Lovecraft's Deep Ones (New here)

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Stopsignal

Re: Lovecraft's Deep Ones (New here)

Post by Stopsignal »

The_Gnat wrote:Yeah (but credit goes to skeptical troll i got it from the hunters of the east campaign, i cant draw that well ;) ) Also this faction is supposed to be fun so if it ever starts being a pressure or taking up too much time just take a break and don't worry about it (there's no rush for any of this :D )

EDIT: also if you download hunters of the east it has animations for the fisherman! :D
Alright! I'll take note of it! I'll most probably edit it somewhat, so i might end up doing the animations myself. Not like i don't enjoy it!

And don't worry, this is seriously fun for me. By the way, i have been doing some idea sketches.
Spoiler:
That would be for the Fisherman's picture, it's just part, but it's more or less how they'd look, with the fish-like features.
Spoiler:
That would be for the hero of the Deep Ones. At least one of them, just to have something for now. We don't have to call him Cthulhu, maybe just "Lesser god" or something, but it's going to be seriously fun to sprite, that's for sure.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Good! I like your drawings (and you are a seriously good artist!) :D

EDIT: Also do you think the Shoggoth should go up to lvl 3 or would that be to good for a monster like this?

And do you think the new unit tree is good?
Stopsignal

Post by Stopsignal »

Thanks a lot! That's really appreciated :)

That's the mockup version. It may change drastically in the future, but for now i like it like that!

I made it younger, as they never get old- they actually transform into fish before being able to.

I might play with a cthulu mockup now, and then with a cultist!
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Looking good :mrgreen:
Stopsignal

Post by Stopsignal »

Last one before going to sleep!

By the way, scaly dithering is awesome.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Nice! :D I look forward to seeing more drawings! (will this unit be a level 3 leader unit?) And it is a good idea to sleep at some point ;)
Last edited by The_Gnat on November 21st, 2016, 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stopsignal

Post by Stopsignal »

I was thinking of making it the hero unit for now! It's Cthulhu itself, based on Lovecraft's drawings :D Does that mean it would be a leader unit then?
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Stopsignal wrote:I was thinking of making it the hero unit for now! It's Cthulhu itself, based on Lovecraft's drawings :D Does that mean it would be a leader unit then?
Yeah, basically it depends on whether it can be advanced from the normal unit lines or if it is a stand alone unit. (it would probably actually be called a hero unit)
Stopsignal

Post by Stopsignal »

Stand alone, for now. I will make Dagon, however, who is the Deep One's god, basically a huge Deep One. That one could totally be used as the last Deep One level, for sure! Tomorrow though, i used all my drawing juices today.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Awesome, i look forward to seeing more units! :D (Dagon is going to look really cool!)
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

I haven't read Lovecraft yet so how exactly are the humans turned into fish? Because you could add a plague attack to one of your units (If I understood correctly it would propably be the cultists).
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

I would keep the unit tree more narrow for the start.

basically the "hunter" sprite at level 2 as melee fighter or mixed fighter and one more for the other role.

Starting of the same level 1 and advancing both to their own level 3. I would take the bulkier sprite for the brute. The hunter does look bulky to me, but lets see the next one.

Of course there is room for a mage or a scout line, but maybe there are supporting races in that world, who could fit the roles?

That Shoggoth is some ultra brute? Be carefull with black. Never use pitch black. Looking at some references the Shoggoth seems to be used as pawn in Cthulu chess. Maybe that would qualify for the scout line? Compare the use with ghost or bat.

The giant turtle would be a level 3 leader who is worshipped by its people? About the sprite: I have issues with the square on the back and cannot read the 6 eyes very well. But whatever you do will be fine.

I would compare that leader with a lich. For gameplay it might be an option to have it as end of the cultist line. We could make level 1 with 2 eyes, level 2 with 4 eyes and level 3 with 6 eyes. The true Dagon could be a level 4 or 5, but would be only for a campaign. Like silly Eloh in "Burning Suns".

Some inspiration for the uninitiated:
http://lovecraftbestiary.blogspot.de/
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

Oh wow! how did I miss this thread?!!!!

draw Shub Niggurath and Yog Sothoth next!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

@wussel - yeah I was just brainstorming, it is pretty large a unit tree ;) I like your idea of combining the scout and shoggoth I think that is a good idea! I still think it would be good to have a half breed unit as well though because this will be unbalanced otherwise because it is such a water based faction! As for hunter vs warrior the main reason I was thinking of distinguishing is because the hunter has water ambush and players may not want that.

@vyncyn - I agree, when the cultist does get created a plague power might be good, but according to lovecraft people turn into deepones because fishpeople breed with humans also if it does have plague that would create zombies (which wouldnt be appropriate) maybe instead the cultist could poison or hypnotize enemies?
Stopsignal

Post by Stopsignal »

Poison could be cool! They are known for assassinating quite a bunch of people after all!

A plague would be fun, but it really doesn't fit sadly. Breeding with the fishes is the only way, basically!

Well, i'm here with quite a bunch of Cthulhu versions. Which one you like? Just to fix the eyes thingie, it has been bothering me as well.

Original without eye colors

Clearer eyes

Clearer eyes and highlights, on eyes and colored goop

Original without eye colors with highlights

original with highlights

This is a complete remake of the eye zone i got quite fond of

remake with highlights!