Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Paulomats Art

Post by Paulomat4 »

Well hello. I decided to create my own Avatar for this Forum, since I was around a certain time. As i have nearly no skills in Pixelart :augh: my work consisted mainly of Frankensteining and some inking. I probably want to use it later in some campaign, but if someone wants to use it just do it. Please tell me what you think of it.
Attachments
White Paladin with wings +shadow1+elfhead.png
White Paladin with wings +shadow1+elfhead.png (9.87 KiB) Viewed 7207 times
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
Piko555

Re: Paulomats Art

Post by Piko555 »

Don't use a smooth resizing! It burns my eyes! :augh:
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Well, i tried to improve it a bit. I've changed the right wing to match the angle of view, but i don't like it. I think i'll redo it. I also worked on the boots. don't know what to think of them too. Also i tried not to make it so smooth, by recolouring many parts of him. so here's the new sprite:
Attachments
Finished white Paladin.PNG
Finished white Paladin.PNG (8.92 KiB) Viewed 7134 times

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Another version...
Attachments
Finished white Paladin.PNG (8.67 KiB) Viewed 7080 times

Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I haven't noticed any change between the two last version, but he is still suffering from the fuzziness from being resized (just do not resize him, okay?). Additionally, some parts of his body were redrawn and look worse.

The wings don't seem to be coming from his back, it just looks like one, two-sided wing on his back. Why don't you use the wings from Era of Myths?

Btw, I was making a sprite of similar style, also mostly by frankensteining, here is the result that you can use if you want (though the hand holding the mace does not look exactly well).
Attachments
celestial.png
celestial.png (5.78 KiB) Viewed 7069 times
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

I know, i already considered taking his wings, but then i decided to take the wings from the herald unit. I didn't really see any difference between the wings. :lol2:
I have saw the mistake with the wing and reworked on it. The change between the last two versions were the feet. (actually i changed again to the feet from the first version.) The shadow is also different. I just resized the head, and thought that i corrected it a bit. :hmm: :augh:
Finished white Paladin.PNG (8.82 KiB) Viewed 7064 times
In the meantime i have also been working on another unit, some sort of mage.
Mage.PNG
Mage.PNG (8.03 KiB) Viewed 7064 times

Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

some quick edits on a female elvish Halberdiers making males out of them.
lvl 2
Pikeman man.png
Pikeman man.png (7.68 KiB) Viewed 7024 times
and lvl 3
Halberdier man.png
Halberdier man.png (6.48 KiB) Viewed 7024 times

Dugi

Post by Dugi »

The chestplates of the white paladin, mage and pikeman totally lack detail, there is just some fuzzy something. You should edit it pixel by pixel.

As I said before, the wings of the white paladin look weird, there is no end of one and beginning of another one.

The you-shall-not-pass-mage's armour does not fit to the rest of the sprite. His beard lacks detail too.

The halberdier looks okay, just I can't tell why is the cloak hanging from under his pauldron.

I think your general problem is painting over some body parts, removing all detail. You can't make it with some kind of fuzzy brush, you have to paint it pixel by pixel after a rough sketch.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

The chestplates of the white paladin, mage and pikeman totally lack detail, there is just some fuzzy something. You should edit it pixel by pixel.

As I said before, the wings of the white paladin look weird, there is no end of one and beginning of another one.
I tried to improve both, but i don't know, the wings look a bit batlike for me now.
Attachments
White paladin.PNG
White paladin.PNG (8.83 KiB) Viewed 7012 times

Dugi

Post by Dugi »

The lacking detail was a bit improved, but I think that it might need 1-2 more colour levels.

The wings look better, though a bit bat like as you said. You can try to copy the shape I have taken from a certain unit from Ageless Era (or from the sprite I posted). That one does not look neither weird, neither bat-like.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

I proudly present you my first animation ever. It's the elvish Halberdier slashing someone.
Animation-slashing-slow.gif
Animation-slashing-slow.gif (8.64 KiB) Viewed 6991 times
You can try to copy the shape I have taken from a certain unit from Ageless Era (or from the sprite I posted).
Was it the herald unit? I noticed some similarity's between the wings when playing your campaign.

Piko555

Post by Piko555 »

Kinda nice. But the animation lacks about 2-3 frames per each frame it have got.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Was it the herald unit? I noticed some similarity's between the wings when playing your campaign.
I have only noted it was from something from a faction named celestials originally from Era of Myths, but one of them was called herald as far as I remember.

The animation is nice. If the original wasn't animated as I suppose, it's a really nice job. Piko is right that it might need a bit more frames, but even a short animation is better than the usual UMC's unanimated sprites whose headbutts hurt eyes. Just set accelerated movement to 3 and it will be fine.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

I cheated and switched around a couple of frames.
Attachments
Animation-slashing-new.gif
Animation-slashing-new.gif (7.14 KiB) Viewed 6961 times
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

well i don't really see a difference, i only added the defense frame in my animation. Sure, the attack animation itself doesn't has this extra frame. Also i made the animation itself a bit slowwer, so you could comment on eventual flaws.
I also worked on the wings of the Paladin and came up with two different versions:
White paladin great wings.PNG
White paladin great wings.PNG (7.41 KiB) Viewed 6919 times
White paladin other  wings.PNG
White paladin other wings.PNG (7.77 KiB) Viewed 6920 times