Tents

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
TheScribe

Tents

Post by TheScribe »

If you'll notice in the following picture, the tent village has no bottom. This isn't a problem on dirt, but on grass terrain, it means the people inside are sleeping on grass. Now this isn't a problem, but if they had time they'd probably clear out the bottom, especially on dry grass. This isn't a big problem, but tents are used in almost every scenario of the campaign I'm working on. So, as a break from coding, but not a break from Wesnoth, I'm working on these:
This is the tent pasted on top of the grass terrain
This is the tent pasted on top of the grass terrain
Grassy Village.png (10.38 KiB) Viewed 4417 times
This is the dirt added around the tents
This is the dirt added around the tents
Grassy Village2.png (10.36 KiB) Viewed 4417 times
I'm asking for comments, critiques, and any help possible.
Last edited by TheScribe on October 25th, 2012, 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
enchilado

Re: Tents

Post by enchilado »

Why would they clear out the grass? It's a lot cleaner and more comfortable than dirt.
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

Have you ever laid down on dried out grass? It hurts.

Maybe not for regular grass, but would be done for dry grass. Plus that would clear any rocks or twigs.

And as for the cleanness, IMO dirt is more tolerable on the body than peices of grass.
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

It seems to me like the existing terrain overlays mechanism already allows us to choose whether we want dirt beneath tents, as well as the amount according to the encampment size and population.
Attachments
tent-overlay-test.png
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

Yes, but if I want a tent surrounded by grass, it doesn't work as well. Plus, I want it to have the feel of a camp, rather than just a tent.

Oh, and I'm not suggesting this for mainline, just my campaign.

Thanks though.
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

If people carry around tents to sleep in I imagine they would bring blankets as well to put on the ground inside? Anyway, the dirt needs shadow from the tent and some texture. And maybe you could have a few straws of grass overlapping the bottom edges, makes it look less like an image over an image.
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

Sleepwalker wrote:If people carry around tents to sleep in I imagine they would bring blankets as well to put on the ground inside? Anyway, the dirt needs shadow from the tent and some texture. And maybe you could have a few straws of grass overlapping the bottom edges, makes it look less like an image over an image.
Yeah, they might. I'd still clear it though. And it's an easy enough thing to use as practice. (which I need :annoyed: )

You're right. I'll try that and post the results.
SFault

Post by SFault »

You might want to add some randomness to the transition between the grass and dirt to make it more natural/hand-made. Now the straight aligned transition makes it seem like they used rulers and machines to get rid of grass.
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
dacurrlywon

Post by dacurrlywon »

Now I'm a Scout - and our tents have Sewn in Ground SHEETS these are not visible from the outside or for the ones that don't like the canvas ones we have separate ground sheets which are also no visible from the outside - because if they were the rain would fall onto the ground sheet and straight into the tent... :lol2: so I suggest IMHO just adding a little colour to the front door so it looks like there might be a sheet there... ( I sleep on top of the ground sheet on grass)
DCW :whistle:
I'm a noob ... though played a long time on and off since version 1.2 .. keep up the good work!
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

dacurrlywon wrote:Now I'm a Scout - and our tents have Sewn in Ground SHEETS these are not visible from the outside or for the ones that don't like the canvas ones we have separate ground sheets which are also no visible from the outside - because if they were the rain would fall onto the ground sheet and straight into the tent... :lol2: so I suggest IMHO just adding a little colour to the front door so it looks like there might be a sheet there... ( I sleep on top of the ground sheet on grass)
DCW :whistle:
There is no rain in wesnoth. The soil is moistened only by sweat, blood and tears.
Last edited by Blarumyrran on October 25th, 2012, 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

It still seems like a good idea to me. In which case, this is a little unnessecary. I'll see what adding a little color for a sheet would do. (Again, this is only for practice, as any bigger changes to anything just don't work out for me. I'm no artist...)

EDIT: just thought I'd mention that I'm not thinking that anything that comes out of this will be used