Cartographic terrain

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
lipk

Cartographic terrain

Post by lipk »

Took the idea from here, linked from here. I planned to use it as a world map tileset in a megalomaniac open-world campaign, but I don't think I will ever get to do that, and anyways, there's no reason why this should sit in the attic.

Currently available terrains:
- flat
- ocean
- mountain
- hill (although the transitions are awful)
- forest
- city & fortress

Contributions are totally welcome, xcf sources are included in the tarball.
cartodemo.png
Attachments
cartographic.tar.gz
(231.08 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
SFault

Re: Cartographic terrain

Post by SFault »

Maybe the hills are too crowded to make a nice transition. Sparse a little.
Attachments
sparse
sparse
hills.png (58.8 KiB) Viewed 2559 times
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
lipk

Post by lipk »

That indeed could make it much easier to draw a pretty transition, but I'd like to have the style as close to the main map's as possible. And hills are quite crowded there :wink:
Shakeshake

Post by Shakeshake »

I really like this!
While I think you meant it more for "world map" use in campaigns, I can't help but want to play on it!
I think it would be super cool if there was a whole era in this style (complete with a faction for all the weird monsters that get drawn on the edges of maps).
I'm no artist myself, but it seems like the simplified style might make drawing such sprites relatively easy (although, then again due to the limited color pallette the images would have to be very clear so as to be differentiated).
I realize you're mainly posting it here because you're not working on it anymore, but just in case you get the itch to return to it, I just wanted to say I think a whole "cartographic era" would be amazing.
lipk

Post by lipk »

I'm glad you like it :)
It's not right, this is not yet abandoned. However, I'm not planning to implement every standard terrain, just the ones that can be used for a map too. The cartographic era sounds like a cool idea, although I'd rather imagine it as a Risk-like game. It's not on my todo list at the moment, but if someone started to work on it, I'd be happy to help with the coding (and with the art as well, but my skills are kind of limited in that area).