Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
JAP
Art Contributor

Non Wesnoth art "Ironclad"

Post by JAP »

I have started some work on a turnbased marine warfare game named Ironclad.
I might talk abit more about that game later, for now i just want some comments on the victory and defeat screens.
Is it clear enough what is going on?

Regards Joakim

Edit: changed the victory screen according to critique.
Attachments
Victory_new.png
Last edited by JAP on July 18th, 2012, 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
perseo

Re: Non Wesnoth art "Ironclad"

Post by perseo »

I don't know if the cap is supposed to be floating in the sea but just in case, it seems to be flying... The drawing could be more "lose screen"... i don't know it's quite neutral.
"I was pulling a barrow, when I saw a stalking horse
what a beautiful day!- he said- for visiting a red herring
and getting hoarse."
Working on this campaign: The septentrional tower
JAP
Art Contributor

Post by JAP »

It is supposed to be floating in the oily water, implying that you are drowned and your ship sunk.
But if that isnt clear i have to rethink the lose screen, any ideas for a god lose screen?

edit: any comments on the victory screen?
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

I think the meaning of the defeat screen is pretty clear, it's just that, like perseo said, the cap seems to be floating. So I don't think entirely redoing it is necessary. The victory screen, though isn't as clear. I think it would be more obvious if you could see an enemy submarine sinking in the horizon.
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

I like both your portraits, however I would like to add that in your victory screen, the sky looks like one of Turner's paintings, however the man, in direct contrast, looks like a 3D computer model, whilst the ship's side looks like a photograph. This is a little unsettling to see three completely different styles juxtaposed in a single portrait.
High over valleys in the red levelling rays -
In din of crowded streets, going among the years, the faces,
May I still meet my memory in so lonely a place
Between the streams and the red clouds, hearing the curlews, Hearing the horizons endure.
perseo

Post by perseo »

@Amorphous, actually there's smoke on the horizon meaning a enemy submarine sinking, I guess.
The problem on the first image is that the cap doesn't have the same lighting than the sea surface so it seems to be in other place you know, the black part should be under the water in the position because of the cap shape, also try to make a wet fabric effect on the part which is in contact with the water.
"I was pulling a barrow, when I saw a stalking horse
what a beautiful day!- he said- for visiting a red herring
and getting hoarse."
Working on this campaign: The septentrional tower
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

Yes but the smoke can be misconstrued as an island, the orange being the beach.
Between the streams and the red clouds, hearing the curlews, Hearing the horizons endure.
JAP
Art Contributor

Post by JAP »

Great this is the kind of critiqe i was hopping for!

It is not actually supposed to be submarins (but i can see that it is easy to make that misstake).
It is supposed to be Monitor class armoured ships( hence the name "Ironclad" ). The kind that almost all of the worlds navys built after the originall USS Monitor had its battle against the CSS Virginia.
The victory screen, though isn't as clear. I think it would be more obvious if you could see an enemy submarine sinking in the horizon
To make it clearer by ading some wreckage is a god idea, perheps the ship is broken in half? I will do something about that.
the sky looks like one of Turner's paintings, however the man, in direct contrast, looks like a 3D computer model, whilst the ship's side looks like a photograph. This is a little unsettling to see three completely different styles juxtaposed in a single portrait.
Actually everything is originally a photograph (including the sky and sea), But i see what you mean i will try to make the man and ship more painterly.
The problem on the first image is that the cap doesn't have the same lighting than the sea surface so it seems to be in other place you know, the black part should be under the water in the position because of the cap shape, also try to make a wet fabric effect on the part which is in contact with the water.
True, i will fix that when i redo the image (i dont think it is clear enough that there is oil in the water anyway).
JAP
Art Contributor

Post by JAP »

How about this updated version (see the edited opening post) ?
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

Definitely better, though the problem is still there(mainly with the man), but it doesn't matter. Also, the first ironclads were La Gloire, launched 1859, and the HMS Warrior, neither of which were American.