Map edit request

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
RaustBD

Map edit request

Post by RaustBD »

Note: This started out as a WML question about the adventure path commands. Further down it becomes a minor art request.

So I'm just wondering how the dotted line map system works, where it shows the trail you've traveled throughout the campaign. I see coordinate numbers, do those numbers respond to pixels on the map graphic used? If I want to use the system, can I just open the map an image editor and mark the pixel coordinates of the places I want to use and then put that in the code?

Some context: My campaign involves a territory and a city not on the Wesnoth map, and since I figure any attempt on my part to edit the map to add in a new place would look hideous, I thought I'd outline the territory in travel dotted lines in a circle, then mark the city's location with a red battle sword cross. Is there a problem with this? Do I have better options?
Last edited by RaustBD on December 22nd, 2013, 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dugi

Re: Dotted line map system?

Post by Dugi »

I see coordinate numbers, do those numbers respond to pixels on the map graphic used? If I want to use the system, can I just open the map an image editor and mark the pixel coordinates of the places I want to use and then put that in the code?
Yes and yes.
I thought I'd outline the territory in travel dotted lines in a circle, then mark the city's location with a red battle sword cross. Is there a problem with this?
I was never trying this, but it should work if thinking about the code, but I can't assure that it will look good.
Do I have better options?
You can place there any custom image, all you need is to customise the macros that are used to mark the journey. But a custom image is equally problematic than editing the map image itself.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

you can also place own travel images. I for example use this
newcamp.png
newcamp.png (3.87 KiB) Viewed 4322 times
to mark places were you're getting attacked, instead of attacking.
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

RaustBD wrote:Some context: My campaign involves a territory and a city not on the Wesnoth map, and since I figure any attempt on my part to edit the map to add in a new place would look hideous, I thought I'd outline the territory in travel dotted lines in a circle, then mark the city's location with a red battle sword cross. Is there a problem with this? Do I have better options?
Well, in that particular case I'd just rather do the same thing directly in an image editor; use a clone stamp tool or something to place the dots, for example. Same result, but without a need to write down a gazillion coordinates.

Or you could post a sketch of what sort of alteration you want the map to have and someone with better editing skills might do it for you.
RaustBD

Post by RaustBD »

zookeeper wrote: Or you could post a sketch of what sort of alteration you want the map to have and someone with better editing skills might do it for you.
Oh! Really? Sorry, I was under the impression that that was rude when you don't already have the campaign complete. In that case...
Map Changes.png
If somebody decides they'd like to help me out here, I'd appreciate two images, the first with just the Orcscar marked, and the second with both the Orcscar and Eskard marked (So I can show the before and after of Eskard's founding in the story section).

Edit: Should I have made a separate thread for this?
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

RaustBD wrote:Should I have made a separate thread for this?
I can (and did) move it to the proper art forum since it's become a request. No need for another thread. :)
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
RaustBD

Re: Map edit request

Post by RaustBD »

Thanks, I appreciate it :)
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

RaustBD wrote:If somebody decides they'd like to help me out here, I'd appreciate two images, the first with just the Orcscar marked, and the second with both the Orcscar and Eskard marked (So I can show the before and after of Eskard's founding in the story section).
You sure you wouldn't rather use the new-style maps?

Assuming that you would, how does this look?
Attachments
sample.jpg
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

zookeeper wrote:Assuming that you would, how does this look?
It may fit in TB campaign. :D
How about "Toen Caric" = "Eskard" ?
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
RaustBD

Post by RaustBD »

zookeeper wrote:
RaustBD wrote:If somebody decides they'd like to help me out here, I'd appreciate two images, the first with just the Orcscar marked, and the second with both the Orcscar and Eskard marked (So I can show the before and after of Eskard's founding in the story section).
You sure you wouldn't rather use the new-style maps?

Assuming that you would, how does this look?
HOLY COW THAT IS AWESOME! Now I just need a picture without Eskard and I'll be all set!
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Here you go, two overlays to put on top of the new 1.11 titlescreen/HttT map in your story screen. I figured that's better than having two full copies of the otherwise identical 2.7MB map, although if you need that for some reason (such as using these in 1.10.x...) then I guess it's pretty obvious how to do it in GIMP or wherever.
Attachments
orcscar_eskard_overlay.png
orcscar_overlay.png
RaustBD

Post by RaustBD »

Thanks a ton! I got my campaign working in 1.11.7 and it's frankly beautiful!