Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Vulpine

Re: Hold my Bear I got this [DBL's Request thread]

Post by Vulpine »

I think it looks pretty good!

Not sure if she's supposed to have three up-pointing left wing parts; in the original there are four wings total- two pointing up and two pointing down. Her upper left one does look like it's got three parts, but I think it's just the way it was segmented. (Sorry if I'm unclear :oops: )

I personally think her chin is just a tad sharp, but I realize that you have your own style.
Somewhat OT:
So, this is my personal opinion- just general suggestions that I as an individual with my own individual tastes think would look nice. Feel free to disregard it; for all I know you had perfectly valid reasons for doing the wings the way you did.
Edit about cropping:
One foot in my mouth, and one in the grave; that's the way I like it, and that's the way it'll stay.
[shameless_advertising]
Also the author of Elvish Incursion, a short little prologue.
[/shameless_advertising]
darkbearlab

Post by darkbearlab »

ForestDragon wrote:Again, I think it would be nice if you posted shrunk sketches, and not full-size ones. The portrait itself looks cute, btw (and much better than The_Gnat's). It's nice that it isn't designed for a specific character, meaning that It can be used for multiple campaigns/characters.
hm right, but let this time be. I'll make sure they will be handled next time.
Vulpine wrote:I think it looks pretty good!

Not sure if she's supposed to have three up-pointing left wing parts; in the original there are four wings total- two pointing up and two pointing down. Her upper left one does look like it's got three parts, but I think it's just the way it was segmented. (Sorry if I'm unclear :oops: )

I personally think her chin is just a tad sharp, but I realize that you have your own style.
Somewhat OT:
So, this is my personal opinion- just general suggestions that I as an individual with my own individual tastes think would look nice. Feel free to disregard it; for all I know you had perfectly valid reasons for doing the wings the way you did.
Edit about cropping:
you are perfectly clear, and I wasn't being aware of technique such very much.
I'll fix the wings when I continue.
As for side issue, they can be inverted anytime, np, and luckly I haven't done anything too direction sensitive I think.
I do things, including arts. Mostly fan arts.
http://darkbearlab.deviantart.com/
Embuck

Post by Embuck »

I'd like to place a request. Could you say who is in line ahead of me?
I'll wait my turn on the request, of course, but I have a quick question. Would you count two variants of the same portrait as separate requests? For instance, same stance and clothes, but one with a hood and one without.
Also, I have a small screen, and the full size sketches don't show completely. Could you maybe scale them down, or something, please?
darkbearlab

Post by darkbearlab »

Embuck wrote:I'd like to place a request. Could you say who is in line ahead of me?
I'll wait my turn on the request, of course, but I have a quick question. Would you count two variants of the same portrait as separate requests? For instance, same stance and clothes, but one with a hood and one without.
Also, I have a small screen, and the full size sketches don't show completely. Could you maybe scale them down, or something, please?
Just post your request following the formate I mentioned at the start, and wait for it.
Actually picture size isn't really a big issue if you are willing to open them at a different tab, which would scale the size for you, just letting you know.
Embuck

Post by Embuck »

So, here goes.
Spoiler:
I think this should cover her pretty well.
Oh, and I opened one of the full size sketches in another tab. Worked great. Thanks.
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

Hey DBL.
Some folks over on the off topic forum (apparently it shouldn't be there) started making a multiplayer online scenario with tricky alliances about people ganging up to loot the treasure of the Eternal Dragon.

The Dragon is huge, ancient, immortal and extremely arrogant (due to it's nightmarish power). Once defeated it goes to sleep in a stone form for up to a thousand years.

The Dragon is bigger than your average Dragon, small slanted eyes and a sneer of contempt. It is a dark grey colour or some darker metallic colour. It has horns and a "beard" it has a very long neck.
Well, that's how I picture him anyway - people actually making the scenario might have different ideas :lol: .

Want to try drawing a unique and terrifying portrait of the eternal dragon?
If people give you time to finish these that is
Spoiler:
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
darkbearlab

Post by darkbearlab »

skeptical_troll wrote:...
So Jundis is there, as you could check it at OP.
It's not polished tho, for I think I would need some more reference how you want his armor and custom are like. Please let me know if you could find some reference and I'll revisit.
skeptical_troll

Post by skeptical_troll »

darkbearlab wrote:So Jundis is there, as you could check it at OP.
It's not polished tho, for I think I would need some more reference how you want his armor and custom are like. Please let me know if you could find some reference and I'll revisit.
Thanks, that looks great! I particularly like his expression and headgear. If you want references for the armor/clothes, one of these two alternatives could give you inspiration (I think the first is closer to what you already drew)
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... 0c7eb1.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... 16e5a2.jpg

A few comments/personal impressions:
The bow should be visible also below the shoulder plate, at the moment it is cut out (or you can make his shoulders/clothes a bit wider, he his on the thin side atm so that wouldn't look unrealistic); the plates on the shoulders look a bit too bright to me, almost like lucid plastic rather than metal, especially if compared with the helmet (I suppose they are made of the same material); the lower part gives me the impression of an unnatural/tensed pose, but I'm not sure why. It could be that the pelvis is sticking out too much, or because I'd expect him to have his right leg a bit ahead rather than straight down.

A final request, which you can feel free to consider or ignore, would be to add some middle-eastern-ish decoration to his shield, it could be something as simple as this.

Thanks again! I look forward to see more of your works :)
darkbearlab

Post by darkbearlab »

Spoiler:
Oops my bad leaving now unchecked, even it's not polished that's still unforgivable ;;
And I see. I'll see how I can do more on it
darkbearlab

Post by darkbearlab »

skeptical_troll wrote:...
First, couldn't find much time recently so my apologize for the waiting
Spoiler:
here's the last attempt and I will move on since I'm making people waiting too long
The original size file is here
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2jsg ... UVrOE5fTm8
so it people want to further working on it, please use it instead.
skeptical_troll

Post by skeptical_troll »

Many thanks, the shield looks really nice now! I included it in the last version of the campaign. :)
Good luck with your next portraits!
darkbearlab

Post by darkbearlab »

Embuck wrote:So, here goes.
Spoiler:
I think this should cover her pretty well.
Oh, and I opened one of the full size sketches in another tab. Worked great. Thanks.
Spoiler:
Sketch stage.
May not fit your taste but it fit mine. Please open it at a different tab so it won't be hidden due to overflow.
Embuck

Post by Embuck »

Looks great so far! :D
One thing I left out; she has four small blue star tattoos on her face, in a line straight down below her right eye.
Also, could you raise the neckline just a bit?
She looks great. You've given her just the look I wanted.
darkbearlab

Post by darkbearlab »

Embuck wrote:Looks great so far! :D
One thing I left out; she has four small blue star tattoos on her face, in a line straight down below her right eye.
Also, could you raise the neckline just a bit?
She looks great. You've given her just the look I wanted.
Please add them yourself after I finished, for I don't think it fit.
but don't worry, it should be achievable easily with gimp.
and I won't do that, since her neck is already very long...
2017-05-15 (1).jpg
Embuck

Post by Embuck »

Cool! Looking good. I'm pretty handy with gimp, so no problems on that score. It's just drawing I can't do. Sometime I'll have to make the time to really try...
But thanks for all your work so far. She's looking great.