Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
goerge

Lighting?

Post by goerge »

You know what would help my pill bug?
If I knew exactly where the lighting was coming from it would help me tremendously.
It appers to come from the upper left on the elvish archers but I'm not sure...
Dugi

Re: Lighting?

Post by Dugi »

What are you talking about?

If you want to get any help, better post links or quotes to make us know what is that pill bug. And what is its relation to elvish archers.

And if I understood correctly the very little information you posted, the lightning halo has three animation, and one of them is chosen (perhaps randomly) when a unit attacks with a lightning. Each of these three lightnings comes from elsewhere, but this can be done with some halo offsets. It should not be a problem to determinate all these numbers using a graphics editor like GIMP.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

He’s asking about the lighting standards used in Wesnoth sprites (as in light sources), not lightning. Also, by checking his previous posts in this forum I found this topic.

In Creating_Unit_Art in the wiki I found this:
Light comes from the artist's (not the unit's!) upper right (for shading and highlights)
No idea whether that’s official or not, though, but that seems to be what I have been unconsciously using (or trying to use) all these years.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Excuse me, seems I can't read. His pill bug was totally confusing.
Speedbrain

Post by Speedbrain »

shadowmaster wrote: in the wiki I found this:
Light comes from the artist's (not the unit's!) upper right (for shading and highlights)
No idea whether that’s official or not, though, but that seems to be what I have been unconsciously using (or trying to use) all these years.
Keep in mind that this is the general guideline when you are creating the unit facing south-east.
The game will flip units to face south-west, in which case it will look like the light is coming from the upper left.
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

In my personal opinion, the light direction is part of the info about which direction the unit is facing, even if the light direction not consciously identified.
But it would probably develop into a long demagogical argument, which I am not interested in.

Example:
'the units are flipped anyway, so the light direction doesn't matter' would be a rather useless argument against 'flipped light direction is part of the info about the unit being flipped'.
But the discussion of the point would probably be a futile heroic effort, suitable for the real fanatics (= not me).
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

I found the thread for the pill bug http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=37926
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

shadowmaster wrote:In Creating_Unit_Art in the wiki I found this:
I wrote that during my overhaul of the art-related section of the wiki earlier this year. I don't think I ever obtained written verification from Jetrel or tsi, but it's definitely the official standard given what I've been told over the course of my art career here, as well as the empirically observable lighting on the mainline sprites.
Speedbrain wrote:Keep in mind that this is the general guideline when you are creating the unit facing south-east.
The game will flip units to face south-west, in which case it will look like the light is coming from the upper left.
Yes, the upper-right lightsource does require that the unit is drawn facing to the south-east. Given that the south-east facing is the default for sprites, I did not consider it necessary to mention this in the wiki.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
goerge

Post by goerge »

shadowmaster wrote:He’s asking about the lighting standards used in Wesnoth sprites (as in light sources), not lightning. Also, by checking his previous posts in this forum I found this topic.

In Creating_Unit_Art in the wiki I found this:
You correctly answered my question. Thanks! I was having a real problem trying to picture a unit with out knowing from which direction the light camne from!