How to play Undead

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Huh, looking over this...

Against Drakes I think Skeleton Archers are actually more important than Adepts. Drakes can beat up adepts in melee or use saurians, while they have no real way to counter Skeleton Archers...

Pros:
- a bit cheaper
- 40% vs blade, 60% vs pierce, 60% vs cold
- greater chance to hit at least once

Cons:
- no traits (thus a bit slower on average)
- -20% vs fire
- somewhat less damage

The major differences - although Adepts do more damage, skeleton archers resist Saurians by a load and can't be taken easily in melee (since Drakes have Blade melee at best).
Last edited by Elvish_Pillager on December 24th, 2006, 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Higher Game

Post by Higher Game »

Since they have a decent impact attack, drake gliders are actually good against skeleton archers. They aren't so great at anything else, besides scouting, and killing near dead units, so it's definitely weird that they actually have combat roles against the undead. Burners do fine against them at day, while a burner should never try to use range on adepts.

The thing is, while skeleton archers are useful as main battle forces, the adept is for doing heavy damage in little time, which is important for breaking through defensive positions.
Elvish_Pillager

Whoops, I seem to have miscalculated the damage. I've now edited my post.

Burners are fine attacking adepts - in melee. They do a good deal of damage that way, while Adepts can never attack them without some retaliation.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Pillager-

Skell archers more important than adepts? Dead wrong, sonny.

Yes, they're great, yes they're useful, but JW is right on when he says that adepts should be the meat of the army.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Elvish_Pillager

I don't understand making the meat of an army out of relatively costly, low HP defenseless mages. :?
appleide

Post by appleide »

IMO, the skeleton archer is the best unit in the faction. Why pay an extra gold to lose your ranged just for an extra damage and 4 hp? Skeleton archers are also the best unit to recruit against undead because of the high resistance and the impact damage and its rangeness.

Against Drakes Skeleton archers are much more durable than Adepts (except against burners), while adepts are durable only against burners, but gets chewed by every other unit. Yes, the adept can deal more damage, but the skeleton archer is cheaper and can hold defensive positions better. I think 40% skel archers, 40% adepts and 20% everything else would be right against Drakes.
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

I think you people are failing to appreciate the sheer amount of damage that adepts deal to drakes.

When up against drakes I have found that doing serious damage is not enough. They just fly away to villages and wait for daytime. You need to kill them. This is where adepts have the edge over archers. Whump them with adepts then finish them with archers or ghosts.

So, as EP points out, archers are by no means useless. They also make nice daytime defenders, resisting drake melee and have decent retaliation against drake ranged.

:? Bah, I'm basically repeating what others have said.
troodon

Post by troodon »

You're supposed to use Skeletons and Skeleton Archers to protect the Dark Adepts and fill in the spots previously occupied by the enemies before they were killed by the DAs, and Dark Adepts to break into a line quickly, right? (obviously the skeletons are used for more than that, but for the purposes of fighting with dark adepts...)
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

appleide wrote:IMO, the skeleton archer is the best unit in the faction. Why pay an extra gold to lose your ranged just for an extra damage and 4 hp? Skeleton archers are also the best unit to recruit against undead because of the high resistance and the impact damage and its rangeness.

Against Drakes Skeleton archers are much more durable than Adepts (except against burners), while adepts are durable only against burners, but gets chewed by every other unit. Yes, the adept can deal more damage, but the skeleton archer is cheaper and can hold defensive positions better. I think 40% skel archers, 40% adepts and 20% everything else would be right against Drakes.
I'm perfectly happy to have people recruiting less adepts. Makes things a lot easier for me. :)

The most dead-on thing I've read in here thus far was from Zhukov. Let me repeat, in case it was overlooked: If you do not kill a drake, finish it then and there, it will escape and destroy you later on.

There is no real comparison between a unit that does a Drake Clasher 7-3 at night, and one that does it 19-2 MAGICAL. An adept and an archer will finish most Drakes about half the time. Three archers will not, by the odds, kill a Clasher on a village. Two adepts will reliably finish any Drake, in any location.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
JW

Post by JW »

If you don't believe me, please believe the Doc. (and Zhukov)
Xandria

Post by Xandria »

The adepts are so deadly in fact that they rip even through lvl 2 drakes with ease. Excellent for leader kills where few tiles near the leader are open.

Just recently, a Drake, sure of his eventual victory, left his Fire Drake leader near an adept. Happy 38 damage from the adept later, Mr. Spooky (a ghost) flew in to eat the very surprised drake.

Also mind that ghosts, having a cold melee attack, not only deal more damage to drakes, but also leech more. You can expect a decent amount of leeching due to low drake defenses, plus ghosts are swifter than any burner.
The fight against human stupidity is endless, but we must never give it up.
- Jan Werich
F8 Binds...
Saurian Cartographer

Post by F8 Binds... »

Well, in adept vs archer, as in which is better vs drakes, adept wins. Although the archer has better resistances, the adept in ONE hit can do almost as much as all the archer's hits combined. Although drakes are weak vs pierce, it's nothing like their resistance to cold. (-10% vs -50%) A good balance is required here, or risk being run over by clashers or burners. Such a recruit would consist of 2 archers, 2 adepts, and a skeleton + ghost.
Proud creator of 4p- Underworld. Fascinated by Multiplayer design and balance.
I am the lone revenant of the n3t clan.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Elvish Pillager wrote:I don't understand making the meat of an army out of relatively costly, low HP defenseless mages. :?
EP, adepts have decent hp, compared to other mage units. If they are the meat, just make sure you have a strong enough exoskeleton, and they'll be fine.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
muxec

Post by muxec »

What about something like this for "Age Of Heroes" era?
Linux Penguin is coming to your computer. The Source is with him.
George Mason

Post by George Mason »

muxec wrote:What about something like this for "Age Of Heroes" era?
Wow, that sounds like an awful lot of work.

Thanks for volunteering for the job!!
I flew a nuclear bomb into a chasm to save all you punks, and this is the thanks I get?