Heir to the Throne campaign replay, on hard with no losses

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Xandria

Post by Xandria »

You managed to post a *.zip that requires a password to unpack. Way to go!
The fight against human stupidity is endless, but we must never give it up.
- Jan Werich
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

hochbass wrote:I did the same Noloss in middle and after many tries I gave up in the last scenario "The_Battle_for_Wesnoth"
I had to many low skilled units and could not win.
:shock:

How can you not win The Battle for Wesnoth? It's a breeze compared with some of the earlier scenarios... (or has that changed since I played?)
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Kel

Post by Kel »

I think Battle for Wesnoth is really, really easy if you've been leveling up a good assortment of troops and stuff. On the other hand, if you didn't expect the last scenario to be a huge Battle Royale recalling all of your level 3's you stuck away in storage since the fourth scenario, you might very well not have enough units to recall.

(In that case, though, you could probably still make out alright by recruiting a bunch of Knights -- half of the units you face are mounted or units with weak melee).
hochbass

Post by hochbass »

I do not have any idea why WINRAR has a "Compress with password" as a default when I work direct in the explorer

I mad a new zip for you with some more saves until the Home_of_the_North_Elves.

There had been some very hard "runnings" in the The_Dwarven_Doors
and in the Home_of_the_North_Elves.

I do not have any idea why my WINRAR has a "Compress with password" as a default when I work direct in the explorer

I mad a new zip for you with some more saves until the Home_of_the_North_Elves.

There had been some very hard "runnings" in the The_Dwarven_Doors
and in the Home_of_the_North_Elves.

And a special thanks to all my Mages of Light.

@Elvish Pillager:
I did not say I can not win but i said I couln't win with no losses.

Info:
I play a german translation. I hope it will relocalized to your language.

Edit: Now I hope all archivs are now ok.
I beleave saves in V1.17 are much bigger than in former 1.12
Attachments
HttT_ Scen 13-22_ No Loss _hard.zip
Scenatio 13-> Home_of_the_North_Elves
(475.21 KiB) Downloaded 351 times
HttT_ Scene1-12_ No Loss _hard.zip
Scenario 1-12
(337.76 KiB) Downloaded 422 times
Elvish_Pillager

hochbass wrote:@Elvish Pillager:
I did not say I can not win but i said I couln't win with no losses.
Well obviously if you take losses, it is not a win. That's what I meant in the first place.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
baruk

Post by baruk »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
hochbass wrote:I did the same Noloss in middle and after many tries I gave up in the last scenario "The_Battle_for_Wesnoth"
I had to many low skilled units and could not win.
:shock:

How can you not win The Battle for Wesnoth? It's a breeze compared with some of the earlier scenarios... (or has that changed since I played?)
I found the Battle of Wesnoth to be one of the toughest to complete with no losses. Completing it normally is fairly straightforward.

The puzzling thing for me is that you can reach the scenario without losses, whilst not having enough high-level units to finish it. A well managed no losses game ought to leave you with more high level units than you know what to do with.

What type of tactics do you usually use? It could be that I'm missing an easier way of finishing it. I form a defensive line, using the starting castle as the centre, extending it to the northern edge of the map, and as far as the first village to the south. I let the enemy break on my lines, whilst rotating the injured to safety. Once the enemy is sufficiently weakened, I move forward and finish the objective.

A while back, I worked out how long in real time it took me to complete each level. Its a fairly crude measure of relative difficulty, as I won't have spent an equal amount of time on the game each day. I also estimated the number of attempts I had at each scenario, but this is fairly inaccurate. The final scenario took the longest to finish, I've attached the notepad file in case people are interested.
Attachments
Toughest_Scenarios.txt
Rated in order of time between creation of save files.
(1.66 KiB) Downloaded 351 times
hochbass

Post by hochbass »

Now I try to play "Return to Wesnoth"

I had to try more than 20 attemps to withstand against the first warlord only for four rounds...

Comparing my game to the savegame of Baruk´s V1.12 I can see the increased strengh of the enemy.
When he has only to fight against two Royal Guards I have to fight against 4 of them.
And with L2 Units to Level up this very hard play.
Elvish_Pillager

When I completed HttT after an unsuccessful no-loss run (ToTC is impossible without incredible amounts of save/loading), I took only 2 losses in The Battle for Wesnoth, despite not trying all that hard.

Elvish Sharpshooters, if you've been collecting them, really rock in this scenario. They simply cut Dragoons to pieces. Of course, they're totally vulnerable afterwards, but that is what Dwarvish Lords are for, no? As long as you have enough of those Dwarves (Grand Knights can work too), then there shouldn't be a problem.
toms

Post by toms »

May I suggest Dragonguard who do a lot of ranged pierce damage and are also very resistant? :wink:
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
baruk

Post by baruk »

hochbass wrote: Now I try to play "Return to Wesnoth"

I had to try more than 20 attemps to withstand against the first warlord only for four rounds...

Comparing my game to the savegame of Baruk´s V1.12 I can see the increased strengh of the enemy.
When he has only to fight against two Royal Guards I have to fight against 4 of them.
And with L2 Units to Level up this very hard play.
I'm not aware that the difficulty has changed in that particular scenario. There is actually quite a lot of variance in the units that the AI chooses to recruit. In some attempts I have certainly seen as many as 4 royal guards recruited. It may not entirely be a coincidence that in my first successful attempt I only had to face 2 of them.
The recruitment choice of the green castle seems to affect the difficulty of the scenario quite profoundly, it would always be more problematic when he chose more royal guards and horsemen, than heavy infantry and longbowmen.
Soliton had an elegant solution to this: attack the green castle straight away with grand knights, killing the leader before he can finish recruiting.

Good luck with your attempt, hochbass.
Elvish Pillager wrote:Elvish Sharpshooters, if you've been collecting them, really rock in this scenario
toms wrote:May I suggest Dragonguard who do a lot of ranged pierce damage and are also very resistant?
Checking my final save game, by the end of the battle I had:
1 Sharpshooter
1 Marksmen
2 Avengers
4 Grand knights
1 Paladin
2 Dragonguards
5 Thunderguards
8 Dwarvish Lords
and various others..

I agree about the dragonguard line, there is just something satisying about dropping a full hp dragoon in one shot (whilst not worryong that you will be toast in case you miss). In contrast, my 47 hp sharpshooter had to be treated almost like a mage. He was, however, very useful for winkling out units on castle terrain.
hochbass

Post by hochbass »

Now I have finished.

I won the Battle of Wesnoth in round 15/60 with nearly 2-3 reload per turn.
I had not been so dificult because I had nearly all my units at Level 3
Blocking and retreat of wundet units is mor importent than slay down the enemy and get slauterd in return.

You have not much time to recruit so you must hurry and have the right recruitments at the right time

This is my army:
4 Heros and a bonus of 2 Grand Knight from the Lords of the clans
1. turn: 3x Grand Knight , 3x Light mage
2. turn: 1x Mairmaid priestes, 2x Skyade, 2x Elf Champion, 1 Arch mage - this are all my healer
3. turn: 3 Dragonguards, 3 Dwarvish Lords
After turn 3 the battle begins and to guard your castle you only can recruit 3 units from now
4. turn: 2x Sharpshooter and my lovely Merman Hoplite ( You ever seen one? It´s very difficult to level up)
5. turn: 1x Sharpshooter, 1x Elf Champion
6. turn: 2x Assasin and my Elfish Outrider
== 32 Units all at L3 ==

I think the key role play the Mages of Light. They increase the strenght of my front line in the upcoming night and so i can hold with small damage.

Im very happy to solve this.

In resume I think the most hardest Scenario is "Valley of the Dead" because you do not have such powerfull units.

Have fun with the replays. I think someone can learn a little bit from it.
Attachments
Scenario 22-24.zip
Return_to_Wesnoth_no_losses_replay
Test_of_the_Clan_no_losses_replay
The_Battle_for_Wesnoth_no_losses_replay
(160.43 KiB) Downloaded 358 times
Kel

Post by Kel »

Last time through Battle for Wesnoth I lost only one Elvish Hero.

Basically, I recalled about 8 GK's, backed them up with Illuminate and a few hatchet tosses, and killed 5-6 enemy units per round regardless of time of day. Grand Knights are death against all the mounted units/assassins on that map.
Sly

Post by Sly »

hochbass wrote:In resume I think the most hardest Scenario is "Valley of the Dead" because you do not have such powerfull units.
Yet it's possible to kill the 3 enemy leaders without loss (with Silver Mages and knowing very well what they'll recruit)
hochbass

Post by hochbass »

I never ever had a silver mage...
I love long heavy struggles do get experiance...
I don´t need fast victories...

TotC: I allways killed two of the clan leaders an get two additional GK.
Do I allways get two oft them, ore more, when I kill more leaders?
Sly

Post by Sly »

hochbass wrote:TotC: I allways killed two of the clan leaders an get two additional GK.
Do I allways get two oft them, ore more, when I kill more leaders?
You get 1 GK per Leader killed in TotC :wink: