Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Aldarisvet's sprite whitesmith

Post by beetlenaut »

At a glance, these would be very hard to tell apart in the game. I think the zombie rat should not have any hair (like the horse).
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

valid point, also, how about some bones shown (like troll whelp)
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

beetlenaut wrote:At a glance, these would be very hard to tell apart in the game.
But color is still quite different. Level1 Brown Rat from some campaigns/eras differ from Giant Rad only by the color and it is still possible to distinct them form each other. And I am going to use Brown Rat in this scenario.
Hmm, I would say that color of zombie rat in my home PC is quite more similar to gray than at work. I really wanted to make rat zombie greenish. Or may be it is because of higher resolution at home? In 1920*1080 the rat is so small!
beetlenaut wrote:I think the zombie rat should not have any hair (like the horse).
Well, I cannot see that alive horses have visible hair in mainline sprites, so no surprise that zombie horses do not have hair too. So this example with horse looks like not good argument for your point, however naked rat may be a solution anycase.

But in general, I no way can say that I did good work with this zombie rat. I am not an artist at all, so I did as I could, nothing to frankenstein for this, you see :)
Or may be I will try to use some fragments of skin from zombie horse :hmm:
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

How about this?
Since I got huge feedback for AWOF, I am going to release a new version of it, but new version without some graphical material is not a new version.
I am going to put zombie goblins on it, it is for zombified riders.
The head is from beetlenaut's wolf, and the body once was that Mechanical's tryout - http://forum.wesnothlife.ru/index.php?a ... 3677&image , almost nothing left from it.
Attachments
zombie_wolf.png
zombie_wolf.png (1.87 KiB) Viewed 7486 times
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

If a wolf is skinny (which a hairless zombie would be), its shoulders in the front are very prominent. I tried to show that in my drawing, and I think that is the most wolf-like part of that sprite. I think yours looks too fat and healthy, except for the color.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

I think your edges are too neat and well defined, makes the wolf look smooth
consider the following: tufts of scraggly hair which haven't yet fallen out, flaps of rotting skin, and even though it is cliche´d, rotting flesh and bones poking out. Overall I'd go more a more mottled look with ribs more clearly visible and maybe glaring hollow eyes.
Not a bad sprite, but a bit to "cuddly" for my tastes.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

I started an active phase of working on Chapter III of 'A Whim of Fate'.
The main focus of the campaign would be on Silver Mages and using their teleportation abilities in tactics.
There would be 6 Silver Mages in the Chapter, 4 heroes and additional 2 loyal (male+famale) with ability to progress from level3 to level4. All 6 of them would have different sprites (loyal would have default sprites of course), heroes will have thier own portraits.
I am also using default portaits as portaits for heroes.

Now, as a default portait for a male Silver Mage we have a totally baldy person (not that you see on the default sprite).
This would be a portrait for the hero called Morivor (which already appeared at Chapter II), and I made a sprite (a head, to be accurate) that would fit that portrait.

So below is the baldy Silver Mage. Absolutely baldy one, as in the default male portait. I broke my eyes on that damned shiny skinny head, not sure how good is the result but I cant bear working on it anymore.
morivor-silver-mage.png
morivor-silver-mage.png (1.67 KiB) Viewed 7262 times
EDIT:
And also below is the sprite for the heroine named Karna. Karna will have a portrait of Linaera from The Orcish Incursion. So I made a sprite for her that would fit the portrait (Linaera has loose hair). Again, I am changing only the head (the hair is taken from artisticdude's female rogue and recoloured).
karna-silver-mage.png
karna-silver-mage.png (1.78 KiB) Viewed 7214 times
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Now about Solaevin in Chapter III. As always, all that Silver mages would differ only by their heads/hair. So Solaevin in Chapter III would inherit the head of female White Mage from previous Chapters, that head with hood and bright hair. In sprites the difference is that I recolored her hood/mantle from white to grey, as Silver Mages have. For the portrait I had to frankenstain female Silver Mage portrait with a head of female White Mage.
Below is her portrait and a picture with evolution of her sprites from Chapter I to Chapter III (from level1 to level4).
solaevin_in_chapters.png
silver-solaevin.png
silver-solaevin.png (208.42 KiB) Viewed 7207 times
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Aldarisvets wrote: First of all I want my scenarios to be untypical and original from tactical point of view. For example, the map of one of my scenarios looks like an ocean of forest with occasional clearings of grass. And you with a group of mages have to fight here versus Woses. Imagine it? Often slow in standart maps, woses are much faster here than mages, who can move through forest 2-3 cells per turn, whenever Woses can move 4 cells. And more important, Woses are are invisible in forest
Hi I'd love to play this mage vs wose scenario i asume its part of your campaign? (If so what is it called? :oops: ) Also I'v looked through your thread and like your half-custom franken units :D and was wondering if I could use some in my new 5 lords reign era! Also I dont know if you do requests but I was wondering if you'd be willing to make a great mage upgrade because you seem to be working on mages ( :D maybe lvl 5 red mage is called luminary of fire) if you dont do requests no problem though.

EDIT: after reading some more I pretty easily found out your campaign is called whim of fate :P I look forward to trying it out (do you have any plans for when chapter 3 will be completed? )
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Hi!
The_Gnat wrote: EDIT: after reading some more I pretty easily found out your campaign is called whim of fate :P I look forward to trying it out (do you have any plans for when chapter 3 will be completed? )
No idea actually. I really hope I could finish it in some months, winter holidays probably would give me some time. I started to think about Chapter III a year ago and only recently got some vision comprehensive enough about the storyline and tactics to begin the work.
If you interested, I would suggest to begin with Zombies:Introduction which is the prequel to A Whim of Fate. I really need a feedback about it. Especially about the second scenario of it, which I think is tactically innovative.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Cool I'll try that out when I get some time! Do you mind if I use your sprites in my addon?
SFault

Post by SFault »

I honestly didn't see any difference between the first row units. Then I saw the different staff end. I recommend to make more adjustments. Making a different pose would be good but I understand it's not that easy. Perhaps the hood could have TC adornment or there could be something on the other hand. Perhaps the units could wear a TC cloak on higher level on top of the robes. The higher level sword woman could also have a shield.
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

The_Gnat wrote:Cool I'll try that out when I get some time! Do you mind if I use your sprites in my addon?
Sure you can, some of them already used in Golden Age Era.
SFault wrote:I honestly didn't see any difference between the first row units. Then I saw the different staff end. I recommend to make more adjustments. Making a different pose would be good but I understand it's not that easy.
Heh, not only different staff but level1 has the book and level2 has not.
Note these sprites are made for the same person (a female hero) and a common wesnoth logic - the higher is the level of unit, the bigger is the unit - is not appropriate here. It is ok for me that changes are minimal and I deliberately made it that heads of heroes are the same through chapters for all sprites and portraits.
In UtBS ALMA system you have same sprites for heroes through the whole campaign regardless of the level of the hero, so what?

Also I use Healer Mages as a mass unit so in the campaign you will have a crowd of Healer Mages mixed with White mages. But I deliberately make them looking similar to reflect the fact that they are all from the one order, I did not want to use default level1 mage because he looks radically different. In practice (in the game) it is not so hard to distinguish the Healer Mage from the White Mage.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

A screen from the first scenario of Chapter III of A Whim of Fate (in development). Six Silver Mages, all with different heads. Solaevin, Velendar, Morivor, Karna, default male SM, default female SM. And Gorandor, mounted High Lord in the right. These all for level3, also would be for level4.
6silvers.png
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Aldarisvet wrote:A screen from the first scenario of Chapter III of A Whim of Fate (in development). Six Silver Mages, all with different heads. Solaevin, Velendar, Morivor, Karna, default male SM, default female SM. And Gorandor, mounted High Lord in the right. These all for level3, also would be for level4.

Sounds great, i look forward to playing it! :D Also have you made any animations sprites (movement,attack,standing) for the elvish mounted lord lvl 4? I am going to add it to my addon and was wondering if its been animated?