Still searching for the Sceptre of Fire

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

cathyr19355

Still searching for the Sceptre of Fire

Post by cathyr19355 »

I'm not having a problem surviving the "Sceptre of Fire" scenario in HttT, or even leveling units (care for some Dwarven Lords, anyone?). No, my problem is that I can't find the damn Sceptre in 45 turns! I get to the last turn, having explored 2/3 to 3/4ths of the map, without seeing it! Any suggestions for how I can find it?
--Cathy Raymond
<cathy@thyrsus.com>
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

It moves but generally go north/northwest. What parts of the map do you normally get explored?
cathyr19355

Post by cathyr19355 »

I typically recruit enough to build two sets of forces, one to the northwest and one to the northeast. Typically the one that hits the trolls doesn't get as far north as the other.
--Cathy Raymond
<cathy@thyrsus.com>
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

That's how I do it, but you should be able to get far enough so that the force that goes northeast can sort of go up the middle and come around to the west. What level/number of units are you recruiting?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

The map is generated randomly, so it's possible (although rare) that the scepter gets placed in some odd location. If you really can't find it, I'd suggest starting the scenario again from the beginning, that'll cause the map to be regenerated and quite likely the scepter to be placed in some easier location.
cathyr19355

Post by cathyr19355 »

I've already done that two or three times now. Guess I have to keep trying. :-)
--Cathy Raymond
<cathy@thyrsus.com>
cathyr19355

Post by cathyr19355 »

I have two 3d level dwarven lords and a few dwarven fighters with experience. Unfortunately, I'm short on healers; all I have are an Elvish Druid and the 1st level Elvish Shamans (none of my leveled mages survived to this point, unfortunately). I usually recall all of the above and recruit about 12-15 dwarven fighters, and try to split Delfie, Conrad (who have have up to level 3 and about 71 hit points), Kalenz (also level 3 and about 67 hit points) and Li'sar reasonably between the parties.
--Cathy Raymond
<cathy@thyrsus.com>
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Sounds solid to me, I just used to rely on dwarven stalwarts and then sentinels, they're good for fighting trolls because of steadfast. Good luck with finding the Sceptre, it can be a bugger.
Last edited by Turuk on July 22nd, 2007, 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
cathyr19355

Post by cathyr19355 »

Thanks.
--Cathy Raymond
<cathy@thyrsus.com>
sparr

Post by sparr »

imho the difficulty of some of the later scenarios, including this one, hinges on whether or not dwarven stalwarts and their kin are available. that storyline toggle is quite balance shifting, perhaps too much so.
cathyr19355

Post by cathyr19355 »

Actually, I just succeeded in getting the Sceptre--on turn 27! Thanks for the helpful comments.
--Cathy Raymond
<cathy@thyrsus.com>