HTTT: what should I level up my loyal mage to?

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

I always go red, then arch, with elrian: it saves you a lot of money. Making him White is okay, but shades are quicker, and easier to level. Making him silver isn't as useful as it is for a quick mage. Red mages deal enough damage to undead as it is (plus suffer no penalties against adepts and their still living upgrade, where White mages do) They are also neutral, which is really useful.

For other mages, besides Elrian:
*if quick/resilient I go silver-speed and the + in HP (negating the quick Hp loss) does well
*if quick/intelligent, I go white--not as often in the front line, and gets to the powerful lvl3 quicker
*if quick/strong, it depends on what else I have--this combo helps all equally.
*if resilient/intelligent, I go White/Red depending on need, but then go arch, as the intelligence really helps
*if resilient/strong, White/Red depending on need, always arch
*If intelligent/strong, I go Arch, but thats just preference
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Sly

Post by Sly »

Thrawn wrote:I always go red, then arch, with elrian: it saves you a lot of money. Making him White is okay, but shades are quicker, and easier to level. Making him silver isn't as useful as it is for a quick mage. Red mages deal enough damage to undead as it is (plus suffer no penalties against adepts and their still living upgrade, where White mages do) They are also neutral, which is really useful.

For other mages, besides Elrian:
*if quick/resilient I go silver-speed and the + in HP (negating the quick Hp loss) does well
*if quick/intelligent, I go white--not as often in the front line, and gets to the powerful lvl3 quicker
*if quick/strong, it depends on what else I have--this combo helps all equally.
*if resilient/intelligent, I go White/Red depending on need, but then go arch, as the intelligence really helps
*if resilient/strong, White/Red depending on need, always arch
*If intelligent/strong, I go Arch, but thats just preference
That's funny, about the choice Arch vs Silver, I prefer going Silver with non-quick mages and Arch with quick ones : I like the 6 movement because a archmage/grand mage with 5 movement is no use in caves and often distanced by my ther units.
And I like Silver mages with HP because I use them to lure some enemy troops around him when he's on a village (easy escape :wink: )
Kel

Post by Kel »

Yeah, I like Silver Mages because they're much more friendly to your other units that need XP and you can pull out the Silver Mage Assassination Team for a quick win if you need the gold. And sometimes you just need a unit with good magical resistances (Sewers of Southbay comes to mind.)

Frankly I'd never even considered getting a Great Mage, although I guess it'd be fun to advance Elrian to one. What're they, 220 XP for an extra 16 potential damage? You can practically get another Arch Mage for that XP price.
jg

Post by jg »

I nearly never take the Silver one, just out of the reason that it is only really useful in Undead Scenarios (of course otherwise too, but not so much), and because the red Arch Mage can level up while the Silver can't.

jg
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Kel wrote:You can practically get another Arch Mage for that XP price.
True, but it's much harder. The Arch Mage will get that XP in the course of everyday roasting of key enemy units.

I have a game of TRoW in which I got 3 Great Mages by Clearwater Port.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Kel

Post by Kel »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

That's gotta be on hard mode, right? I guess since I mostly play medium, distributing XP conservatively is more important. I'm sure having a 16-4 heavy hitter helps a lot on more difficult settings.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Actually, it's on Medium, and actually, I was wrong - I only had two actual Great Mages, but one Arch Mage 10 XP from advancing (plus two other Arch Mages.)

And both the Great Mages are Loyal, Intelligent. Wow, that must have been a long time ago. :o
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.