How to play Knalgans

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sombra

Re: How to play Knalgans

Post by Sombra »

Wesnothian footpads have their uses in this matchup but you should depend to much of them.

Besides its well know that "Footpads" easily fall under the charm of elven maiden ...making them unreliable while he looks for jewels and flowers as gifts. Better have a smelly dwarf who kills the maiden and drinks a beer.
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

Just remember that even with gryphons it might take 2 turns from keep to keep. If you're already winning but need reinforcements to be safe, it's better to withdraw, regroup and reengage. Better that than keep on engaging, by which time when the footpad arrives the ToD has already reversed as well, or something unexpected happens to your (inevitably) wounded troops. It's always best to try to ensure that state of superiority.

If it's too obvious that you're winning with no chance of losing, then there's no need to recruit any units. (Based on common sense :P )
Take a breath.
Wesnothian

Post by Wesnothian »

I know that Footpads aren't better then the other Outlaws if your going against Elves,
but I'm just trying to bust out some advantages and situations where your Footpad would be better,
so it won't have a very bad name
but there are far more situations which you would take the Poacher or Thief (If your fighting Rebels).
And then, Dave said "Let there be light." And there was light.
csarmi

Post by csarmi »

If you want to reinforce your lines, thieves are often very useful because of their backstabbing. If someone wants to ZoC you so you can't retreat and kill you on ToD change, thieves come in really handy, because he gets natural backstabs on the units placed to cut his forces into two.
Wesnothian

Post by Wesnothian »

csarmi wrote:If you want to reinforce your lines, thieves are often very useful because of their backstabbing. If someone wants to ZoC you so you can't retreat and kill you on ToD change, thieves come in really handy, because he gets natural backstabs on the units placed to cut his forces into two.
As I've said before, I'm mentioning a situation where you would need the fastest mobile unit available, which is not the thief but the footpad. And yes 1 number higher or lower can make a difference.
And then, Dave said "Let there be light." And there was light.
F50

Post by F50 »

If I need high movement, I get footpads, even if I'm playing blitz. The possible exception is drakes (can't see water without gryphon).
Sparta

Post by Sparta »

I hardly recruit Thunderers, but advice from another player said I should recruit more Thunderers,
so I did, but I somehow don't know how to use them effectively, while I know how to use all other units effectively..
Any tips for Thunderers? And exactly how many I should?

Also, JW said that the Dwarvish Fighters are your bulk of your army, but almost every match
I watch, I hardly see any side recruiting alot of Fighters.. Infact, I see them overrecruiting Thunderers (IMO),
and those players are pro's and experienced players, so what's with this? How many Fighters do you need for
one front? (you've got more then 1 front in most maps).
Trau

Post by Trau »

Thunderers are good for shooting people... in the face.

They've got an advantage over poachers in the day time, they're better at hills and mountains, and have better resistances. Also, an 18-1 attack makes for a great deterrant against enemies attacking low health thunderers because they might after all eat a whole round's worth of damage even if they make the kill.

For fighters... personally, I've never found them so extremely useful, except against the undead, since they're good at clubbing people.
KShrike

Post by KShrike »

(sorry for bump of a very outdated thread, but I found it useful)
I especially love how the ulfseeker laughs before attacking a dark adept.
I actually don't like cavalry... isn't that ironic.