The Gnats Franken Dungeon

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Lordlewis

Re: The Gnats Franken Dungeon

Post by Lordlewis »

I'm not sure if that type of shield really works on a drake, it seems a bit small and quite a different color than of the rest of the drake.
Gold is great!
Swat them bugs!
ghype

Post by ghype »

HIerophant looks better. the drake lord looks massiv too!
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

drake looks better simply need to work on the shield and the horns on the head.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Here is another drawing of the Drake sprite. I feel like it has started looking decent now:

Level 4 ->
chancellor.png
chancellor.png (6.95 KiB) Viewed 9359 times
Level 5 ->
lord.png
lord.png (9.96 KiB) Viewed 9359 times
ghype

Post by ghype »

they look really intimidating. but i feel the lv5 sword looks weaker then the lv4 .
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Thank you! And yes I agree, I would prefer it was a scimitar anyway.
ghype

Post by ghype »

since we are frankening here, i considered to ask you help on ideas regarding the following matter.

I posted these two sprites, which were supposed to replace current herbalist & apothecary, in my Dunefolk thread. They are quality wise much better then the originals and the only improvement left open were for the apothercary shiel and mace, which should be an easy fix.
I then however realised, that these two are the only ones having a portrait, which share only few resemblance with the new sprites.
herbalist-new-3.png
herbalist-new-3.png (5.17 KiB) Viewed 9320 times
apothecary-new-3.png
apothecary-new-3.png (5.78 KiB) Viewed 9320 times
Do you have any idea how i could modify them in order to maintain the quality but also regain some of the resemblance to the portrait?
portrait:
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Actually I had an idea which I had yet to post. Potentially you could modify the lvl 1 herbalist's hat to look like the old hat but with green.

Not only would that make the apothecary a more clear advancement but it would also allow the lvl 1 to fit with the portrait more.

Also I would support changing the bottom of the apothecary's cloak to look more fancy. Potentially by adding a TC waist sash or something. Alternatively a TC emblem on the shield might look good.

Sorry about going off about that. ;) As for the portrait the clear first step would to change to red to green and add a cloak/scarf thing on the shoulders. Then if possible you could try to make the turban more square like in the sprite. A beard might also help?
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Here is the drake with a new a bigger sword: 8)
Attachments
lord.png
lord.png (9.51 KiB) Viewed 9304 times
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

ghype wrote: November 27th, 2018, 9:28 pm that these two are the only ones having a portrait
What do you think of this?
Attachments
hakim-green.png
hakim-green.png (196.99 KiB) Viewed 9299 times
ghype

Post by ghype »

The_Gnat wrote: November 27th, 2018, 9:40 pm Potentially you could modify the lvl 1 herbalist's hat to look like the old hat but with green.
Not only would that make the apothecary a more clear advancement but it would also allow the lvl 1 to fit with the portrait more.
yes, I guess the rounder hat must happen for the lv1 sprite.

The_Gnat wrote: November 27th, 2018, 9:40 pm Also I would support changing the bottom of the apothecary's cloak to look more fancy. Potentially by adding a TC waist sash or something. Alternatively a TC emblem on the shield might look good.
I know already how to make the apothercarys cloack/skirt look more fancy.
TC i left for the end. So get a better picture how the unit will look at then end.
The shield really must be changed as mentioned, same for the mace. they are still the current ones which do not look good. I just couldn decide if want to give him a shield like the soldier line or the ranger/spearmaster line. what do you think?

The_Gnat wrote: November 27th, 2018, 9:40 pm Sorry about going off about that. ;) As for the portrait the clear first step would to change to red to green and add a cloak/scarf thing on the shoulders. Then if possible you could try to make the turban more square like in the sprite. A beard might also help?
I find your attempt interesting though i assume it was a quick edit since it is not clean on all spots. I especially like the scarf and neckless you added.
But to be honest, i wanted initially to not touch it, but i guess it will be inevitable. We have to be very convincing since Celtic_Minstrel admitted that hakim and burner line are his favorite ones.
But I guess, if i had to change the portrait, i would do it more like this. I have cut out each segment of cloth so recolouring them should be very easy from now on, we only need to decide on the right combo of colours.
portrait:
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

ghype wrote: November 28th, 2018, 6:37 am I know already how to make the apothercarys cloack/skirt look more fancy.
TC i left for the end. So get a better picture how the unit will look at then end.
The shield really must be changed as mentioned, same for the mace. they are still the current ones which do not look good. I just couldn decide if want to give him a shield like the soldier line or the ranger/spearmaster line. what do you think?
I personally think the circular style (compared to the spearmaster's square) is going in the right direction. Whatever shield is added it needs to thematically fit with the type of unit he is. Because he is not a line holder or even really a fighter but instead a healer I would opt for a smaller buckler rather than a massive shield.

ghype wrote: November 28th, 2018, 6:37 am I find your attempt interesting though i assume it was a quick edit since it is not clean on all spots. I especially like the scarf and neckless you added.
But I guess, if i had to change the portrait, i would do it more like this. I have cut out each segment of cloth so recolouring them should be very easy from now on, we only need to decide on the right combo of colours.
I like what you have done a lot! It looks really good and yes mine was a very quick edit. :D And yes I think the necklace could potentially work well.

ghype wrote: November 28th, 2018, 6:37 am We have to be very convincing since Celtic_Minstrel admitted that hakim and burner line are his favorite ones.
I really liked the old hakim (herbalist) as well but I definitely think what you have done is an improvement. 8)
ghype wrote: November 28th, 2018, 6:37 am yes, I guess the rounder hat must happen for the lv1 sprite.
You could just use the old herbalist hat
ghype

Post by ghype »

how about this one?
I think the hat has a much better "round" shape and the ornaments are much better looking.
and it is touch with the old sprite and
also delete his beard since the portrait has non either.
Attachments
herbalist-new-4.png
herbalist-new-4.png (5.16 KiB) Viewed 9090 times
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

That is really well done! It looks like a better level 1 and matches the portrait a lot better! :)
ghype

Post by ghype »

great you see it that way. want to keep it closer to sleepwalkers vision.

I also analysed the entire old art thread for khalif. will post my results soon enough too.