ForestDragon's Franken-Art

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
ForestDragon

Re: ForestDragon's Art

Post by ForestDragon »

not much comment lately, but i decided to make a lvl2 khalifate scholar (he instead of healing, will give exp to nearby units randomly from 1 to 3) his main use is leveling up low level units, which do you think is better? the one with Elder mage staff? or the one with a mace?:
scholar.png
scholar.png (3.29 KiB) Viewed 3755 times
scholar2.png
scholar2.png (3.47 KiB) Viewed 3755 times
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Happy to see that you're continuing The work on the elvish glavier. :)
He Moves too much though atm. Try making him move only one Pixel, not more, i believe that's the standard.
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
DeCoolest_Cat

Post by DeCoolest_Cat »

As Paulomat said, the arms should move 1 pixel. Also, the head should move a little. I like the anim, it's much better than before :)
Author of beta campaign Kalbruk's Journey - My art thread - My collection of single player scenarios: The Archives
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

yep, gonna fix the glavier anim soon, oh, and i seen a khalifate peasant in Settlers of Beer, but thought he is too much like loyalist peasant, and not enough arabian, so i changed him a bit, darkened his skin, made his TC clothes look like a robe, by the way, how do you want me to make him? remain with full TC robe? or make it mostly white with TC bits?
peasant-khalifate.png
peasant-khalifate.png (3.07 KiB) Viewed 3712 times
peasant-khalifate-attack-1.png
peasant-khalifate-attack-1.png (2.45 KiB) Viewed 3712 times
peasant-khalifate-attack-2.png
peasant-khalifate-attack-2.png (2.9 KiB) Viewed 3712 times
peasant-khalifate-ranged.png
peasant-khalifate-ranged.png (2.55 KiB) Viewed 3712 times
peasant-khalifate-defend.png
peasant-khalifate-defend.png (2.82 KiB) Viewed 3712 times
Last edited by ForestDragon on April 23rd, 2016, 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

redid the bob anim, this time also with torso movement (i used Kwandulin's Calik bob anim for inspiration):
elvish-glavier-bob-new.gif
elvish-glavier-bob-new.gif (12.28 KiB) Viewed 3704 times
and the old one for comparison:
elvish-glavier-bob.gif
elvish-glavier-bob.gif (6.4 KiB) Viewed 3704 times
EDIT: tested the new anim in-game, look convincing enough (in different speed than in gif)
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

now that i have tested the anim in-game, here is the (probably) final edition:
elvish-glavier-bob-1.png
elvish-glavier-bob-1.png (4.32 KiB) Viewed 3688 times
elvish-glavier-bob-2.png
elvish-glavier-bob-2.png (4.62 KiB) Viewed 3688 times
elvish-glavier-bob-3.png
elvish-glavier-bob-3.png (4.61 KiB) Viewed 3688 times
elvish-glavier-bob-4.png
elvish-glavier-bob-4.png (4.88 KiB) Viewed 3688 times
and here is the code for the anim (currently used in my era)

Code: Select all

[standing_anim]
        start_time=0
        [frame]
            image="units/elves-wood/elvish-glavier.png:190"
        [/frame]
        [frame]
            image="units/elves-wood/elvish-glavier-bob-[1~4,3~1].png:[190,190,150,280,150,190,190]"
        [/frame]
        [frame]
            image="units/elves-wood/elvish-glavier.png:190"
        [/frame]
    [/standing_anim]
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

decide to make a sketch portrait (while accidentally finding a brush option to replace colors):
elvish_glavier.png
elvish_glavier.png (185.49 KiB) Viewed 3679 times
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

made the cape green (i might need to use a darker color):
Glavier:
Pikeman:
EDIT:nah, i like this one
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

back to portraiting, i present to you, a frankenportrait i made for my campaign, basically a veteran paladin, who looks a bit Obi-Wan-Kenobi-ish (i am a Star Wars fan :D )(the original allanyn is even more Obi-Wan-ish), whom the protagonist saves at the beginning from a Draug
hello there!
hello there!
aethenvan.png (285.15 KiB) Viewed 3622 times
what i want, is making him seem older than other paladins, i darkened his horse, gave him those fluffy shoulder pads
if you have any ideas how to make him better (or older), comment
EDIT:here is a version with a scar on his eye (oh, and did i make the damaged eye properly? if there need to be any adjustments, then tell me):
Spoiler:
which do you like better?
EDIT2:yep, i am on an art rampage :lol: ,made another scar version, and wink version ;)
Spoiler:
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

made his entire cape fluffy:
aethenvan-cloak.png
aethenvan-cloak.png (286.81 KiB) Viewed 3557 times
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

hey, sry I didn't answer earlier, I was quite busy over the weekend and monday.
redid the bob anim, this time also with torso movement (i used Kwandulin's Calik bob anim for inspiration)
It looks better but you can still improve it I think. The movement is still too extreme for a bob animation in my opinion. I would discard the outwards movement of the arms entrirely, it looks quite unnatural like a puppet. The body movement is already much better, but maybe you could reduce it by one pixel. Think about it, the only thing he is doing is breathing. I would only move his torso up one (two at max) pixels. You are definetly improving, keep working on it! :)

I really like the pikeman portrait! the green cape looks cool!
The greenish armor for the halberdier doesn't look that good though. :/ Maybe because the green is too cold, maybe try to make it more like this colour and less like the current emerald-like one at the moment. It look nearly turqoise now.

About the paladin:
looks quite good! I would shrink his head a bit though, he looks a bit too big tcompared to his body. The furry cape looks good!

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

repainted the glavier, and shrunk the paladin's head
Glavier:
Paladin:
EDIT:fixed a few parts still being turquiose
EDIT2:made the paladin head a bit bigger, since the current one is a bit too small
Spoiler:
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

repainted the glavier, and shrunk the paladin's head
Okay, sry for critisizing again, I really like your work and that's why I am trying to help you improve it even more. :)

I think I found the problem about the colors. The armour looks much too uniform. When looking at mainline elf portraits, they have either green clothes and leather brown armour (most of them who wear armor), or have different shades of green for different armor parts. Looking at the high lords portrait for example he has at least three different shades of green for his armour. I think that could be worth a try! For example you could make his gloves and shoulder pats (also maybe the leg parts) a light green, the rest of his armor slightly darker and his clothes being a different shade :hmm:
EDIT2:made the paladin head a bit bigger, since the current one is a bit too small
That one looks good to me!

ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Paulomat4 wrote:Okay, sry for critisizing again, I really like your work and that's why I am trying to help you improve it even more. :)
don't worry, thats the 90% of reason most artists post their work here
Paulomat4 wrote:I think I found the problem about the colors. The armour looks much too uniform. When looking at mainline elf portraits, they have either green clothes and leather brown armour (most of them who wear armor), or have different shades of green for different armor parts. Looking at the high lords portrait for example he has at least three different shades of green for his armour. I think that could be worth a try! For example you could make his gloves and shoulder pats (also maybe the leg parts) a light green, the rest of his armor slightly darker and his clothes being a different shade :hmm:
well made a sketch, sorta, i am planning to add a sleeve that goes from the shoulder to gloves (not entirely though):
elvish_glavier3_sketch3.png
elvish_glavier3_sketch3.png (186.95 KiB) Viewed 3453 times
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

improved the sleeve a bit more:
elvish_glavier3_sketch4.png
elvish_glavier3_sketch4.png (186.54 KiB) Viewed 3418 times