ghype's Daily Art - Thank You!

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Samonella

Re: ghype's Daily Art

Post by Samonella »

Wow, I just scrolled through and there is a lot of really good stuff here! I'll definitely keep an eye on this thread, great job!

Lol I hope you didn't think that there were no dark souls fans lurking around here though. You probably shouldn't put the silver eagle kite shield from page 5 on the addon server.
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG
ghype

Re: ghype's Daily Art

Post by ghype »

Samonella wrote: June 12th, 2018, 11:03 pm Wow, I just scrolled through and there is a lot of really good stuff here! I'll definitely keep an eye on this thread, great job!
thanks alot. appreciate the time it took you to reach the end.
Samonella wrote: June 12th, 2018, 11:03 pm Lol I hope you didn't think that there were no dark souls fans lurking around here though. You probably shouldn't put the
interesting. not a dark souls player but I found the base image on a site stating it was free to use. thanks for advising me. I will take the image down in the morning.
ghype

Re: ghype's Daily Art #48 - (real) Vikings

Post by ghype »

this is the last unit line for the vikings.
since they all had great ship craftsmanship, here are their boats.

Viking Skuldelev (lv1), Viking Oseberg (lv2), Viking Gokstad (lv3), Viking Roskilde (lv4)
Attachments
viking-skuldelev.png
viking-skuldelev.png (17.23 KiB) Viewed 10310 times
enclave

Post by enclave »

the boats perfect ;)

regarding the shields u talked about before, they might be better of being magenta instead of teal :)

and sword on viking level 3 still doesnt fit, looks fake.

PS. didnt know the boats needed shadows :) i thought half of them are under water anyway =]
ghype

Post by ghype »

enclave wrote: June 13th, 2018, 10:53 am the boats perfect ;)
regarding the shields u talked about before, they might be better of being magenta instead of teal :)
and sword on viking level 3 still doesnt fit, looks fake.
PS. didnt know the boats needed shadows :) i thought half of them are under water anyway =]
thanks, the TC on shield is also a good idea, but I planned to do those all in one session since most of my units have no (good TC).
the sword "still" doesnt fit, because this issue wasn't yet addressed. but it will be.

about the botes not havig shadows is a good point too, however, if you recruit them in the keep they must have some sort of shadows, and also in water, the oars create shadows on the water surface
ghype

Re: ghype's Daily Art #49 - (real) Vikings

Post by ghype »

Soo. it was a long journey sofar. here is the last post related to the vikings. their weapon portraits.
my favorite is the hatched and the knife+hatched images

but I have more stuff to show. some of them need to be cleaned up though. 1-max. 2 weeks and then more stuff will be coming.
thanks for your support and your feedback, I appreciate your time.

Edit: the lower, multiple bows/and ship icons relate to the boats.
Attachments
viking-weapon-portraits.png
viking-weapon-portraits.png (84.18 KiB) Viewed 10264 times
Last edited by ghype on June 14th, 2018, 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lordlewis

Post by Lordlewis »

I feel like some of the colors in these attack icons need to be blended more, so they all look smooth...
Gold is great!
Swat them bugs!
ghype

Post by ghype »

Lordlewis wrote: June 14th, 2018, 11:27 am some of the colors in these attack icons need to be blended more
it'd be helpfull if yould be more specific to which you relate? the axes def look unusual, but probably because I didn paced the ornaments perfectly, but other then that, they seem fine
enclave

Post by enclave »

y maybe the top 4 axes colors look strange, but all the rest cool :) and shield is very realistic here;)
no idea how to make top 4 axes look better, the axe near knifes very cool. I think maybe the problem is that the axe near knife is quite not sharp (which is expected) as it wasnt made with latest technology, the shape is not perfect (as expected), while the top axes are very imperfect shape so it's obvious that they were made with old technology, when ancient people could barely do any good forgery (perfect sharpening, and shaping), BUT being imperfect shape, they are perfectly sharp... which creates a incompatibility of our understanding of things.. because imperfect piece of metal can not be perfectly sharp... it then would have to be perfect shape too (like 3d printed lol)
So i guess to make top 4 axes match realistic look they either have to be sharpened less (same as bottom axes with knives) or become more perfect shape, not as if it was done by stone age people..
not sure though :D just thinking :D
PS. after looking more at them I already got used to them.. so now i'm not even sure if anythign needs to be done. but first impression was they were very unrealistic somehow.
ghype

Post by ghype »

I revamped the main post on this threads adding an index of contents. now you can smoothly navigate my thread since it has now over 100 comments regarding my 200+ custom sprites and weapon portraits. Next to come are the actual unit portraits I have franked for most of the units of 3 of the 4 factions.

enclave wrote: June 14th, 2018, 1:15 pm So i guess to make top 4 axes match realistic look they either have to be sharpened less (same as bottom axes with knives) or become more perfect shape, not as if it was done by stone age people..
thanks for your in-depth analysis of the viking weapon portraits.
yes. I saw myself there is something off, they look like highcrafted dwarfen axes or so. But I really liked the concept so I used them for my viking since some noble vikings could have this kind of axes too. I will parce the models more smoothly on the axes.
about the hatchet - i am actually really proud of the hatched (and hatchet+knife) i think they are one of the best waepon portraits from my era sofar.
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Re: ghype's not so Daily Art #49 - Eternal Era

Post by octalot »

I saw these in-game yesterday, and they're a good addition.

But the breasts seem misplaced on the Anglican, Pegasus and maybe the Retriever. The body, face, arms and belly-button are all facing south-east, but the bottom of the bra is horizontal to the viewer, as if the torso is facing south.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Wow the faction is really coming together!! :D It looks great and the units are all really unique and interesting!!
ghype

Post by ghype »

octalot wrote: June 25th, 2018, 9:20 am I saw these in-game yesterday, and they're a good addition.

But the breasts seem misplaced on the Anglican, Pegasus and maybe the Retriever. The body, face, arms and belly-button are all facing south-east, but the bottom of the bra is horizontal to the viewer, as if the torso is facing south.
thank you. I am not sure what the exact problem is, but I will look into this when I start overworking them.
The_Gnat wrote: June 30th, 2018, 3:02 am Wow the faction is really coming together!! :D It looks great and the units are all really unique and interesting!!
thank you too.
ghype

Re: ghype's Daily Art #50 - Portraits

Post by ghype »

OK so it has been some time. I will now post some of my Franken Portraits.
DISCLAIMER: these are far from being as good as my sprites. in fact, I think most of them are quality wise bad, but they are as good as I could make them.
that doesn't mean that there aren't any goods between them.

So here they come. I took the female adept sprite and simply turned it into a skeleton.
skeletal-witch.png
skeletal-witch.png (4.72 KiB) Viewed 9936 times
skeletal-witch.png
skeletal-witch.png (46.82 KiB) Viewed 9936 times
ForestDragon

Re: ghype's Daily Art #50 - Portraits

Post by ForestDragon »

ghype wrote: July 3rd, 2018, 6:08 pm OK so it has been some time. I will now post some of my Franken Portraits.
DISCLAIMER: these are far from being as good as my sprites. in fact, I think most of them are quality wise bad, but they are as good as I could make them.
that doesn't mean that there aren't any goods between them.
The portraits looks fairly good, actually. I'd probably suggest removing the hood, though. It would also be a good idea to align the hand with the rest of the arm, as it currently seems to weirdly "branch" from the arm.