Test Of The Clan

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

kiet

Test Of The Clan

Post by kiet »

Well,I´m stuck at a scenario named test of the clan.Since those irritating lancer keep taking out my level 3 troops and worst of all they are capeble of taking out Great Mages as easily which I´ve being fighting to advance.And everytime I try to defend myself by making a line.They retreat.So it is me who is stupid or the AI to good.

PS:My game version is 1.1.1 and I play at Normal.
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

Seconded.

Would anyone like to offer some strategy hints?

At the moment my view of this scenario is that it is impossible to protect all your 'key' (that is, game over, thanks for playing) units from a charging lancer all the time. They move faster than you, there is no significant defensive terrain, and none of your guys have 96 hit points (one charging lancer in daylight does 32 points per strike, that's a 22 per cent chance of 96 damage if you are in the open - which, you invariably are in this scenario). The net result is that this is a scenario where instant loss is a constant possibility - randomness is one thing, uncontrollable randomness is another entirely.

Only potential solution I've thought of - start the scenario with more gold than I actually have and spend on lance fodder profligately. Oh dear, yet another gotcha.
MawhrinSkel

Post by MawhrinSkel »

I cheated ;) (v1.0.2, normal) Wouldn't a couple of free halbardiers be handy? :)

AFAICS it's necessary simply to have large numbers of horseman type units, maybe with some elvish scout type units to pick off weak enemies without risk of retaliation. Use Paladins to heal them. I didn't really have enough cash...

It is possible to camp out at the top of the map to the north of the lake, but then you are too far from a leader.

I found dwarvish thunderer type units to be useful to guard the key units. There's a handy range of hills just to the south west of the starting castle. Backed by a level three leader (of whom you should have at least two) they can take out many enemy units instantly, and they can recieve a ton of damage. Take a couple of healers too.

A few Mermen recalled/recruited on the first turn can get to the lake before the enemy arrives, and can get a few kills as well as delay the enemy. The AI is amusingly willing to wade into shallow water to charge a merman, who retaliates with a pierce attack. Injured mermen can be removed to deep water to keep them safe.

Once you have nearly 25 enemies killed off move towards the leader at the south east and kill him as soon as 25 enemies are down.
Mangudai

Test of the Clan

Post by Mangudai »

I found the best way to beat this scenario was to use a silver mage delta force, described in another thread. Using that strategy I killed all four enemy leaders. However the problem of covering ground and capturing villages remains the same.

I reccomend recruiting lvl 1 troops and leaving most of your recall list alone. Griffin Riders are probably better than elvish scouts and horsemen. The scouts are fastest, but can be killed in one charge. Griffins are not extra-sensitive to pierce damage so they survive at least one charge and deal big damage in return. Griffins have 50% defense on almost all terrains which is better than 40% for horse on grassland. You can also trick the AI into coming into shallow water or sand. Nevertheless you will take lots of casualties, and the clans will probably replenish their losses faster than you. I reached a balance of over twenty villages, and income sufficient to recruit one unit per turn on average.

I haven't used many Dwarvish thunderers, although that is a very good suggestion. In version 1.1.1 you have the option to recruit Dwarvish guardsmen which are excellent vs lancer types, but slow. I don't see the point in getting lots of infantry. The green clan to the south will fall to a rush attack. Your main characters have sufficient strength to take him out. Move Konrad to green's castle and you have a much safer base.

The AI doesn't seem to know what to do with the blue and light blue clans. Most of their armies will walk back and forth around the south side of the lake and not do much until almost the end of the battle. Blue will fight vigourously for the north side of the lake, and will try to occupy the villages in the north east corner. I let blue have that territory. You could make a stand with your main force on the north of the lake, as Marwhin said. However, half measures typically don't work.
pqueiro

Post by pqueiro »

Commonly used strategies apparentely revolve around elvish archers (pierce attacks) and dwarves (resistant to charges, can make a stand in the hills).

I'm actually working through this level right now. I'm not too rich, but I really don't feel like going back a few scenarios to correct that, so I'm still working on a strategy...
Had I been present at the Creation I would've given some hints as to the better ordering of the Universe...
La_vie_en_Wose
Translator

Post by La_vie_en_Wose »

It took me a while ( 3 or 4 times and even more ) to find a path through this episode.
I've recruited first a whole bunch of mermen and sent them straight to the northern lake. As starting the 2 nd turn, I got 6 Gryphons whose mission was to get as much villages as possible before retreating with the merman to the lake ( so that they can rest here when hurted ).
Then I've recruited Thunder Dwarves who kept positions in as much villages as possible.
Then with Konrad and his three friends, we killed the southern king. After a few turn of recruitement, I send the 4 heroes through the south mountain chain, close to the southwest king. I 've waited there until the 25th ennemy unit died and as Delfador proposes to continue the fight, I brought the southwestern king down the next turn.
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

Well starting out with about 200 gold I don't feel that I have a rat's fart's chance of blowing this one away. Just not enough lance fodder. I can stretch it out through save-file abuse but that's hardly right.

Meh. I'll probably work it out eventually - silly me has been killing the Green Lord off and using his castle rather than waiting to kill him off and complete the scenario.

The changes in 1.1.1 sound like a step in the right direction - dwarfish guardsmen, a unit that can actually defend against charging lancers. Even Sceptre of Fire held more 'fun' for me than this scenario at the moment.
kiet

Post by kiet »

Skippy wrote:Seconded.

Would anyone like to offer some strategy hints?

At the moment my view of this scenario is that it is impossible to protect all your 'key' (that is, game over, thanks for playing) units from a charging lancer all the time. They move faster than you, there is no significant defensive terrain, and none of your guys have 96 hit points (one charging lancer in daylight does 32 points per strike, that's a 22 per cent chance of 96 damage if you are in the open - which, you invariably are in this scenario). The net result is that this is a scenario where instant loss is a constant possibility - randomness is one thing, uncontrollable randomness is another entirely.

Only potential solution I've thought of - start the scenario with more gold than I actually have and spend on lance fodder profligately. Oh dear, yet another gotcha.
Well,in an attempt to kill all the leaders.I manage to kill 3 and had of course one more to kill(blue).But it tur out to be very unlucky since his small army of Bowmen and Knight was lure away by my Outriders(6 of them)
They suddently turned direction when my other army was closing his keep.And well,his Knights and Bowmen manage to kill some of my best men.Plus,two of the Knights broke my ranks and charged on Delfador.Which is impossible to defend.Well,I lost again! :(
I maybe shouldn´t have brought with me the heroes but without them the army wouldn´t stand a chance.
Danielg42

Post by Danielg42 »

I've been having a similar problem, almost had it beat once with the three heros up north on the village between the edge of the lake and the edge of the map. Then using a bunch of theives and healers everywhere else.
But then I got too impatient and tried to run Konrad to the castle straight south and he was killed on the way. :oops:
Theives have 15-3 hits at night with backstab healers have the critical slow ability. I think that I'll be able to win, if I don't try anything funny with Konrad. :D
Oh, and I didn't recall any high lvl units because of the risk of losing them to the lancers.
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

Danielg42 wrote:Oh, and I didn't recall any high lvl units because of the risk of losing them to the lancers.
That's what autosave is for isn't it? :P
scott

Post by scott »

Is everyone playing this on 1.1.1? Are the new objectives making it easier and less confusing?
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
drachefly

Post by drachefly »

I don't know if you'll have had the degree of opposition necessary to pull this off in normal mode (for xp in previous levels and for number of units in this level), but my strategy here (on difficult NON-1.1.x) was as follows:

recall:
about six dwarf lords/steelclads
a couple marksmen
1 shyde (a druid would do; a sorceress would actually be better in some respects)
1 white mage
1 silver mage (one per skirmish party is about as much as is useful)
horsemen-line units, including at least 1 lancer.

There are three prongs to this strategy.
1) Head your main force south and kill the army of the guy in the south. Do NOT kill the main guy. If you slow him he won't attack. Avoid taking his villages. You can take one if you need it to heal, but really, cash is more useful in his hands than yours.
He will keep recruiting single units as he pulls in the cash. Go ahead and kill them.
2) send lancers and silver mages out to skirmish and rack up kills on exposed units. lancer grabs village, distracts enemy. They attack lancer. Lancer steps off the village, out pops the silver mage and turns the tables. These guys may die here, but they aren't all that useful in the only remaining level anyway, so that's okay.
3) Meanwhile, get the dwarves into a defensive formation on the hills just NW of his base.

When the main forces from the other teams show up, they'll attack the dwarves and not get very far (good defense, resistances). You should be close enough to 25 kills that you can get over the limit at the cost of screwing up your defensive line. Then drop the hammer on the leader you've been farming.

Don't worry about being deeply in the red on money -- if you finish quick, you are going to have so much cash you won't be able to spend it all by the time you've won in the next (and last) scenario.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it. -- You-know-who
The Kingdom Of Loathing Era
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

scott wrote:Is everyone playing this on 1.1.1? Are the new objectives making it easier and less confusing?
I'm playing on 1.0.2. The comments about broken campaigns in 1.1.1 have dissuaded me from 'upgrading'. (That and replaying Sceptre of Fire - are savefiles compatible?)

I take it that this scenario has been renovated recently?
scott

Post by scott »

Skippy wrote:
scott wrote:Is everyone playing this on 1.1.1? Are the new objectives making it easier and less confusing?
I'm playing on 1.0.2. The comments about broken campaigns in 1.1.1 have dissuaded me from 'upgrading'. (That and replaying Sceptre of Fire - are savefiles compatible?)

I take it that this scenario has been renovated recently?
Yes. There's a good chance that the save would be completely broken. As a general rule, mainline campaigns should not be broken in any release (except custom-unit AMLA is broken in 1.1.1) :oops: .
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Mycroft

Post by Mycroft »

scott, i had a bug not getting Griffons after killing the Griffon leader, and did not see much a point in continuing and doing northern winter without (1.1.1)
i'll try to reproduce it when i find the time - though currently busy testing the environment for our new MMNet campaign server