Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Re: Strategic map terrain -large scale map

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

That looks usable… guess I'll have to set aside some time to do it now.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

It was good that the image could be used. I don't hurry, so work when you have time.
Thank you.
Creator of "Mountain Witch" & "Castle of evil spirit"
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Gave it a try and I think I got it working… though it seems that the three-way intersection of rivers and roads is broken? Is that the case with the version on the add-on server? EDIT: Oh wait, maybe the issue is just that the set of three-way rivers and roads is incomplete?
Sample:
Also, I can do this myself, but if you happen to have a spare moment, it would be helpful to have images that combine the three straight rivers with their corresponding bridge, for use in the editor.

EDIT: Also got the wood-to-water transition working… unfortunately it doesn't mesh well with the flat-to-water transition…
Sample:
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

Can this be used for the image of the bridge?
bridge-ne-s-nw.png
bridge-ne-s-nw.png (5.73 KiB) Viewed 1757 times
bridge-n-se-sw.png
bridge-n-se-sw.png (5.75 KiB) Viewed 1757 times
Indeed, the transition from wood to water not only does not mesh with flats, but also does not seem to fit the concept of the map. The boundary between water and other terrain looks more natural with a flat coastline.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

IIIO_METAL wrote: April 19th, 2021, 4:16 am Can this be used for the image of the bridge?
Hmm… I don't think I can make those images work. The terrain I've added isn't a bridge - it's a river with a bridge over it, and there are three terrains, not two.
IIIO_METAL wrote: April 19th, 2021, 4:16 am Indeed, the transition from wood to water not only does not mesh with flats, but also does not seem to fit the concept of the map. The boundary between water and other terrain looks more natural with a flat coastline.
I think it does actually look better than the existing transition from wood to water, which uses the flat-to-water transition but has no wood-to-flat transition between the forest and the coastline, just a hard line. It may even be sufficiently better to just use it despite it not meshing well with the flat-to-water transition…
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

Um ... this?
river-bridge-se-nw.png
river-bridge-se-nw.png (5.63 KiB) Viewed 1660 times
river-bridge-ne-sw.png
river-bridge-ne-sw.png (5.7 KiB) Viewed 1660 times
river-bridge-n-s.png
river-bridge-n-s.png (5.49 KiB) Viewed 1660 times
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

I tried reproducing the map from the opening post (but using the new bridges in place of road/river crossings) and found that there are still a lot of missing details. For example, roads should connect to bridges and settlements, and that mock-up has a sort of outline around the settlement when it's placed on a forest. Intersections also don't work correctly in both roads and rivers (a subset of intersections works, but not all possible ones).

One thing I was debating was whether it would make more sense to just treat settlements as roads in the track placer code, or if I should offer both connected and disconnected variants.
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

I don't think many people want to let players actually fight on this map.
When I used this terrain set, I didn't need the village to have village terrain functionality. So it's okay for the village to be integrated into the road.
If that simplifies the code a bit, I think it's better.

I learned a little about terrain-graphics. What I found out was that this was an incredibly complex and esoteric puzzle. :shock:
I don't have a good understanding of the structure of the graphic image needed for the terrain, so I need to get a better understanding. :hmm:
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

lol my old login is still working!

I love Ilio's work! You could technical treat the bridge like a "village" or you could treat it as "river with a bridge" if my use of the "old wooden bridge macro" is still used for this.

In case you treat "bridge" like a graphic version of "village": If you want the endings of a river go directly into a "village" the river on the ring around the village has to point away (or too) the center (village or bridge). That would be most easy to do. My rational originally was that at that scale a rivercrossing is allways combined with a settlement. Therefore I was not really into a bridge myself.

If you want "river with bridge" all the river files would be needed with a bridge on top of it. The terrain code of "river" would have to be copied. Moreover "river" and "river with bridge" must interact with each other. I am not sure if this can be done easily.

It is allway a year ago since this was a topic again. But anyway keep up the good work!
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

I chose the simplest solution and placed the image of the bridge using [item].
I'm trying to create a campaign using this map image, but it will still take some time to complete.
Wussel, thank you for making a nice map! :D
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Cool idea! Keep it up!
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer