The Gnats Franken Dungeon

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Edwylm

Re: The Gnats Franken Dungeon

Post by Edwylm »

The_Gnat wrote: November 6th, 2018, 9:15 pm That is actually a good idea. What do you think of this (helmet shut):
the unit looks a bit weird looks like a metal plate without eye holes.
alt.png
alt.png (6.05 KiB) Viewed 6918 times
i edited your unit and replaced the helm with a different helm for reference.
Lordlewis

Post by Lordlewis »

Both of them look quite good, but the helmet design changed quite a bit when the eye holes were added in. Still looks good though :D
Gold is great!
Swat them bugs!
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Edwylm wrote: November 7th, 2018, 5:13 am the unit looks a bit weird looks like a metal plate without eye holes.

alt.png
:D Thanks ! Yeah I agree eye holes are good. I was going for intimidating but it was kind of hard to tell what was going on.

I like your change though I feel like the right side of that sprite's mask is larger than the left?
ghype

Post by ghype »

maybe u can use the paladin of death with closed helmet for attack frame.
this way you can still tell he is undead when he does not attack.
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

The_Gnat wrote: November 7th, 2018, 6:57 am I like your change though I feel like the right side of that sprite's mask is larger than the left?
the angle of the helm is creating a illusion affect. the helm on the right side has 2 pixel smaller in the with compared to the left side in some places. It also as a shadow affect on the right side too. The ornamental blade like objects is also a bit to give the appearance that the left is seem more closer to the player.
But this is was only like 15 min work so their might be some minor visual defects.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Edwylm wrote: November 7th, 2018, 5:49 pm the angle of the helm is creating a illusion affect.
Yes when looking closer I see what you mean :)
ghype wrote: November 7th, 2018, 7:59 am maybe u can use the paladin of death with closed helmet for attack frame.
this way you can still tell he is undead when he does not attack.
Ahh... Very good point :doh: It is important to differentiate this from merely a black knight or evil soldier because this is actually an undead warrior.

@Edwylm & LordLewis - Maybe it is best just to leave this unit with no mask so you can see his face? (I say that because it would seem strange to have him put on a mask for attack animations. It would probably end up just looking like a glitch.) Alternatively do you have any ideas for making this unit more clearly undead?

Thank you everyone for your input!
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

um well i see 2 options
#1 leave as is if its suppose to be a more elite unit. reason why as it would be well taken care of and it would represent the leader/caster of the unit.
#2 you could try to give it more rusty looking armor with parts of the armor missing/broken.
Lordlewis

Post by Lordlewis »

Yeah he doesn't really look undead when you put the mask on him, I think we should possibly just leave him with the first variation of the head area. What other sprite should I make next then?
Gold is great!
Swat them bugs!
ghype

Post by ghype »

as mentioned, using the helmet version only for attack/defense frames would solve either problem, since you wont see it in the base sprite.
you just have to decide which helmet you like the most.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Hi everyone thanks for the feedback!

Meanwhile I have drawn another unit! The Level 5 Dune Legacier 8)
altawir.png
altawir.png (2.9 KiB) Viewed 6835 times
muhtal.png
muhtal.png (4.57 KiB) Viewed 6835 times
legacier.png
legacier.png (5.42 KiB) Viewed 6835 times
ghype wrote: November 7th, 2018, 9:49 pm as mentioned, using the helmet version only for attack/defense frames would solve either problem, since you wont see it in the base sprite.
you just have to decide which helmet you like the most.
True :) the only thing I foresee is that it may look a bit glitchy. For example the Dwarvish High Alchemist has a put-away-shield animation so that I could use his mace and bolas. Even with the extra frames where he actually puts away his shield it just looks a bit strange :whistle: Because the helmet is just to make him look better it might not achieve its purpose if it is added like that.
Edwylm wrote: November 7th, 2018, 8:25 pm um well i see 2 options
#1 leave as is if its suppose to be a more elite unit. reason why as it would be well taken care of and it would represent the leader/caster of the unit.
#2 you could try to give it more rusty looking armor with parts of the armor missing/broken.
I think I will give a try with option 2 :) but if that fails then I may just leave it.
Lordlewis wrote: November 7th, 2018, 8:58 pm What other sprite should I make next then?
I don't mind at all! :D Let me know what you would like to draw!
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

How is this? (I added a skull on his shield and made his eyes visible above his mask)
Attachments
paladin-of-death.png
paladin-of-death.png (4.91 KiB) Viewed 6831 times
Lordlewis

Post by Lordlewis »

Yeah I like the mask better on that, and the shield also looks good. I'm not sure about the legacier sprite, I intended the altawir to look mid-size and low in armor and such, the 5th level sprite looks a bit brutish like a physical attacker rather than ranged. He still looks good, just a bit big for the advancement line.
Gold is great!
Swat them bugs!
ghype

Post by ghype »

i don't like the fact that his lv4 gets a baner, but looses it on lv5 again
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

ghype wrote: November 8th, 2018, 7:33 am i don't like the fact that his lv4 gets a baner, but looses it on lv5 again
:P Yeah good point I will add one in.
Lordlewis wrote: November 8th, 2018, 6:35 am I'm not sure about the legacier sprite, I intended the altawir to look mid-size and low in armor and such, the 5th level sprite looks a bit brutish like a physical attacker rather than ranged. He still looks good, just a bit big for the advancement line.
True :hmm: bigger is not necessarily better. I will see what I can do :)
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Okay I have tried to redraw the legacier, what do you think?
Attachments
legacier.png
legacier.png (4.64 KiB) Viewed 6714 times