Wesnoth 1.0: Northerners vs Northerners, the basics from me

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Angry Andersen

Post by Angry Andersen »

Doesn't the village defense of elvish scouts increase by 10% per level (i.e. 40-60%) ? Or was that only in some intermediate version of the game ?
JW

Post by JW »

Look, the point is, not every unit has to be ultra-1337-unique.

The Northerners need a scout without the Wolf, so the Wolf is there. Simple as that. With 60% on villages he was too powerful of an early village grabber and holder as Doc and other GOOD MP players will attest to. The unit, the faction, and pretty much the entire game, is pretty well balanced and very well thought out in every aspect.

I'm done being the voice of reason here. Find someone else.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Angry Andersen wrote:Doesn't the village defense of elvish scouts increase by 10% per level (i.e. 40-60%) ? Or was that only in some intermediate version of the game ?
Yes, and that is the case with the Wolf Rider tree now also.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Angry Andersen

Post by Angry Andersen »

Ah, I didn't know the village defense increases by level for the wolf-rider too. Anyway, I agree that not every unit must be ultra-special and if they were, a completely normal unit would also be quite special. Also the Pillager is more than special enough, which is a nice incentive to get to lvl2.

I think the best balancing of completely different 'factions' in any game that I've seen so far is StarCraft (with the expansion). Considering that Wesnoth is free and doesn't have a whole nation of fanatic followers (isn't StarCraft the most common Korean sport), I think it does very well.

People have different opinions and some quite stubbornly. I don't think you should let that upset you too much, JW !
F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer

Post by F8 Binds... »

i personally, think his reasoning is messed up. although i am quite new to the forums, i am NOT new to the game. and with trolls being the backbone of your army, that's a mistake on your part. there are many things i would like to address in this post- they are:

trolls are useful for filling only certain purposes, as explained by another. filling mountains and hills, and having the ability to heal wherever. there are serious drawbacks though...

30% defense in grassland
20% resistance to blade/pierce... still does 80% of the original damage.
7-2 is not enough return damage.
almost entirely useless against loyalists, drakes
regeneration doesn't matter when units gang up on the whelp and kill it
4 movement isn't enough (flanked, can't retreat, DEAD)

assassins are useful, as contradicted by higher game earlier in this topic. they not only do 2-3 to trolls, (not significant on its own) but also prevent another 8 from regeneration. you can call that 10-14 damage if you like.

grunts are useful, just in different areas than the whelp, as ignored by higher game. they do more damage, are quicker, are cheaper, do 11-2 during night. these units aren't fragile! these units do suffer a major penalty during the day, but all northerners do. they serve a better purpose when fighting in forest or grassland.

archers are useful, AGAIN contradicted by higher game. they can range a unit WITHOUT taking damage. (amazing...) they are not intended to be impressive melee fighters. the troll has no ranged attack, and therefore is vunerable to ranged attacks.

there were so many problems with your posts that i can't even remember them all. this post is RUBBISH :roll: :roll: :? (you) :roll: :roll:
Proud creator of 4p- Underworld. Fascinated by Multiplayer design and balance.
I am the lone revenant of the n3t clan.
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Why did you resurrect this? It was dead... Let it lie....
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer

Post by F8 Binds... »

could you tell me where to find if a post is current or not? this has happened twice now... if you don't see, i'm quite new to the forums (plz forgive me)
Tmoiy

Post by Tmoiy »

F8 Binds... wrote:could you tell me where to find if a post is current or not? this has happened twice now... if you don't see, i'm quite new to the forums (plz forgive me)
Threads near the top of the forum are current. Also, you can read the date of the last post both in the forum and in the thread itself. If it's been, say, several weeks, it's probably dead.
F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer

Post by F8 Binds... »

thx.

your help is greatly appreciated. :)
Proud creator of 4p- Underworld. Fascinated by Multiplayer design and balance.
I am the lone revenant of the n3t clan.
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Basically, threads are dead once past the first page, as a general rule. A lot of times they're dead on the first page, but anything on page two and past is officially Dead.

Dead topics can be revived if you have something significant to add to a worthwhile discussion. That was certainly a hefty post, but I wouldn't call this a tremendously worthwhile conversation.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.
Martinus

Post by Martinus »

F8 Binds... wrote: 20% resistance to blade/pierce... still does 80% of the original damage.
I disagree with that it is a drawback. This means that he will soak more damage, and that is really a purpose of that unit. Besides i agree that most of times i would use grunt because of :

1. Damage

2. Speed

3. Defense (The biggest drawback of trolls in my opinion)
Last edited by Martinus on November 29th, 2006, 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gus

Post by Gus »

I guess he assumed (as i did) that you had checked, realized it was wrong, and then edited your post with the parenthesis.
The correct spelling is purpose.
And here is one of many dictionaries available online, the one i use (but not by any means the best out there, just the one i grew used to using): Hyperdictionary
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
Martinus

Post by Martinus »

I guess you replied in a wrong topic :P . Thanks for the dictionary. It will be pretty helpful.
Gus

Post by Gus »

strange, but the forum has been acting weird for a couple of days.
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

No, I did that. I saw the original response as unhelpful and made corrections.

Carry on.