Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
HaChol

Re: Minotauro (WIP)

Post by HaChol »

Regarding sizes:
Actually Minotaus were just cretan/greek(archaeen) shamans wearing bull masks and dancing.
Dunno where this tower high fiction comes from ..
Anyhow - would say this big minotaur already needs a hole cavalry sqadron as opponent! ;)
The fruit of a righteous man is the tree of life, and the wise man acquires souls.
And I said, I will perish with my nest, and I will multiply days as the chol.
perseo

Post by perseo »

It can be the perfect final boss for a laberinth type scenario... Why not? It doesn't look like a regular unit of course, but I think this was intended.
See ya!
"I was pulling a barrow, when I saw a stalking horse
what a beautiful day!- he said- for visiting a red herring
and getting hoarse."
Working on this campaign: The septentrional tower
Manveru89

Post by Manveru89 »

Hey guys. :)
I have been practicing pixel art and I guess my skills are slightly improved. I have completely reworked the minotaur and now it has only four colours thanks to a new techinque I learned by observing other pixel art. Then I added four more colours for the bones such as horns and clogs. Also another four colours for the mane on the hump. And finally I made a first version of the giant axe. Colours are temporary and of course they can be easily changed.
Oh and of course thank to everyone for the impressions. Zerovirus thanks for examine the image, now it is everything fixed. ;)
I am not sure if I can make make a decent animation, anyway I will try to do my best. Remember I am a beginner pixel artist!

This is the basic sprite from where to make the armoured version. As you know there will be two version, one wild cave like, and another armoured.
Horns are still not in position cause I am not satisfied of them despite the complete revision.
Horns are still not in position cause I am not satisfied of them despite the complete revision.
minotaur-v08.png (6.14 KiB) Viewed 9180 times
This is a crono of the making:
Note: zoom x2
Complete revision
Complete revision
minotaur-revision.gif (51.22 KiB) Viewed 9180 times
This is how should look ingame
Note: Here I have slightly increased the contrast of the minotaur.
Example ingame
Example ingame
minotaur_ingame.png (41.02 KiB) Viewed 9180 times
Oh and by the way, while practicing pixel art, I made also this beast
nota: 14 colours
Standing animation
Standing animation
dorver-stand.gif (20.41 KiB) Viewed 9180 times
Before and After
Attachments
Comparison before and after the complete revision.
Comparison before and after the complete revision.
before_after-zoomx2.gif (10.78 KiB) Viewed 9156 times
Last edited by Manveru89 on February 28th, 2014, 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My body will not be a tomb for other creatures" ~ Leonardo Da Vinci

“Think of the fierce energy concentrated in an acorn! You bury it in the ground, and it explodes into an oak! Bury a sheep, and nothing happens but decay.” ~ George Bernard Shaw
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

Looks very good with the new shading! I do belive the halberd could use much more contrast though, if it's supposed to be copper or bronze (actually it looks alot like brass) it could be a bit cloudy.
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

1. keep doing what you do, cause this looks nice.
2. dont forget about animation, this is really important part of this game :].
3. when i look on this beast i think about kodo beast from warcraft 3 ;], but still on this beast should be some orc with war drums.
4. maybe you should make some own faction :P ? If there will be unit able to reach 5th lvl and 3 other who can reach 4th (and many with 3/2 max lvl) i could also add another one faction to my MWC addon.
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
Manveru89

Re: Minotauro V.1 Released

Post by Manveru89 »

UPDATE: V.1.0 release
- Revised Horns. These are definitive because I am satisfied of the result. It is such an hard work drawing pixels on tiny shapes like that :O
- Revised Axe. Now it looks far better I would say.
- Two new palette colour!
Version 1 released!<br />I am pretty satisfied of the result =)
Version 1 released!
I am pretty satisfied of the result =)
Standard minotaur.
Standard minotaur.
minotaur_v1_brown.png (5.88 KiB) Viewed 9125 times
Badass version! xD
Badass version! xD
minotaur_v1_black.png (5.77 KiB) Viewed 9125 times
Feel free to leave your impression =)

“Think of the fierce energy concentrated in an acorn! You bury it in the ground, and it explodes into an oak! Bury a sheep, and nothing happens but decay.” ~ George Bernard Shaw
Eagle_11

Re: Minotauro V.1 Release!

Post by Eagle_11 »

The backhair doesnt look good, as if a crystalline substance has grown out of him. Old's hair was better.
Lacks team color, ideas may include a nose-ring, face-paint or a tatoo somewhere.
pyndragon

Post by pyndragon »

I really like this! Can't wait to see the animations :D
AKA pydsigner
Current maintainer of The North Wind and author of Heroics Mode.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

I think that your minotaur has a bit too much texture and not enough form. Plus, four colors doesn't seem like it's enough, and your palette was really really desaturated. The paintover isn't anywhere near complete, but hopefully it helps, since going by the thread title you plan to keep working on the minotaur anyways,
Great_Mage_Atari

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

I'm really liking where all this is going. However, I have only a couple concerns.

The face doesn't look that much like a bull's. It's frightening, sure, but it looks like it has a reptilian nose. The face in general needs to be a bit elongated to show a snout and bull nose. Also, the hair doesn't look quite right. It seems awkward when at that angle, and it may look a bit better with colors that more closely match the minotaur's main body hair color.
Manveru89

Re: Minotauro V.1,6 Download

Post by Manveru89 »

Great_Mage_Atari wrote:I'm really liking where all this is going. However, I have only a couple concerns.

The face doesn't look that much like a bull's. It's frightening, sure, but it looks like it has a reptilian nose. The face in general needs to be a bit elongated to show a snout and bull nose. Also, the hair doesn't look quite right. It seems awkward when at that angle, and it may look a bit better with colors that more closely match the minotaur's main body hair color.
Thank you for commenting =) I will consider your suggestions and see what it can be done.
Zerovirus wrote: I think that your minotaur has a bit too much texture and not enough form. Plus, four colors doesn't seem like it's enough, and your palette was really really desaturated. The paintover isn't anywhere near complete, but hopefully it helps, since going by the thread title you plan to keep working on the minotaur anyways,
Very well, yours are very expertise suggestions and I am glad to receive them. I found your minotaur version amazing =)
If you wonder whether I am working on your sketch the answer is yes, I pick it up yesterday but left at about middle way, need some motivation and I will post it when completed.

But in the meantime I made a standing animation for my minotaur, which I think it is not so bad considering this is literally my second ever attempt to animate a pixel sprite.
Standing animation 3+1 frame
Standing animation 3+1 frame
minotaur-warrior-standing.gif (7.5 KiB) Viewed 8929 times
DOWNLOAD Minotaur v.1.6 wild and warrior, ready to play =)
minotaur_v1.6.7z
Minotaur wild and warrior ready to use.
Note: Italian only description for the time.
(50 KiB) Downloaded 429 times
Level 4 size
Size comparison Level 4 (zoomx2)
Size comparison Level 4 (zoomx2)
minotaur-vs-yeti-x2.png (9.68 KiB) Viewed 8929 times
Let me know what you think about the parameters of the units ;)
x) made for fun
x) made for fun
you_shall_not_pass-wesnoth255colours.png (37.3 KiB) Viewed 8929 times
Guys it looks amazing ingame!!! =D love it!
Guys you should see how it looks badass in game with standing animation! Download it and try! =)
Guys you should see how it looks badass in game with standing animation! Download it and try! =)
I forgot to reply to Eagle_11 and pyndragon, sorry.
pyndragon, well there is the first animation I made, and thanks for the appreciation.
Eagle_11 thank you for the suggestions, I like the idea of a ring nose it may be more original and bull like.

Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

I dont get why you made the Warrior into just a copy with axe and removed all bits of armor but then again its your sprite. :|
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I agree with Eagle_11, the little bits of bling you originally had on the warrior looked nice.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

really cool :)
pls continue making stuff like this. 8)
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
Nikita_Sadkov

Post by Nikita_Sadkov »

Okay. I've made a crude attack anim, using a few frames from the first post.

Also included dissected parts, in case someone wants to make more anims or a franken sprite.
Attachments
minotauro-parts.png
minotauro-parts.png (6.1 KiB) Viewed 8207 times
minotauro-attack-sheet.png
minotauro-attack-sheet.png (7.51 KiB) Viewed 8208 times
minotauro-attack.gif
minotauro-attack.gif (8.95 KiB) Viewed 8208 times