Test Of The Clan

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

scott

Post by scott »

Mycroft wrote:scott, i had a bug not getting Griffons after killing the Griffon leader, and did not see much a point in continuing and doing northern winter without (1.1.1)
i'll try to reproduce it when i find the time - though currently busy testing the environment for our new MMNet campaign server
You don't get gryphons anymore after getting the eggs. You have to wait for them to hatch.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
kiet

Post by kiet »

Danielg42 wrote:I've been having a similar problem, almost had it beat once with the three heros up north on the village between the edge of the lake and the edge of the map. Then using a bunch of theives and healers everywhere else.
But then I got too impatient and tried to run Konrad to the castle straight south and he was killed on the way. :oops:
Theives have 15-3 hits at night with backstab healers have the critical slow ability. I think that I'll be able to win, if I don't try anything funny with Konrad. :D
Oh, and I didn't recall any high lvl units because of the risk of losing them to the lancers.
Delfador,Kalenz and Li´sar are the easiest to kill in my group at least what I see.I have a Konrad level 3(lord) so he isn´t so easy to kill plus he have the flamming sword and the Scepter Of Fire.But differently from you.I recruited my best fighters and send them all into battle.But I finally found a strategy to kill all the leaders without their units interrupting the work.I putted all my troops in a big group and moved them slowly against the enemies.With Delfador,Li´sar and some mages in the middle.Konrad and Kalenz was walking out of the group.In that way,the lancers and knights will rarely go to attack since the AI know that if he rush in the group trying to charge a unit.He will be taken down.So the knight and lancers just walked by the group with a good distance.And on that way I could kill all the leaders.Everytime I kill a leader,I use Delfador to soften him up first and then I send in my Great Mage.If still not enough,I send in my other mages.The troops around the leader got chased away by the marching army so I didn´t have to deal with them :lol:
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

If you give lis'ar the scepter, that will make her better, as Konrad has the sword.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
kiet

Post by kiet »

I know,but in the caves I had the problem with the orcs chasing me and assigned her to lead them away while Konrad take the Scepter.And I also though if I let her take the Scepter,it will change the storyline.
Danielg42

Post by Danielg42 »

I'll need to try that kiet. 8)
Rrbhaunoch

Post by Rrbhaunoch »

I'm now stuck on this level. I think my main problem is that I start with 204 gold, and have no gryphons left to recall. I've gotten to 25 kills using 3 different techniques, but I can't ever get to a leader at the end to kill him.

My thinking is that I should go back to the cockatrice level and get more money, but I had only one gryphon master when I started that battle, and very little money to start with (not to mention this is my least favorite battle I've fought in HotT).

I have 3 dwarvish lords, 1 dwarvish lvl 3 thunderguard, 2 lvl 2 dwarvish fighters, 2 silver mages, 2 shydes, 2 elvish marshals, 1 elvish champion, 1 elvish marksman, 3 elvish rangers, 3 knights, 1 grand knight, 1 paladin, lvl 3 red mage, lvl 2 red mage, 2 elvish sorceresses, lvl 2 poacher, lvl 2 thief, 2 white mages, 2 druids...maybe a few more that I can't remember. I don't see any reason with that list of leveled units I shouldn't be able to bust a path with 10 recalled units + the 4 storyline characters, but I always lose several units, and when I go to attack a leader one of the storyline characters is left vulnerable, and inevitably dies to the half dozen chargers in the way.

I normally don't recall max level units ever, but I even lost twice using my best 10 units. And probably fought this battle 7 or 8 times already overall.

I've started Eastern Invasion now to take a break, but I really want to find a strategy that'll work for my low cash starting point...so that I can get on to the last battles.
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

Test of the Clans... What an annoying scenario. It is A LOT harder than the scenario after this one. I lost almost all my leveled units in this scenario when I was playing hard, and imo THIS is NOT fun. There should be at least some forest to hide in.
rowenstin

Post by rowenstin »

Thieves. Seriously.

I played the scenario with an older version but this is what I did:

After charging headlong with my best knights, I started to lose too many of them. I had good healers, but with a 40% defense, was too easy to lose them to charges and archers in one round. So I concluded that I needed expendable troops to screen my killing units: missile troops (I used elven archers and thunderers, since I was somewhat short on mages)

Thieves are perfect for this. They have reasonable defense in open ground, they are dirt cheap, and the AI attacks them in preference for other targets. Recruit several of them, keep all but three spaced 2 hexes away and your missile troops and characters behind that flimsy screen. Enemy knights will charge them; if they are lucky they'll survive, if not it's the same: move the mages, thunderers, archers and that sceptre in position and fry the knights. Mount the screen again and wait the next round of charges.

Of course, you can't move far away from your keep, but also you don't have to. Use non-leveled scouts and griffons to capture villages; specially keep one griffon over the small lake. As it's known, the AI tends to overreact when enemy units approach their keep and send too many units pursuing your scouts; also, it has capturing villages as a priority. Keep them changing hands, run in circles with your scouts and griffons and delay those units.

As soon you have the 25 kills, move south, put a lone thief in charging range of the leader clan and when he takes the bait get him full of holes.
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

Hm... Nice strategy. I'll give it a try.
Sly

Post by Sly »

Best strategy IMHO : Dwarven Guards (very resilient to knights and deal piercing in return) and thunderers or archers
podunk

Post by podunk »

204 gold is going to be almost impossible IMO. It may be my skill level but the only 2 times I tried this with 500 plus were sort of chancy and required several start overs.

You might want top replay the SoF level and try to finish faster to come out with a big bonus. Don't recruit anyone for Home of the Northern Elves, send your fastest unit south to get those villages and you'll reach the ToC with lots of money.

I always try to conserve my gold on this level even if I have a lot because the next level requires a fair amount of packet change.

Spears, tridents and thunder sticks are a fast quick cheap solution. First recall one mermaid priestess, 1 Triton, the rest merman fighters (cheap!) and send to the top end of the lake.

Then it's dwarfs and two healers and a quick march to the little set of hills to the south west. Sentinels and stalwarts do very well when on a hill, the spears do double damage to horsemen on a charge. Even on flat ground they'll often survive attacks from 2 horsemen or one knight/lancer. Dwarfish Lords on the hills survive almost anything, protect your wimps like healers with them.

This and the last level are the only 2 levels where I find thunders useful, I try to level some up in the caves just for this. Guardsmen with spears wound and rotate out to heal, thunder sticks to finish off. The level 1 archers hate thunders and will attack them instead of your guardsmen, one hit from a thunder stick and they're gone.

The longest it's ever taken for 25 units to suicide on my lines is turn 30 which is a big bonus for the last 2 levels.
Rrbhaunoch

Post by Rrbhaunoch »

I finally beat this level with my 204 gold, losing only a few ranked units. I used thieves and dwarves in the mountains to the sw and a thief and a few archers to go s to kill off the captain with the Princess and worthless elven leader guy. I lucked out in one spot, but other than that I managed barely (had to move all of my units out in to the open to kill off the last 2 of the 25units, then finished the south leader off with only the ability to miss 2 more hits)

The last level just isn't drawn out enough imo, but was fun nonetheless.