Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Addan-Shem

Re: The Official Neorice topic.

Post by Addan-Shem »

Ideas, ideas...
  • Wooden horses could have a rocking or a hobby horse alternative, although they're kinda larger than a regular toy horse...
  • Toy soldier (the rifleman) could have a wind up drummer alternative with leadership, but that kinda conflicts with the doll line as well as being anachronistic...
  • A toy balloon(s) riding marionette as an option besides the Sandman? Or one floating in a soap bubble with a bubble pipe. Or flying on a paper plane.
  • Floating music box with a dancing ballerina for the doll line?
  • Something could be made with these things for the string puppet line.

EDIT:
  • Also remembered this guy. An army of these were lead by Nutcracker, however I guess it wouldn't really fit in that line... Too nice and recognizable a design not to mention, though, I think.
Last edited by Addan-Shem on October 29th, 2016, 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[You read the signature and discover a link to this user's art workshop.]
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

Addan-Shem wrote:Initially I thought that the two bag parts are shoes, but that totally confused me.
That's what I thought too before I looked closely.
If the brown parts are both part of the same bag I think it should be made more obvious. Maybe rework his pose/design in general (but please don't remove him, I love the idea of the umbrella sandman... actually the idea of the whole faction :D ).

I second Addan-Shems new ideas, though the faction shouldn't get too big either. If I'm not mistaken the largest mainline faction (loyalists) has 8 lvl1 units, 12 lvl2 and 11 lvl3. Jack-in-the-box is also a very good option.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Toy soldier with drums could have leadership if the doll line becomes more healing focused, or vice-verca.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

I personally think that healing should definitely come in somewhere :D because especially for weaker (like toys) units healing can make a HUGE difference! That (in my opinion) is why the knalgan faction is inferior ;)
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

In case you're still interested in doing some further unit art that might be useful, I'd like to suggest two units:

1. A gorgon
I am currently working on a portrait for a gorgon unit and I have plans to implement it in one of my campaigns. Unfortunately, there's no gorgon sprite and there aren't many female unit sprites to frankenstein a gorgon from. As there's the petrify ability but no unit that uses it, a gorgon would certainly add a lot of flavour to other UMC stuff aswell.

I'd imagine a gorgon to look like that:
  • lower part is a snake tail and a bit darker than the upper body
  • yellow-green skin
  • equipped with 2 short swords
  • as she'd certainly end up being a level 3, 4 unit or some kind of boss, the sprite should be big enough (https://units.wesnoth.org/1.12/mainline ... rpent.html the size of the serpent sprite would be nice)
  • not looking too evil
2. A flying desert animal
I am looking for a flying animal that lives in the desert and may be ridden just like a gryphon. A giant eagle, a flying/levitating sky-snake, a magical creature made out of sand grains or any other thematically fitting unit would be a very nice thing to have. Once again, it should be big enough, as I'd like to place the guy in the middle on top of it, then.
Durin_the_great

Post by Durin_the_great »

I suggest a flying carpet :lol:
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

2. A flying desert animal
I am looking for a flying animal that lives in the desert and may be ridden just like a gryphon. A giant eagle, a flying/levitating sky-snake, a magical creature made out of sand grains or any other thematically fitting unit would be a very nice thing to have. Once again, it should be big enough, as I'd like to place the guy in the middle on top of it, then.
Oh, you mean those Silt Striders from Solsteim? Saw one in TESV, but it was near-death though...

BTW, Neoriceisgood, can you draw a wyvern? They look like dragons (no, not Smaug) but have no fore-limbs. Just wings and kinda serpentine in appearance. :)
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Requests noted! Will see if I get to chance to get one or two of em done some time soon! :)

/edit

FYI if you're doing portraits for units you're requesting, please share them! I'll base the unit off of the portrait art if possible!

/edit2

Here's a wyvern, enjoy.

/edit3

and a flying snake with horseman as an example rider.
Attachments
tengshe.png
tengshe.png (4.03 KiB) Viewed 7162 times
wyvern.png
wyvern.png (2.58 KiB) Viewed 7168 times
Last edited by Neoriceisgood on November 21st, 2016, 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

I love it, especially the sinuous serpent form, however I must ask about it's pectoral muscles. Birds and other flying creatures have a deep keelbone type sternum to attach huge muscles for flying, the only exceptions are gliding creatures and your wyvern doesn't look like it glides. It may be difficult to keep the serpent body shape while adding flight muscles but I have confidence in your abilities.

Also this is not merely a repeated request of mine for ...um 'big chested' reptiles.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Midnight_Carnival wrote:I love it, especially the sinuous serpent form, however I must ask about it's pectoral muscles. Birds and other flying creatures have a deep keelbone type sternum to attach huge muscles for flying, the only exceptions are gliding creatures and your wyvern doesn't look like it glides. It may be difficult to keep the serpent body shape while adding flight muscles but I have confidence in your abilities.

Also this is not merely a repeated request of mine for ...um 'big chested' reptiles.

Yeah that's fine, I mostly YOLO magical creature anatomy cause I don't feel something that size could take off without some kind of magic anyway.

But here's one with PECKS LIKE A BOSSSSS
Attachments
pecks.png
pecks.png (2.37 KiB) Viewed 7152 times
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Your art style is still breathtaking! The wyvern looks really cool! I think removing the wings and legs of the wyvern could make a really cool fat flying snake out of it, on which a rider can easily sit on. The Tengshe is very cute, too, and will certainly do its job as a lower level unit

I think your work is exactly what the UMC guys need: fresh high quality sprites, so thanks for your efforts!

Here's the gorgon portrait that I am currently working on, it's somewhat NSFW. I'll either keep the 'ancient greek clothing' or add a massive bronze single-piece-breastplate, preferably the first, though.

I hope that's something you can work with!
Last edited by Kwandulin on November 27th, 2016, 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

That wyvern is awesome and even fits perfectly into a 72x72 frame. Maybe you could try to scale it to fit for a 160x200 frame like the mainline Fire Dragon?
I think your work is exactly what the UMC guys need: fresh high quality sprites, so thanks for your efforts!
Yeah, couldn't have said it better myself!
Well done! Keep up the good work, Neorice.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

Loving those pectoral muscles too much :twisted:
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

@Kwandulin
You can simply extend the scales part to come up until covering her breasts if that is your concern.

Uhh, id like to request 2 variations of this elephant sprite. its used for lvl1 and has following lvl2s.
siege elephant: elephant is carrying an ballista on it's back instead the rider.
heavy elephant: elephant is almost entirely covered in armor, primarily chainmail with some plate parts.
Attachments
war-elephant.png
war-elephant.png (7.47 KiB) Viewed 7025 times
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:That wyvern is awesome and even fits perfectly into a 72x72 frame. Maybe you could try to scale it to fit for a 160x200 frame like the mainline Fire Dragon?
Scaling pixelart is kinda difficult as it'd require a lot of rework, if I did a 160x200 wyvern I'd just start from scratch and make it a fully new sprite that'd fit the template.

(talking about which, can anyone provide me the 160x200 template? I don't have it.)