How I play

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

bil

How I play

Post by bil »

I'm using Ageless Era and the Random Campaign, with the passive XP addon set to 1 per turn. With all the gold set to minimum, I think it's 50? And -2 income. What this does is allow me to recruit what basically is a fellowship type party. I get around 5 units each scenario. It feels like Baldur's gate.
I also use the Random Recruits addon, and I've created a Union Faction with all my favorite units, so I never know exactly who I'm going to get. The campaign lasts 7 scenarios, and I'm considering the addon that lets you use characters from previous campaigns, but I'm not sure how that will work for balance.
How do you play?
MasterCookieShadow

Re: How I play

Post by MasterCookieShadow »

I used to create custom matches with a bunch of orcs and stuff, pick Knalgan Alliance, and then fill the map with gryphons trainers. Nowadays I'm trying to learn the real essence of the game with campaigns. And it's not easy, most of the scenarios I've played so far would need some background knowledge to do the right action.
"if I had a nickel for every time I spawn a dragon in the final boss, I'd have two nickels - which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice."

"Plz dont do it"
shevegen

Re: How I play

Post by shevegen »

Passive XP may be interesting. I think if I were to design a campaign, I'd use different village types though, so
e. g. a village with a library, if a unit is on it at the beginning of a turn, it would get +1XP for learning from
books. (OK ok goblins learning from books is not that epic but we can say that rather than a library it may
have an arena, so the goblins could train there, and learn a little bit).

As for general playing style: I stick with "vanilla" aka whatever the author decided. I much prefer unique abilities
though if they are not too overpowered. It's a lot of fun! Some abilities make the heroes really great. Like that
one campaign where one dwarf had a bear as mount suddenly - that was fun.

As for fighting: I try to keep my units placed so that the backrow is usually safe, with healers, and some
off units prevent attackers from going on (you have to be careful about skirmishers though).

I found that the default AI in wesnoth is a bit too easy to exploit. Hopefully it'll be improved in the future
but with the current way, I can sort of "predict" what the AI will do, so playing becomes fairly easy. Some
units are also better than others; some time ago I learned that 70% defence "trick" where you use units
that have good defences. I also love steadfast units, in particular the dwarf steadfast. They are my super
tanks!