Pilauli's Art

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Pilauli

Pilauli's Art

Post by Pilauli »

Hi everyone! I've been playing Wesnoth (mostly campaigns) off and on for quite a while and have a bunch of unit ideas, so I will probably post here at irregular intervals with attempts to make some of them. I tend to flit among interests, so I'm unlikely to post new stuff very often, but I do come back to Wesnoth on a semi-regular basis.

I'm reluctant to post things that will never be finished, so most things will probably only see the light of day when I think they are mostly good enough and am pretty much tired of working on them. I don't mind suggestions and critique, but my posting habits are probably going to make it hard (therefore unlikely to happen) for me to actually change underlying stuff (e.g. "that animation needs more exaggerated movement") in response to critique.

First unit:
I made a level 1 for the Wose Shaman.
Baseframe, attack, baseframe, defend, repeat.
Baseframe, attack, baseframe, defend, repeat.
young-shaman.gif (6.36 KiB) Viewed 2503 times
I copied the hands, face, and roots from the regular wose, copied the branches with the teamcolored rags from the regular (level 2) Wose Shaman, and then drew the rest freehand based on the level 2 Wose Shaman. I heavily referenced the thread where thespaceinvader's created the Wose Shaman.

I asked for name suggestions, having been calling it a "Young Wose Shaman" or various placeholder/descriptive names ("unit-that-advances-to-wose-shaman", etc.) I ended up going with Edwylm's suggestion of "Wose Listener". I'm not super attached to any particular name, though: I just wanted a level 1 counterpart for the Shaman.

The latest version of the Wose Listener is farther on in this thread, here. I included a zip file with the separate frames and the unit file; if anyone wants to use it, go ahead.

Note: this post has been edited and will probably continue to be edited. I'm going to try to use this first post as a general overview and update it with any further stuff I make when I remember.
Last edited by Pilauli on November 11th, 2020, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IceTyp

Re: Pilauli's Art

Post by IceTyp »

I have some name suggestions.
What about Wose Seer or Wose Diviner?
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

Its decent however i would suggest filling in empty space between the arm and the back with dark brown/green to give a appearance of canopy shade. Also try adding a little more foliage to the left side feels a little bare to me.

As of suggestions for names; Wose caregiver, custodian, listener.
currently there is not much information describing wose shamans to give hints about what they do in the forest. I figure they are wose that takes care of the forest tending to its needs compared to the normal wose which act more like wardens/protectors of the forests. However names and descriptions should atleast correlate. If you know the description it might help in naming the unit.
Pilauli

Post by Pilauli »

You're right, filling in the empty space could make it look a lot greener without having to draw too much.

All I really have is that it's like a wose shaman, but smaller. Literally the only description I'm working from is the wose shaman description that just says this:
These woses are able to command forest plants such as vines and creepers to hinder their enemies.
They also look kind of like willows, so I think they should be slightly better in swamp and shallow water than regular woses are.

Names are hard: ideally, the perfect name will indicate the powers they have (magically animate plants), not imply powers they don't have (detecting hidden or far-away stuff), it'll sound snappy, and it'll sound wise but not quite as wise as "shaman".

Maybe I should see whether the writing subforum has anything about wose shamans.

---

Update: Writing subforum has fuzzy concepts of nature's wrath and woses controlling plant life. Woses may or may not actually be trees possessed by faerie spirits. Nothing conclusive.

I got to thinking about how willows are supposed to grow pretty fast, and about my ideas for these woses doing a little better in wet environments, and what with one thing and another, here's a description draft:

"Among woses, some are more active than others. (UNIT NAME)s move slower than most woses, but seem to seek more stimulus than their deep-forest brethren: they stand by gurgling creeks, observe migrating birds, and apparently have an affinity with fast-growing vines and creepers. This ability to control plant life serves them better in combat than their own strength, considerable though that is."

(Although they're honestly pretty wimpy. At least compared to regular woses. The ranged attack is their one major advantage.)

Based on this description-draft, then Seer and Listener are back in the running because those appear to refer to their curiosity about the world around them. But Wose Seer has annoying stacked sibilants, and Wose Listener sounds to my ears like it's a mundane, even casual, word where I need a fancy one.
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

I had Woose Wise in mind but that would be more a lvl3 unit I think.
I like Woose Listener though.
IceTyp

Post by IceTyp »

Pilauli wrote: September 20th, 2020, 7:14 pm But Wose Seer has annoying stacked sibilants,
To avoid those stacked sibilants, you could place a word between Wose and Seer, e.g. Wose Life Seer, Wose Vine Seer, Wose Plant Seer.
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

The wose are mysterious but I'll pick at some statements from the unit descriptions that might help.

wose unit
"The motives and workings of their kind are unknown, though most subscribe to the obvious theory that woses are dedicated wardens of the natural world. "

elder wose unit
"Woses have been said to possess many shapes, all of them tree-like in form, and as they age, to increase in size. Tales tell of woses who resemble trees in this respect as well, towering over the creatures who walk beneath them. This is the greater part of why they are so rarely seen — standing in the slumber which they so often do, a wose of that stature appears to be nothing more than an oddly-shaped tree. Even a careless elf can sometimes be fooled."

However before I continue we should move this topic to the writers thread before the moderators get mad.
Pilauli

Post by Pilauli »

Okay, a moderate amount of stewing and procrastination later, and Wose Listener has started sounding like a better and better name.
Edwylm wrote: September 20th, 2020, 6:56 pm I would suggest filling in empty space between the arm and the back with dark brown/green to give a appearance of canopy shade. Also try adding a little more foliage to the left side feels a little bare to me.
Filling in the empty space really does make a big difference, thanks! I can't find a good spot to put more greenery on the left arm, though, so I'll take the easy way out and leave it bare.
Old
Old
young-shaman.gif (6.36 KiB) Viewed 2257 times
New
New
young-shaman-2.gif (6.54 KiB) Viewed 2257 times
And with that, I'm declaring this unit done enough. If anyone wants to use it, go ahead.
I'm thinking swampy scenarios could maybe use some walking trees...
wose-listener.zip
Contains a bunch of nested folders, 4 wose-listener images, and a unit cfg file.
(17.59 KiB) Downloaded 286 times
thvk

Post by thvk »

The new one looks very nice and is definitly a improvement of the older one.

But the nose of the wose is looking quite big, like the nose of a witch or a birds beak. Maybe you could improve this.
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

I'd be tempted to rename the L2 to Wose Druid and then use the name Wose Shaman for the new L1.

Although Wesnoth 1.15 has moved the L2 unit to core, in 1.14 the unit is a campaign-only unit.
thvk

Post by thvk »

But isnt a druid nearly the same as a shaman i liked wose seer.
Pilauli

Post by Pilauli »

I intended this as a level 1 equivalent to the Wose Shaman, and I'll be just fine if anyone wants to use it that way.

English does not naturally have any sort of "Shaman < Druid" hierarchy, and I'm sick of Wesnoth units always resorting to the same few (slightly misused) synonyms for magic users. In this case, it makes a certain amount of sense that someone, especially an elf or an ignorant outsider, might apply elven terminology to woses based on superficial correspondences between their roles or powers. However, the Wose Shamans are not healers (all Woses can regenerate so they don't need to be healers) whereas the Elvish Druids are differentiated from the Sorceresses specifically by being healers. And I think the woses might be kind of like the

So... that means I don't think the level 2 Wose Shaman needs to be renamed, although I'm not going to oppose it either.

Regarding his nose: it's based on the beaky nose of the level 2.

I'll also note that I come back to Wesnoth every so often, start a project, and then lose interest, get bogged down, or have something else demand my time. So I'm sure I will eventually post more stuff here, but probably not with any regularity. Maybe I should put that disclaimer in the first post...
MoonyDragon

Post by MoonyDragon »

I'd like to make yet another name proposal for this awesome-looking unit: How about Wose Gardener?
Default L0 Era - Level 1 leaders with level 0 recruits!
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I'd be tempted to rename the L2 to Wose Druid and then use the name Wose Shaman for the new L1.
How about?
Wose Shaman --> Wose Druid --> Wose Warden
Assuming, there is a level 3 coming in the future (Well, one can hope).
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
thvk

Post by thvk »

Pilauli: I dont think that you are obliged to post here in a regular maner. I myself started a thread and stoped to post after a month. Now im posting again and nobody seems to be disturbed by this as the topic is falling in the ranking when there are no new posts.

I like the name wose gardener but it sounds like a very weak unit with level 0. How about wose initiate?