tough

Post by Max »

lotsofphil wrote:I'll post a replay if anyone's interested
just post the beginning of the scenario save, i'm sure there's always someone around how would give it a try.
Skrim

Post by Skrim »

I posted a replay of a 1.7.5 Costly Revenge play-through in a pretty recent thread.

But then, I had a lot of gold, and the scenario objectives said that I wouldn't be keeping it, so I converted it into hordes of disposable Elvish Fighters which I sometimes sacrificed just to keep things rolling at times. Still lost a Sharpshooter though, thanks to a pair of lucky retaliation shots from a Saurian Flanker followed up by 2 Oracles.

Of course, it's not as if high level units' lives matter here.
Spoiler:
lotsofphil

Post by lotsofphil »

Skrim, missed your thread because you I searched for "wesmere revenge" not LoW. Ooops. You have wayyy more gold and troops than me. I went back and re-did the previous level and am up to 600 gold now. I think that will be enough.

I attached 2 saves. Enjoy.

edit: piece of cake with 600 gold. Lesson learned: get more gold.
Attachments
LOW-Costly_Revenge_Turn_1-2.gz
Second attempt with 600 gold (same recall list). Hopefully this will be easier.
(55.23 KiB) Downloaded 276 times
LOW-Costly_Revenge_Turn_1.gz
Only 400 gold here. This is what the original post was about.
(55.02 KiB) Downloaded 267 times
Faryshta

Post by Faryshta »

What I done was. Don't leave the forest near the castle. The saurians are weak on ice but strong everywhere else on the map.

Recruit almost purely 14 gold fighters. I actually only recruited them. If you want to recall try to recall just units next to an advance or AMLA. Almost any unit you recall will die.

For healing: You have only two options, rest and advance, you can put fighters with useless traits such as quick and dextrous on positions where they will surely die but whose positions needs to be held, example edges like (7,19). Keep the strong, resillent, intelligent safe and give them the best options to advance. See that just as a healing since you will still lose many level 2 fighters.

As usual try not to risk your loyal units and make them fight just a few times (3 or 4) during all the scenario.

If you are about to loss a unit better be in a glorious way helping others to level up (and heal).

At the end of the scenario I lost: 14 fighters, 2 heros, 1 champion, 1 scout and 2 archers.

Anyway this units you will not be able to use them later so feel free to sacrifice them.