Rebels vs. Rebels

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Higher Game
Posts: 171
Joined: August 16th, 2006, 1:01 am

Post by Higher Game »

Lots of mages is important for rebel vs rebel. Due to high forest defense, mostly neutral status, and high hit/low damage per hit units, equally skilled players are going to end up in stalemates very often. The key is to time a mage attack effectively to break the stalemate.

Woses aren't so great because of fire and blade weakness, and shamans aren't good at dealing damage. The main damage dealers are mages, and trying to ensnare them is a bad idea. :lol: Fighters are the primary force, with a few archers as well to defend forests really well.

I say 2:2:1 fighter:mage:archer is the best ratio of units for this matchup. A single scout might be a good idea, but there really isn't too much unpredictability here, so getting another mage instead of a scout might be worth considering.

The key is to use the mages offensively at day, and quickly form a good ZOC to protect them from the counterattack. Or, let your opponent try that, and catch him with a good defense, if you like it that way. Shamans are more important if you're more defensive. The turning point is often when a promotion happens. If you're the first to get an captain or red mage, it's good game. 8)
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor
Posts: 1700
Joined: December 7th, 2006, 8:08 pm

Post by Blarumyrran »

Woses aren't so great because of fire and blade weakness, and shamans aren't good at dealing damage. The main damage dealers are mages, and trying to ensnare them is a bad idea. :lol: Fighters are the primary force, with a few archers as well to defend forests really well.
Woses do not have blade weakness(just they dont have resistance either). even against Warriors, they do fine as long as it isnt night. and, no matter on what terrain archers are, when woses come, archers get seriously owned. as do mermen.

and, as you will probably attack with your mages during day, woses also get their lawful bonus. if you put a wose hiding in forest, and enemy mage attacks a nearby unit of yours(during day, as mentioned), your wose can go right to the mage and deal 2*16 damage to a mage previously unaware of the wose and thus probably not zocced from that(remember that mage has 24 hp, so at 50% defence he will have 25% chance to die and 75% chance to get hit at least once by your wose.). its of course risky and if the mage cannot die in 1 strike(more than 16 hp) it might not be worth it. but if you can also attack the mage with some other unit that turn, the mage will almost certainly die and it feels REALLY good to kill a mage(dont know why). -20g for enemy. mages are only good against woses during mages' turn.

PS "shamans arent good at dealing damage" is a true gem :lol:
Higher Game
Posts: 171
Joined: August 16th, 2006, 1:01 am

Post by Higher Game »

They're a utility unit. 4-2 isn't exactly heavy damage. :P They're nice for letting other units do some damage, though. Semantics.

As for woses, I consider them weak to blade because they are so easy to hit, it's a de facto weakness. Ghosts have fire resistance and heavy infantry have impact resistance, even if they're overall weak to those damage types.

Finally, the issue of a hiding wose can be solved by having a scout. With a scout, you can see any attempted hides with no problems. Of course, without a scout, you can have an extra mage, so it's something worth thinking about. :)
User avatar
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 2047
Joined: June 2nd, 2005, 11:37 am
Location: bridge of SSD Chimera

Post by Thrawn »

[quote="Higher "Thrawn" Game"]Lots of mages is important for rebel vs rebel. It allows enemy elvish fighters to quickly gain xp, which is definately a plus when they finally use archers to kill off a really weak mage, it could actually damage the archer.

Woses aren't so great because of fire and blade weakness,even though they have a good attack, regenerate, and resist pierce, as well as have ambush. and shamans aren't good at dealing damage. The main damage dealers are mages, and elvish fighters and archers and trying to ensnare them is a bad idea, because only 2 units are needed to take one out :lol: Fighters are the primary force, with a few archers as well to defend forests really well,which would pwn my strategy, because they have lots of fighters

I say 2:2:1 fighter:mage:archer is the best ratio of units for this matchup. A single scout might be a good idea, but there really isn't too much unpredictability here, so getting another mage instead of a scout might be worth considering.

The key is to use the mages offensively at day, and quickly form a good ZOC to protect them from the counterattack,which will be hard because I have too many mages Or, let your opponent try that, and have him lose 14 or 28 gold while I lose 20/40., if you like it that way. Shamans are more important if you're more defensive. The turning point is often when a promotion happens. If you're the first to get an captain or red mage, it's good game. unless they level up too, and then it is even, or if they kill off your lvl 2, because you overuse it thinking it will win you the game. 8)[/quote]

I couldn't resist. Higher Game...this strategy is only effective sometimes, and only if you begin with alot of gold...
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Tmoiy
Posts: 72
Joined: February 28th, 2005, 6:10 am
Location: yonder

Post by Tmoiy »

I think Higher Game's principles are mostly correct here. Though I wouldn't use nearly as many mages as he suggests, you will need a couple to damage elves. Just have more fighters so you can protect those mages. :)

Overall, I think this match is very flowing, with several different possible strategies are possible, and you may need to change your strategy based on your opponent's recruitment.
User avatar
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 2047
Joined: June 2nd, 2005, 11:37 am
Location: bridge of SSD Chimera

Post by Thrawn »

Tmoiy wrote:I think Higher Game's principles are mostly correct here. Though I wouldn't use nearly as many mages as he suggests, you will need a couple to damage elves. Just have more fighters so you can protect those mages. :)

Overall, I think this match is very flowing, with several different possible strategies are possible, and you may need to change your strategy based on your opponent's recruitment.
He is right that mages counter archers...

You are correct: it all depends on your opponents recruitment.

I just dislike definative strategies... they don't always work
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Post Reply