Wesnoth 1.0: Northerners vs Northerners, the basics from me

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Higher Game

Wesnoth 1.0: Northerners vs Northerners, the basics from me

Post by Higher Game »

Goblin Spearman- This guy's only useful for big maps, when the average unit has a lifespan of many turns, since he has 0 upkeep. In masses, they can attack wolf riders and archers, but they simply lack high defense. They're usually not worth making.

Orc Grunt- Mostly useless. He isn't much stronger than a troll, he doesn't regenerate, and his promoted forms aren't as good as the troll's. He can move a little faster, though, so he's better for larger maps. He's also a better village holder than the troll, since he hits back a little harder, and gets regeneration there, so he's good for defense, but playing on defense sucks. :twisted: Just 1 or 2 will work fine, for holding villages once taken, but wolf riders will also work well.

Troll Whelp- The backbone of the army. He can't be intelligent, so he has a 2/3 chance of being fast; these guys usually aren't slow, and the ones that are should be checkpoint holders. They regenerate, rule on hills, and have some nice resistances. You can pull back injured ones and replace them with fresh ones, and the regeneration allows recovery far outside of one's villages. They get faster and stronger if they're trolls, and they get a brutal distance attack if rocklobbers, so going for a promo is key. Despite no intelligence, they level reasonably fast, since they're very hard to kill.

Orc Archer- They're decent for taking out injured trolls, but are too frail for the main battlefield, and they don't regenerate. I usually don't make many of these, just 1 or 2.

Orc Assassin- Again, just 1 or 2 will work. They temporarily stop a troll's regeneration, but don't actually deal out much damage. They don't take damage well, either. Like the archer, they're for attacking injured units, but instead are for keeping them injured, and rarely getting a kill in. They have higher dodging though, so in many situations they're a better choice than the archer.

Naga Fighter- A basic water unit. Not much to say about them.

Wolf Rider- These guys should be a major part of one's force. While trolls represent the main battle force, these guys are the key to taking distant villages, exerting a ZOC where it's needed far away, racing to the front on large maps, taking out injured units by chasing them down, and chewing them up with 3 attacks, since trolls tend to have bad luck, with only 2 attacks.

Overall, NvN is a boring match, since it usually involves lots of trolls duking it out, hoping for a pivotal promotion. If a map has many villages concentrated in many areas, more grunts and archers will be seen guarding them, and more assassins will be used to poison them. If there are fewer villages and more terrain, the troll line is a major strategy, with the odd wolf rider attempting to flank or steal villages. They do get a nice 60% defense in villages, unlike most mobile units; without this, there would be an even greater incentive to make trolls, and it would make this matchup even more boring! Overall, the troll and wolf rider are the most important units for this match.

At least it's not as bad as undead vs undead. <shudder> :lol:

Anyway, leave your own commentary here if you want. This was written for the stable version, so some updated strategies are welcome, since there will be an updated stable version someday. ;)
Last edited by Higher Game on October 24th, 2006, 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JW

Re: Northerners vs Northerners, the basics from me

Post by JW »

Higher Game wrote:This was written for the stable version, so some updated strategies are welcome, since there will be an updated stable version someday. ;)
Better wait for 1.2, which is on the verge of release.

We all know you love 1.0.2.
Higher Game

Post by Higher Game »

Lots of people like 1.0.2, from looking at multiplayer, and my strategies would be very helpful to them, since lots of them are newbies who naturally want to start with a stable release.
5dPZ

Post by 5dPZ »

I think your guide works well if there is a lot of mountains and hills on the map. If the map is mainly forest and plains, troll really sux and die easily to archers.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Good God.

I agree with about 20 percent of this.

:P
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

Higher Game wrote: Orc Grunt- Mostly useless.
I stopped reading after that.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
Sombra

Post by Sombra »

I dont know higher Game why you insist that 1.11 is not stable.

Anyway, regarding your guide:

- Trolls are great on mountains and hills everywhere else they have low

defenses and are easily killed

-grunts are little bit cheaper , have better defense values and most important have more punch to take a position.

- I like assasins exactly because they are fast, can poison units like grunts, wolfs even trolls and have great defense values. 3 attacks make them good finsih off units are soften up units.

- If you have a village stealer around , some goblins to have is not bad . Again the worth to finish a unit is quite valuable. One kill + 2 attacks and many times you already have leveled a unit.
JW

Post by JW »

Soliton wrote:
Higher Game wrote: Orc Grunt- Mostly useless.
I stopped reading after that.
LOL!!!! I had simply skipped to the last line! :twisted:

lol.....wow......

(lol again)
Gus

Post by Gus »

Higher Game, do you have some replays of you playing, so that we can see in action those wonderful strategies you keep posting?
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Topic title fixed.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
unsung

Post by unsung »

You know Someone tried all almost trolls against me once. Here's whatr happened: (castle hopping isle, 70-100% xp, not sure which, age of heroes, propbably 100 or so gold) I ran to the center keep. Red (Rebel) crushed another player(drake) who recruited all gliders and made a battle line with them, resulting in him having several level three elves. Mean while, I had a coupl ecavalry running amok grabbing villages and causing chaos, While I watched trolls charge into the water to attack my spearmen and odd bowman who were in trees and hills to keep them from getting on to the island proper.

The docks each had a heavy infantry on them, and I had one or two mermen as well. He eventually got some archers -they died pretty fast, spearmen eat them alive when they are in water- and a crossbow man-which died when my lancer caught him in the water. (That unit description is a lie- lancers are great at defense- he racked up some kills well, until he died anyways- And had levelled up a bunch of men. When red came for me, I had to flee of course- all of my men were tied up, a few bats got through, and I couldn't stop the elves with my three men on the other side of my little isle.

When I did so I had a rear guard consiting of a shocktrooper, iorn mauler, and I beilieve a swordsman to hold off the elves, and about six spearmen who had been turned into a mix of pikes and swords. I recruited at most twelve or fourteen units not counting my calvalry. It eventually ended with me in a new castle, Either the host had to leave, or I did for some reason.

ANYWAY...... Trolls=bad in large numbers.
Grunts=good in large numbers.
Yeah.
and I feel that you underestimate gobbos- a couple of them can make mounted troops cry.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

[insert Higher Game bash here]

I'm just not feeling creative this morning.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Zhukov wrote:[insert Higher Game bash here]
Bashing isn't nice. You should tune down the bashing a bit.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Anyways, there's already a good bit of Higher Game bashing going on, on this forum and others. You'd think someone would learn not to put his head where it will get bashed.
Higher Game

Post by Higher Game »

Sombra wrote:I dont know higher Game why you insist that 1.11 is not stable.
Even the stable version is buggy. Sometimes the game crashes when I try and check a unit's stats during the opponents turn, while it's still moving. I don't have all the resistances memorized.

As for skeptics, the troll might not deal out as much damage as a grunt, and it might not have as much dodging, but remember that it makes up for it with regeneration and resistance, and almost all of the fighting takes place at forested/hilly checkpoints. Open field fighting is relatively rare. Surrounding a troll and killing it is easier in big areas, but this simply isn't a sitaution often seen in most maps.